Posts: 44 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Savannah, GA
Anybody know if the developer community is working to add some sort of VNC support to the N770? That would allow a user to remotely control their desktop on their Mac or PC and run other apps, play videos, etc.

Just wondering.

Robert ;?)

VNC is in the wanted applications list but no one has really started on it:
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Applicati...62650c98236125

Yeah, I posted this in the Apps forum, but I think I said VLC, which is wrong. This would be a sweet addition to this device. Maybe I'll shoot an email to some of the VNC dev's I know of.

The Following User Says Thank You to fermunky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by Robert Gadd (OnPoint)
Anybody know if the developer community is working to add some sort of VNC support to the N770? That would allow a user to remotely control their desktop on their Mac or PC and run other apps, play videos, etc.

Just wondering.

Robert ;?)
The device has X built in. You don't need VNC to remotely monitor, control or access any application on any computer system that has X installed. Mac OS X comes with X & there are free versions for Windows.

Visit Matthew Alum's web site at http://www.openedhand.com for more. He's the person Nokia contacted, (contracted), to make sure that this device ran Linux well. Matthew understands and respects the concept of remote display computing very well. Using this device as a remote display to any desktop, server or supercomputing cluster makes it a very useful device.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Savannah, GA
Thanks, Remote. I'll check down that path as soon as we get our first units in hand.

Robert ;?)

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Thanks, Remote. I'll check down that path as soon as we get our first units in hand.

Robert ;?)
If you click on my home page you'll see work I've already done with Internet tablets. I have an application framework for rapidly developing touchscreen apps for devices like the one shown and many customers on board. What the 770 does for me is give me the latest X, a smaller tablet and a price that's about 1/4 of what I'm paying now. The resolution of the 770 is far less, but that's OK, all things considered. Tablets are much, much more useful than PDA's, especially if they can be used as network-driven displays, not limited to the applications that have to run on the device itself.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa

Just wondering.

Robert ;?)

I have similar interests. If the browser supports JAVA, the JAVA-vncviewer should work, but that's not what I would call performance-oriented.