Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by CyberCowboy View Post
As some may see I did the same as the OP and replaced a failed N800 with another N800. I looked at what I use the device for and there was NOTHING on the market that has all the features I was looking for, in a form factor I was comfortable with as well as the N800. While a Keyboard would be nice what is lost by going to the N810 (second card slot, switching to micro-sd, no swivel camera) wasn't made up for, especially since I already own a bluetooth foldable keyboard that can ride in a shirt pocket for when I need to do serious typing.
Here it is January 2010 and I still find my N800 non-replaceable. At this point in my life, I can afford to buy any device I desire, but I hold on to my trusty old N800. I would pay $3000 for an updated N800 that has a direct sun-light readable display, a built in SENSITIVE gps receiver, a high res, low light camera on a swival mount, and Skype with video. And although the cell phone function would be nice, the only way I would use the cell phone is if it were Verizon campatable.

Last edited by Den in USA; 2010-01-06 at 18:21.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
I would pay $3000 for an updated N800 that has a direct sun-light readable display, a built in SENSITIVE gps receiver, a high res, low light camera on a swival mount, and Skype with video.
And a battery life of 8 hours or real use.
Only, I'd pay $300 instead of $3000

Though I adore my N800 I did get an N900. Now the N800 is my alarm clock--a Chumby if you will. I move it around the house with me as I get ready for work (radio, podcasts). Even in the room while showering. And I am looking into ways to use it as a secuirty camera (to replace my old iBook that takes photos when motion is detected and emails them to my phone).
It has served me well.

I own both a n800 and a 770, I still carry my 770 with me most of the time, much more than my n800. Even though it cannot run all the softwares out there for ITs, but the hard case and the lighter weight compare to n800 does won my heart. And a lot of time when I pull out my 770 and show it to my friends, I still can impress them with all the functions, eg remote controll my home computer, play snes games, watch cable TV over the internet, listen to the internet radio from oversea, make phone call to the USA when I am oversea, keep my eye on the stock market all day long, etc etc.........a lot more to show off.

The Following User Says Thank You to racky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by moja View Post
Oh yeah, that totally slipped my mind. When then heck is eBay going to wake-up and smell the coffee? They really need to open-source Skype.

Oh well. Skype with no video on my N800 is still pretty cool. And pretty solid, too.
I recently downloaded Fring http://www.fring.com/ for my N82 phone. As I understand Fring doesn't have anything to do with Skype company but their (free) software makes Skype video calls from cellphone possible.
So maybe it could be possible to get Skype video calls also to our N800.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It's good to see an N800 thread. Skype is no longer an eBay company, as I understand it. Someone mentioned wanting a GPS with the N800. The external GPS has the advantage that you can move it somewhere to get the best signal (such as near a window) butt still keep the N800 with you.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
All those skype users may want to keep Gizmo in mind. I use Gizmo to call the states when i'm in Mexico. There is also video calling (albeit not very good) with Gizmo using the N800. I used it a time or 2 and it can be hit or miss at times.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
gizmo is part of google now, iirc...

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Tear plus Advoid is terrific for browsing the web.
Kchmviewer is awesome, awesome, awesome since I'm no longer lugging around books like I used to.
Garnet VM I use almost daily with the huge database of apps I have for it.
Xkbd finally works with no repeating keys like it used to. This opens up so many more opportunities of being able to use programs that weren't possible before.
Xbindkeys is easy enough to map new functions for the few hardware keys on the tablet including launching apps with a single press of a button or enabling a right mouse click.
Watching videos does somewhat blow. The best results I've found are watching cartoons like the Simpsons.
Many choices for playing audio files. I don't have all that much music but I've got a huge folder of Kaplan lectures I listen to.
Pidgin rocks especially with qwerty's LED notification.
Dial Central probably saves me around $300 yearly for making phone calls and sending and receiving SMS messages.
For stress relief, I usually enjoy Dosbox (currently playing Castle of Dr. Brain on expert level) and I still enjoy old school Telnet games with ADOM being my favorite.
Of course there's always SCUMM as well.
Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2, Wonder Project J, Front Mission and Wizardry Trilogy works really great on the little handheld. Kirby's Dream Course works okay.
SCID lets me watch international matches live between two Grandmasters with an analysis engine running in real time which is quite entertaining for me.

I feel like I'm still leaving out about a couple of dozen more things that I haven't mentioned.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Monterrey, Mexico
Originally Posted by FunBob View Post
I recently downloaded Fring http://www.fring.com/ for my N82 phone. As I understand Fring doesn't have anything to do with Skype company but their (free) software makes Skype video calls from cellphone possible.
So maybe it could be possible to get Skype video calls also to our N800.
Fring hasn't released an update for their maemo client in "ages" and I don't think they ever will.
I think that maemo being an open source project should try to get Empathy going, as of now it provides "voice and video call using SIP, XMPP, Google Talk and MSN".

The Following User Says Thank You to alex_mayorga For This Useful Post: