Active Topics

It's certainly a nice jump up in specs and it does open up the possibilities for even more distros!

Let’s get the good stuff out of the way above the fold. Raspberry Pi 2 is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Model B+), featuring:

A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1
Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as*Microsoft Windows 10.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

I am a little peeved though, I upgraded to the Model B+ at Christmas, if only they had given us some prior warning of a new model ahead of release.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
It's certainly a nice jump up in specs and it does open up the possibilities for even more distros!
It does it, indeed! https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featur...errypi2support

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Great news that they are now using ARM v7 ISA. That means that real Debian can be used instead of Raspbian so hopefully we should see more packages focused on embedded Linux making their way back into mainline Debian. With an RPi 2 device tree, I'll be able to pop my N900 Debian SD card into it and use the same Debian installation with an HD display and a full keyboard and mouse.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Just ordered one of these beauties here in the UK. Anyone know of possibilities of actually hooking up the n900 innards onto the Pi2? (Got a broken usb on mine you see ) It would be great to see my old maemo 5 boot up on the Pi2 on my TV

AND perhaps even use the n900 keyboard and screen - selotape (ok not really selotape ) it onto the Pi and use it as a "portable" computer with it all running off the battery, It would be like some mega weird tablet lol -Just an idea at the moment lol. But maybe a possible project I will make myself do.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
widows for iot not regular windows to be clear

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Interesting.

Now the question isn't whether to buy or not, it is "what will I do with it once I have it" ???

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Oh, just three months after I bought the B+.

The question what to do with it has dozens of answers - I for one am using it as a multimedia center and couldn't be happier with it. The performance is fine on the B+, but in case I decide to go for the 2, does anyone know what is the difference in power consumption?
I measured that an always running (let's say playing video) B+ should cost around $6 per year with my power provider. I've read that this new model should consume more, though.

EDIT: Sorry pichlo, edited the post to add the consumption period just between you read and quoted it, so i's already in your quote

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-02-03 at 11:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I measured that an always running (let's say playing video) B+ should cost around $6 per year with my power provider.
Per day? Week? Decade?

EDIT:
Blind me, did not notice your edit

EDIT 2:
Wow, is energy so pricey in CZ? Using Oblomow's figures below, I calculated that running 24/7 at full 2.43W power consumes about 21.3kWh per year. With my energy provider, that costs about £3.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-02-03 at 11:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
The performance is fine on the B+, but in case I decide to go for the 2, does anyone know what is the difference in power consumption?
According to this german article, power consumption is the same at idle (1.5W), slightly higher at full single-core-load ( 1.75W vs. 1.6W for the B+), and about 1W higher at full quad core load (2.43W). But keep in mind the new CPU is ~1.5x faster in single task benchmarks, so I'd guess for the same task their power consumption will be equal, or even slightly less for the 2, if you are overclocking your B+.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Interesting.

Now the question isn't whether to buy or not, it is "what will I do with it once I have it" ???
Popcorntime?

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
raspberry pi