Is this what i would need to buy to get the same functionality???

http://www.twstore.com/gcusbafxm.html

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by bleinfuss View Post
Will this work?

Is this what i would need to buy to get the same functionality???

No, that adapter is not wired correctly to make the N800 automatically switch modes.

sjgadsby,

Thanks for that info. Do you know of a site that sells the adapter that will enable the auto switch mode

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Do you know of a site that sells the adapter that will enable the auto switch mode
No. So far as I know, no one has found a commercially available adapter that does the job out of the box. That's why jolouis, a member of these fora, is planning to sell modified adapters.

Hi, I have done all things about USB-Host and USB- OTG with Mara's guide. I have bought a f-f usb adapter and plugged in one side to the nokia dke-2 cable and plugged in to cable to the n800. Then switched device to USB-Host mode and plugged in my bigboy 2gb flash memory to the f-f adapter but it didn't worked,no light appears. After this I tried another flash memory Twinmos 512mb and it worked like a charm. Since I thought Bigboy needs more power I bought digitus powered usb hub and tried with bigboy but nothings happened again and it didn't worked.When I connect the usb hub "usb hub not supported" message appears. What can I do for fixing this problem? Is there any usb hub driver etc. for n800 OS2008 that I must install? Because, n800 didn't recognize the usb hub. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?
Thanks in Advance

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
I have been gone for many weeks (illness in my family) but I'm back. Today I plugged my 4 port USB hub into my N800 and inserted a new 4G Kingston pen drive/flash drive. The N800 was able to read the Kingston drive.

Some people have commented seeing error messages upon inserting a hub like mine. I see the error message also, but I ignore it. The error message is in error because although "USB hub not supported" appears, the hub does work properly. I just ignore the error message. A second error message appears which is "Unable to connect, no file system available". I ignore that one also. Clicking "OK" makes the message disappear.

I proceeded to play ( stream ) a movie from the Kingston drive thru the hub to the N800. I used Mplayer to view the movie directly from the external hardware. The system became unstable. I suspected the hub and 4G drive might need external power assist after all. Upon applying ext. 5 volts to the HUB and retrying to view the movie streamed from the 4G drive all went well. So, it seems the hub and Kingston 4G drive is at the threshold (actually over) of what electrical current the N800 will source out the USB port.

Enjoy,

M5

Edit:
I removed the hub and connected the Kingston 4gig drive ( with the movie ) directly to the N800 using the blue and white adapter shown here http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...52&postcount=5 and the movie streamed fine. The N800 had enough to power the Kingston drive (so long as the hub was not in the loop).

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2008-03-29 at 13:55. Reason: added info.

Hey I am posting this here also just incase you care.....

News to all that care ( and even those who dont ) I have the 4port power-injected hub all done. working and happy. As I am moving 87.12 miles away the next 2 weeks of my life are going to be booked. But then I will make another more streamlined version (this one has bits of melted plastic and just look like *** But it works.) so Along with that I will do step by step photos along with a cost sheet. And then I can either build you one (5 bucks over cost +s/h cuz face it it is a pain in the rear to make) or you can build your own, I am pretty happy with mine Cant wait to try it out on some really fun stuff!!! woooo! lata. Feel free to E-mail me if you find you can not wait 2 weeks for this...

Would anyone care to identify wire colors with pin numbers. (I searched around for a while and couldn't see this info) I'm going to hack a mini USB keyboard by removing the standard USB cable and adding the MICRO end of a Nokia cable so I won't actually break into the plug itself. (If there are even standard colors). I'm also going to do the link to get OTG plug and play. Thanks for any assistance.

http://www.interfacebus.com/usb-cable-diagram.html
I think, though, that standard colors differ by
  • Magenta -> Red
  • Blue -> Black

Last edited by Benson; 2008-04-21 at 15:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: