nice update, but shame they didn't go to ARM v8 since they decided to jump uarch from v6 anyway with this update.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
power consumption is the same at idle (1.5W), slightly higher at full single-core-load ( 1.75W vs. 1.6W for the B+), and about 1W higher at full quad core load (2.43W)
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. That's not too bad.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Wow, is energy so pricey in CZ? Using Oblomow's figures below, I calculated that running 24/7 at full 2.43W power consumes about 21.3kWh per year. With my energy provider, that costs about £3.
I was also quite surprised with the figures, but then I remembered that I made my calculations according to this post and its "worst case scenario" which predicted about 5W and therefore ~ 44kWh.

Electricity in CZ costs around 4.8CZK/kWh which is around €0.17/$0.2/£0.13 per kWH.

If it is just 2.4W or even 1.6W, it is still far less expensive.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
You have to take into account the convversion loss in your PSU so even if the device consumes 2.4w total probably comes up to 4...5 watts or so.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
so the most important feature of Raspberry Pi 2 is the increased power consumption from 1.6W to 2.4W ... the fact that it provides double the RAM and a faster multiple core CPU is nothing!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
I am a little peeved though, I upgraded to the Model B+ at Christmas, if only they had given us some prior warning of a new model ahead of release.
Then hear this:
Don't buy the Pi 2, because the Pi 3 is going to be released "soon"!

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Now the question isn't whether to buy or not, it is "what will I do with it once I have it" ???
No, the real question is:
If you think you have a use for the Pi 2, why haven't you bought some other arm board yet?
The Pi 2 specs look a lot like a Cubieboard 2 or a Cubietruck. Granted, these are more expensive, but the Pi 2 is also quite late on the market.
So unless you have serious funding problems the niche the Pi 2 could fill should already be filled.

Originally Posted by pagis View Post
so the most important feature of Raspberry Pi 2 is the increased power consumption from 1.6W to 2.4W ... the fact that it provides double the RAM and a faster multiple core CPU is nothing!
Right! The point is to bring your fuel oil bill down. The CPU cycles are just a side effect.
It's basically the Heatball principle:
http://heatball.de/en/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
So unless you have serious funding problems the niche the Pi 2 could fill should already be filled.
That depends. Sure, if you have a burning need to do a certain task and are looking for a product to do the task, then you are absolutely spot on.

On the other hand, here is a cheap toy. And - yey! - it can actually do stuff! Why don't I buy one and play with it? There. A niche filled

It's basically the Heatball principle:
I love it. 95% efficiency. But I would say that's way too wasteful. A good heatball should give at least 98%.

BTW, this sentence took me three reads until I got it. What a difference a missing comma makes: "The input energy that a heatball consumes is the effort, its heat is the benefit while light portion is the loss." (Missing comma after benefit.)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
No, the real question is:
If you think you have a use for the Pi 2, why haven't you bought some other arm board yet?
The Pi 2 specs look a lot like a Cubieboard 2 or a Cubietruck. Granted, these are more expensive, but the Pi 2 is also quite late on the market.
The Pi has, however, some advantages over the Cubies and most other ARM boards:
  • MUCH better community support (I've got a Cubietruck, the hardware is much more complete/promising - but try to get a recent kernel for it...or drivers for the CedarX multimedia unit...)
  • Most parts of the hardware are well documented now (Broadcom has openened up quite a bit...)
  • Camera interface, infrared camera available (and RAW support)
  • Free Mathematica package (probably more useful now with the quadcore and 1Gb RAM)
  • Lots of extensions available

Especially because of it's community, it's still the most fun ARM board for meat the moment, despite its disadvantages:
  • no WiFi/Bluetooth on board
  • no SATA
  • no real-time-clock
  • no battery interface
  • GPU a bit dated

BTW, I love that sentence:

During its use as a heater, HEATBALLS have an unavoidable emission of light in the visible spectrum. This light is harmless and cannot be used as a reason for reclamation.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Was considering buying a Model A... dunno what for - fun, maybe? - but with 2's specs, no way I'm doing this. Still, the major problem is - what the hell to use it for? =\

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by FlashInTheNight86 View Post
Was considering buying a Model A... dunno what for - fun, maybe? - but with 2's specs, no way I'm doing this. Still, the major problem is - what the hell to use it for? =\
XBMC?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
- No It's not!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
XBMC?
NAS?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
- No It's not!
Amen! Can that silly limit be removed? Pretty please?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
raspberry pi