Quick little question: Is there a way to take the input from the onboard microphone and send it out on the earphone port? Essentially a "hearing aid" or remote microphone app?

I want to do it so I can use a 3.5MM male-male connector to connect it to the line-in jack on my desktop, when my other mics aren't available.
I did this with my last mp3 player, an iRiver H320 with Rockbox on it - It worked out great. I'm just trying to figure out how I can do it with my N900.

Last edited by RobbieThe1st; 2010-10-18 at 07:03.

i know this is possible on a full pulseaudio installation, where you set the output as a monitor of an input, but im not sure if maemo's stripped down pulseaudio system has that feature

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
arecord | aplay, monitor how the phone app changes alsa switches to reroute audio to the earphone.
I'm not sure how you could remove the delay though.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
assuming you have gstreamer tools isntalled, at a terminal prompt:

gst-launch pulsesrc device=source.hw0 ! audioconvert ! volume volume=2.5 ! pulsesink device=sink.hw0

As M.AG says you will experience a delay between audio in and routing out but depending on the applicaiton you want to put it to this may not be a killer for you.

I've added a dash of volume as I find the output a little quiet otherwise. Feel free to change the value to taste.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
mr id's solution works, and isn't terribly laggy. I'll call that good.

this is a brilliant idea! one question though: is it necessary to "deactivate" it afterwards and how? i've just found out about this thread and i'll give it a try after i find out if deactivation is needed.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
no. but you would terminate it though. ctrl+c at the terminal where it's running (or just close the terminal window).

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Hello,

After some experiments, I found out the following command that allowed me to make my bluetooth hands free work like talkietalkie with my n900, having headset:

gst-launch pulsesrc device=source.hw1 ! audioconvert ! volume volume=100 ! pulsesink device=sink.hw0 pulsesrc device=source.hw0 ! audioconvert ! volume volume=100 ! pulsesink device=sink.hw1

also if you want only to listen from the bluetooth handsfree microphone to the phone:

gst-launch pulsesrc device=source.hw1 ! audioconvert ! volume volume=100 ! pulsesink device=sink.hw0

Enjoy

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nas For This Useful Post: