Android will lose its attraction at some point (as pointed out by Dave999).

However, prior to Apple/Android, it was Nokia.
And they pretty much had a monopoly in that segment.
Starting from the Nokia 5110 (1998), and ending with the Nokia N8 (2010) which lost out to the iPhone 3GS, Moto Droid, and Nexus One.

So it was a long 10-12 year reign.
So if we say the Apple/Android era started from 2009 to 2012.
Then we could say their era will end as soon as 2019, and as late as 2025 (I'm betting on the former).

So what do you think it will take to knock Apple/Android off their domination?
What kind of innovations could we expect?
Leave your comments down below!
; )

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2015-04-19 at 08:38.

In 2025, I believe we might lose the superphone industry, and actually have it superseded by wearables.

In particular, obsoleted by smartglasses or even smart lenses.

With the UI happening in your eye. Basic Navigation would've found a way to be hands-free. And virtual reality becomes a big thing.

Games would be played in your eye with a gamepad (in your hands) that you never have to see. To increase the visual clarity of the software, you can keep it running but close your eyelids and block out ambient visuals.

I expect the alarm system to be very shocking experience, hahaha

I'm flattered

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Okay... I may sound like a technophobe, but I would rather not have electronics implanted in my body. And I would be glad to see a way to be rid of wireless; while wires are cumbersome, I would think that a good design can take care of that (wires inside clothing, or something) without exposing human to electromagnetic fields. Like, optical cables, anyone?

As wireless industry expands, tin hats, foil pouches and copper tails may actually become a fashion reality ;-) Well, electromagnetic-field-isolating wallets already are...

When speaking of wearables, I am actually thinking of Stanhope ring. Compact and private display, and can be part of a "net" of gadgets, such as bracelet for measuring blood pressure (even blood oxygen and glucose levels, too, if these green, yellow, red, near-IR, IR diodes finally will be able to provide accurate enough measurements of what is happening).

If you do not need privacy, but want to keep seeing ambient environment, then forward image to glass-display, yes (semi-transparent glasses-displays should become fairly popular in the sunny places where people wear sunglasses regularly). Unfortunately, eye-focus distance makes it difficult to make not-bulky see-through electronic display-glasses.

Given how easy it is for a human to pinch their nose, electronic glasses should definitely have buttons somewhere here.

Bone conduction microphone and speakers are interesting, as well as "third eye" camera at forehead (I would say it is a more intuitive place to mount it than above the bicycle helmet).

Why do they put Bluetooth everywhere? Surely, wires are less power-hungry?

Thank you. Best wishes.

What about one of these?

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140103173630

I'm flattered

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Look to China for the next rising star.

companies like oneplus that put out high spec phones at mid-level prices. can't remember off hand, but it may be meizu, are rapidly catching samsung in terms of numbers shipped. they mostly stick to android/cyanogenmod at the moment although oneplus is developing their own derivative.

i still hope jolla put out a new phone soon as some people are going to start seeing the existing device as outdated in terms of specs, preventing some sales. the tablet work should open up more hardware options (intel processor based like asus zenphone) but only time will tell.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
No, No, No.

This has been handled through and through so many times...
Why do people keep up coming with these rumours?
What is the problem here, use your brains please. There is absolutely no sense for Nokia to start making mobile phones now, it is a stagnating market already well divided, phones are so yesterday.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
yup...phones are passe..
it's all about the install-ables.
4" emoticon screen on the forehead displaying current feelings so those around you have a "heads-up" (hehehehee) on how you're feeling....
and built-in buzzers to discreetly electrically shock those that displease...
those are the rage currently.
tomorrow it may change...(feel sorry for all those with forehead implants.)
All humour aside...
Nokia getting into the "game" again makes as much sense as the come-back of the VIC20 and the much maligned "tape drive" ....(albeit it was pretty cool back in the day).
For starters the public are tired of purchasing a new phone every year ..
I'm sure the majority of the pop. feel like they have been taken for a colossal ride the last couple of decades.
As well I'm sure the public is glutted on useless apps on do-nothing phones sporting the fastest -latest whatever that is unrecognizable with the last iteration they had.
Phones have entered the realm of the "far too common" there are way too many companies that are mass producing cheap phones and the staid tried-and-true corps can't compete any longer.
Any of the big boys stick around and it's gonna be like watching the Blockbuster corp. falling into the abyss all over again.
They failed because they wouldn't change.
Nokia was incredibly intelligent and foresighted to get out of that field when they did .
They rode the wave and new when to get off the surf board before hitting the beach.
The new mantra for the old guard at the moment is "Reinvent or die". Simple as that.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
i believe in the chineese