Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I got interested in this topic and compared prices for three phones in my country: the iPhone 3Gs, the Nokia N97 and the Nokia N900. I took the original price (day they became available here) and the price 6 months later. Prices are taken from an online service that lists cheapest available offers.

Here are the results expressed as "price after 6 months as percent of original price":

iPhone 3Gs: 79% of the original price
Nokia N97: 82% of the original price
Nokia N900: 87% of the original price

In other words, somebody who bought an iPhone 3GS on day 1 lost 21% of his money if he sold the device half a year later. N97 owners lost 18% and N900 owners would lose only 13%.
This is indeed true in stores (where prices rarely drop or the drop isn't significant) however in the used market is where the N900 takes a beat.

Dunno about other places, but here in Portugal (Yeah we got a N900 or two, Thanks Valério !) an USED iPhone 3GS can go for around 500/550€ while a used N97 goes for around 350€ and the rare fews (i've seen 2 N900's) are going for around 390€.

The few people I know that bought an N900 either switched to other "phones" since they didn't take the time to research this was indeed a full Linux box with all the goods and the bads that come with it or had hardware problems (screens/mics/reboots) and no avaiable replacement so they got another equipment.

Some still have it but aren't that quite happy since they were excepting more of a phone and less of a computer. For me this is the most awesome device i've ever owned (Came from several HTC's/Asus running WM or Android) but the Linux sysadmining for some years can help a bit with that...

for the record, I am waiting/hoping for the price to go below $210usd; so that I can buy a few more.

Last edited by cheve; 2010-05-22 at 04:01.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I was halfway expecting accurate links to some place that had the N900 for under $300 USD. Damn.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Ok to make the OP happy, I am humbly willing to sell you my N900 for $650...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I was halfway expecting accurate links to some place that had the N900 for under $300 USD. Damn.
From your thanks count I'm guessing you've been eligible for the developer program discount from the outset. It was $370 USD (shipping included) and the offer was good until about mid-December. I was still on the fence the Friday before the expiration (no warranty, and USB port fears) when I finally decided to pull the trigger. The Euro dipped right about then and I've been happily bangin' away on my $357(8?) n900 for exactly 6 months.

The first Nokia MeeGo device is rumored to also be using a Cortex A-8. So, besides a multi-touch capacitive screen and maybe a higher pixel count camera, what could the other hardware changes be? Maybe 802.11n? A 4G radio? Digital compass? It's still kind of mind boggling that the n900 has an FM transceiver (notice I didn't say receiver) and an IR transmitter. How the hell did this thing ever make it to market?

The n900 is a bizarre device, but not that shocking. The hardware changes from the 770 to the n900 have sometimes been a roller coaster ride: The n800 has an FM reciever, but no GPS. The n810 has GPS, but no FM reciever. And now the n900 has an FM transceiver and an IR port. What? The n900 kind of reminds of one of those really fat Swiss Army knives that few ever buy, 'cause how many people really need a fork, spoon, and magnifying glass in one pocket.

Anyway, the developer program discount was a good deal, and if the n900 ends up running a solid version of MeeGo, and then gets a good price drop ($245 - $285) when the first Nokia MeeGo device gets announced, it shouldn't be a surprise if the n900 enjoys a minor revival about then. It's certainly one of a kind, and possibly could have a long life.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
From your thanks count I'm guessing you've been eligible for the developer program discount from the outset.
Nope. My karma outside of the forum is rather low due to lack of participation. A couple of bug reports, a request... nothing more than that.

I did have one gentleman here offer me his discount, but at that time I just had purchased Christmas gifts for my family and donated a bunch to some local organizations. So I was incredibly tapped.

$370 is good, I'm still gonna hold out for under $300 USD though. But with the lack of features that I want, I'm sticking to my N810 for the moment (bigger screen, a revival that's actually worth it at the moment)

2018,I got a used N900 for $20. And my dream finally come true.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to homejogger For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
Originally Posted by homejogger View Post
2018,I got a used N900 for $20. And my dream finally come true.
where from??? i want to buy three more!

The Following User Says Thank You to tcbl50 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by tcbl50 View Post
where from??? i want to buy three more!
Here in my country its very very rare but when you find one its around 15-20$. I found one a month ago for around 13$ with usb port broken which can be fixed here for 2$.