Active Topics

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Thanks a lot!

- I picked first option: "1. you can just use terminal on the phone. rsync is a tool to synchronize files & dirs, so there's no need to call it via ssh"
- rsync was done right away without errors
- rebooted phone
- downloaded google services and store
- installed
- and now it seems to be working. I just downloaded and installed Viber.

So I finally get this working. Steps:

1. Uninstall android support via Jolla store
2. Remove everything from /opt/alien
3. Install android support
4. Follow the google play installation instructions

The key was to completly clean alien dir.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to klippe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
The google play app seemed to work fine after install, I was logged in with my profile and all. I had install one or two apps already.
What then happened was that while I was installing a new app the googlel play suddenly crashed on me.

Now it is still there, but the credentials seems to be in some kind of half-assed state. Even if I reinstall play, or even do the complete reinstallation of alien dalvik (by clearing everything in /opt/alien like klippe above), it seems as though it don't know what apps I have currently installed and it doesn't show anymore what apps I have bought earlier. How do I reset the credentials for android on the device so that I can specify the accounts again?
There is no option to choose or add an account anymore.

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
@juiceme and @coderus

I have exactly the same issue with #1,(originally posted here) I can download free content, but can not access purchased apps, even if I install from website it crashes after downloading. Shall I just uninstall all alien dalvik and do everything again with the right symbol (--)?

Update: Deleted opt/alien and dalvik and installed again with the right symbol, still the same problem, no access to paid content...

Tried re-install again with root, still no luck...

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2013-12-20 at 05:40.

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
Found the logs. It is the command
/opt/alien/system/bin/logcat

The errors I get installing a bought app are:

W/ActivityManager( 6952): No content provider found for permission revoke: file:///data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/cache/downloadfile.apk
W/ActivityManager( 6952): No content provider found for permission revoke: file:///data/app-private/vmdl[randomnumber].tmp
W/dalvikvm( 6952): threadid=16: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group 0x40e39360)

Two first errors seem to happen also when the installation is successful with free apps, so they do not mean much alone. However paid apps are most likely signed with a key to prevent piracy, so they might trigger some checks that cause the Gapps to crash.
Yet again you can install the same bought apps downloaded from same origin so it is not a full incompatibility issue with alien dalvik.

Buying procedure in itself is working; I have bought both apps and music through GooglePlay on Sailfish.

The 'No content provider...'-error also seems quite common with Android homebrew ROM, and common cure that is chmodding (o+rwx) to following directories did not help:
/data/local/tmp
/data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/cache
How do you pass the first error for buying contents? Mine had "Error retrieving info from server" BM-PPH-01 even after re-install the whole alien dalvik with and resync in root.

And also how you install the paid app finally?

All my interested android apps are not free...

Originally Posted by klippe View Post

I did that with no success:

1) I installed the apk of Whatsapp without using gplay at all -> no contacts and other errors
2) installed play store and reinstalled WA from there -> errors stay
3) removed all android stuff from the device (android apps + gplay + yandex + delete /opt/alien/*
4) reinstalled yandex/andoid support
5) installed apk of WA again -> same errors as before

don't wanna reset the whole device to get that running. any comments on that?

edit: gplaystore was also throing errors during running (com.gapps not working messages)

The Following User Says Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
I did that with no success:

1) I installed the apk of Whatsapp without using gplay at all -> no contacts and other errors
2) installed play store and reinstalled WA from there -> errors stay
So you have the Play store working, right? This is what this topic and my post are about.

3) removed all android stuff from the device (android apps + gplay + yandex + delete /opt/alien/*
4) reinstalled yandex/andoid support
5) installed apk of WA again -> same errors as before

don't wanna reset the whole device to get that running. any comments on that?

edit: gplaystore was also throing errors during running (com.gapps not working messages)
I also got some error from play store (once just after installation) but except for that the store works.

Is your problem related to Whatsapp? In my case Whatsapp also is quite strange - a lot of things (taking and sending a photo for example) raise "operation not supported", and there are no contacts until the people write to me.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by klippe View Post

Worked for me, the Play Store used to crash directly when launched. Thanks.

I get a few error pop-ups, but it seems to work.

[Edit] But tried to install Waze, set the account settings, and when I hit "done" it crashed. Crashes directly at launch now if I try to run it. Other Android apps still work.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-12-20 at 22:54.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
I initially steered clear as I didn't want to enable developer mode and start messing around so early on, but after a couple of days I could resist no more!

Just my luck I had similar as others have reported, where I could open Google Settings, but Play Store kept closing immediately after launching.

After a couple of sleepless nights, a few reboots, some rmdir -rf and chowns I finally managed to launch Play Store and successfully install some apps. Not sure what exactly fixed it, but the final steps were uninstalling then installing Android support, after I had already performed the rycnc and ensured the system directory was owned by root:root.

Also I recall at one stage no Android apps would load at all, although I did have support installed. At this point, I think I already performed the rsync command and ownerships were all root. I removed Android support, had a nose around /opt/alien/ and noticed the system directory was still there. Process listing confirmed alien dalvik was no longer running.

Next I reinstalled Android support and tried Play Store, which was already installed. It worked! It did crash a couple of times but seems to have settled down now.

My lock screen now has a number of briefcases with ticks, which I suspect is the notifications from the store, so unchecked this from its setting (first option) so hopefully at least won't receive any more.

I think the ownership of the system folder was the problem. I'll try to replicate later to pin in down, but first best get some sleep before the sun rises. |-)

Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
How do you pass the first error for buying contents? Mine had "Error retrieving info from server" BM-PPH-01 even after re-install the whole alien dalvik with and resync in root.

And also how you install the paid app finally?

All my interested android apps are not free...
You just have to rename the latest /data/app-private/vmdl*.tmp as yourapplication.apk and copy it under /data/app directory.

I actually bought music from the store, but I did not get any errors so I expect the process to work for apps too. The bought app installation process only fails when it should finish the installation after downloading the app.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post: