Active Topics

What is the size of virtual memory, which will benefit the performance of N800 most? Is 64MB enough?

I use 128.. because you can. You can also create swap partitions on your card and use those.. however that will reduce the life expentancy of the card

I haven't actually enabled any swap space yet for my N800.. it's been happy with its 128MB RAM so far, no out-of-memory problems (yet). Mostly I don't run more than a few apps at the same time, although I may have up to 3 opera instances running.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by schmots View Post
You can also create swap partitions on your card and use those.. however that will reduce the life expentancy of the card
Is there any real evidence for this?

What is the size of your internal memory card? Can you tell me how to create swap partitions? Thanks.

Originally Posted by schmots View Post
I use 128.. because you can. You can also create swap partitions on your card and use those.. however that will reduce the life expentancy of the card

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Is there any real evidence for this?
Swap will in essences constantly read and write for the card. Based on the "Life Cycles" of memory cards, it will limit its life. Now does this mean it will only work for 10 years instead of 50, I don't know.. never had a memory card stop working.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
@schmots: you're correct of course - writing will lessen the life expectancy of a card. I'd like to know if there is any evidence that confirms how much the life expectancy of a card is reduced by writes, I'm guessing this kind of information is fairly thin on the ground and that most cards, even with a swap file, will outlive the usefulness of N800 device itself!

What is swap file?

Can anyone tell me the size of memory I should allocate for virtural memory?

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
I suppose that even using those as virtual memory does less their life.. Memory card does last logn enought. And cards are cheap anyway. I guess when my 4GB stops working, card like that cost very little.

Dear Mika73, you use all yr 4GB as VM?