I was wondering what kind of multitasking does the OS support (preemptive, cooperative, or no support)? Can two or more programs run at the same time? Can it run a cron job at the background, while say watching a video or surfing the web?

Thanks.

I have no idea what a cron job is. Sounds obscene and icky.

Yes, the deivce fully supports multi-tasking. I've tested it's multi-tasking abilities a number of times running up to 10 applications at once.

As far a Cron goes, the mailbox auto-retrieval feature is a version of Cron I suppose.

you know cron is good

I was hoping Cron was Tron 2! Not sure what use an actual cron job could give ya on the 770...?? All I know is my web server allows cron jobs, which I guess batches server jobs.

Cron is just scheduled tasks. Alarms perhaps...

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by Mike Cane
I have no idea what a cron job is. Sounds obscene and icky.
cron is a daemon (service if you're from Redmond) that runs jobs at particular dates/times. think of it as the windows scheduler.

the "output" of a cron job is put in the email folder of the user account that runs the job.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Brasil
Originally Posted by putkowski
cron is a daemon (service if you're from Redmond) that runs jobs at particular dates/times. think of it as the windows scheduler.

the "output" of a cron job is put in the email folder of the user account that runs the job.
Pardon, I resent that "service if you're from Redmond". In my Mandriva box (and most RH derived distros, AFAIK) you can type
#service crond start|stop
for example, so calling it a service is not Redmon-centric. I would personally define a daemon as a manager of service(s); so that the crond daemon manages the cron service; the xinetd daemon may manage a lot of services, and so on. A bit OT, I guess, sorry.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by Wooky
Pardon, I resent that "service if you're from Redmond". In my Mandriva box (and most RH derived distros, AFAIK) you can type
#service crond start|stop
for example, so calling it a service is not Redmon-centric. I would personally define a daemon as a manager of service(s); so that the crond daemon manages the cron service; the xinetd daemon may manage a lot of services, and so on. A bit OT, I guess, sorry.
Actually, they're services in linux as well as given in redhatgo:

service <service name> [start][stop][restart]

You are not in the audience I addressed.

sorry.