when booting up i need to press the swap button, when do i know when do i let go of it?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
first plug in the usb-cable for the connection to your pc.
then press the swap/home button (the upper one on the left side) and then the power button. now there should be an usb icon on the upper right side of the n810 screen. then you can release all buttons

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I never had to press any swap button for flashing the device.
Put the device off, connect it via USB to your computer and start the flasher. The flasher will wait until you switch on the device. Switch on the device and it's automatically in USB-mode as indicated by the USB icon in the corner.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
First make sure the battery of your device is full. Then disconnect the power adapter.

Install the Nokia Software Updater and make it wait/search for N8x0.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I never had to press any swap button for flashing the device.
Put the device off, connect it via USB to your computer and start the flasher. The flasher will wait until you switch on the device. Switch on the device and it's automatically in USB-mode as indicated by the USB icon in the corner.
Now, press the swap button. Put on the device. When it shows the USB icon on the top right you release the swap button. Windows makes a funky sound it detected a USB device, and it won't make the funky sound the device is disconnected again. Now update your firmware and you're done!

This is probably also well explained in other threads, howtos, and wiki.