Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
feed is one of the pair of contacts, see copper trace running to testconnector nearby.

If it doesn't ask for PIN though it's supposed to, then you either got a bad SIM, or bad SIM contacts (both the pads on SIM and the springs in N900) or your RAPUYAMA modem chips suffer from bad soldering or other chip internal errors.

While you can fix the SIM contact issue by bending and cleaning ([blue rubber-]eraser with sand is good for strong cleaning, a thin unvarnished paperboard - like some business cards are - for gentle cleaning), you can't do much for the soldering problems, except ask some repair shop or send in to Nokia for warranty replacement.

Seems this is a widespread problem.

good luck and cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2011-05-16 at 10:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Europe
had recently the same error and no imei shows on device/ about+no pin request when starts. Reflashed whit latest global fiasco,but the problem remain.Then i reflashed(like i always did before)whit latest UK fiasco,restarted and it works like a charm!Maybe i am lucky and i don't have the hardware problem (althought my phone is 4 years old) but all of those who didn't try to reflash whit Uk version it's worth trying!

The Following User Says Thank You to rslick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I bought an "almost new" phone here on TMO, among the many problems was inserting a tight fit double scud battery would make the SIM go red-line after about half a day.
Try a different battery, it probably wont work in your case but worth an attempt.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: