OK, so I carry my iPod EVERYWHERE - and once i have my 770 that will go everywhere with me too (school has wifi, home has wifi, friends have wifi, trains have wifi, airports have wifi....the list goes on, but anyway). It's kinda been established that the 770 can support USB storage but can't supply any power. So being as the iPod provides it's own power would it be possible to pull files (oooooh, like movies) off the iPod's HD?

Uber

I'd also like this to be confirmed from any lucky iPod+770 owner. Please, tell us if you can use the ipod as the 770's hard drive? And does the combination work right out of the box?

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Madrid, Spain
I'll try it out as soon as my brilliant new iPod gets here it's coming from China, will take some more days.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Is the IPOD autodetected as USB mass storage? I have a 40GB RCA Lyra that is, but my odds of seeing a 770 in this country are getting slimmer.

Providing you could rig up a USB Type B to USB Type B cable, I don't see why there wouldn't be some Debian drivers out there that could help.

The other thing, my MP3 player charges off of USB, does the IPOD? This could hamper the 770 playing nice with it.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
Is the IPOD autodetected as USB mass storage? I have a 40GB RCA Lyra that is, but my odds of seeing a 770 in this country are getting slimmer.

Providing you could rig up a USB Type B to USB Type B cable, I don't see why there wouldn't be some Debian drivers out there that could help.

The other thing, my MP3 player charges off of USB, does the IPOD? This could hamper the 770 playing nice with it.
The iPods I have always worked with all are compatible as USB Mass Storage Devices. I hadn't thought about the issue of charging, but I think it would still be able to work...the more I think about it though the more I doubt it.

As for hooking up a mini USB to female USB A (ready to connect a standard iPod USB Cable), or a mini USB to iPod dock connector - well I think that might be a little out of my range of work, thougth I guess I could probably hook something together through a variety of different cables, plugs, sockets and adapters.

Uber

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Can the 770 "mount" a USB hard-drive? (with or without SAMBA?)

This device would drive "car-puters" out of business..

dock it with power and a 12V USB hard-drive and you could send/receive your music/video from you house via WI-FI and have a fully functional walk about for browsing when you aren't at home.

the extra storage (perhaps on a bus with DVD-ROM) would also pounce on navigation systems.

the only problem is the name: should be called something like "giz."

"770 internet tablet" can't be a candidate for fame like "q-tip"