Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I admit I haven't studied them very much (I'm still a bit behind, on Qt4.8) but AIUI QtQuick controls are meant to be for all kinds of interfaces

for example
http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/q...ols/touch.html

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
(quite some mind-scattered stuff)
..lay down the weeds, Dude. They aren't healthy.

Great, and since these are supposedly common Qt components, one could expect to find those available on each Qt enabled platform, which makes applications more generic. It makes sense for those who aim at crossplaform reach (for example for IPC Embedlite Firefox). I guess in some cases specific components like Silica can be a plus too, but they tie the result to them and their availability.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
the distributions will be keeping x11 as a compatibility option for a long time to come. so i don't know if youre pretending not to understand, or you really can't grasp the arguments.
No I can't because you seems to not understand that X11/XWayland IS deadend. Compabiltiy wrappers makes more stuff to debug.

But why on earth should they stick with X11 on a new embedded Linux platform? its 2013 for got sake not 1990 with server/client thinking on desktop.

But I am sure there will be thirdparty packaget to install for those who wanna play with such "toys"

X11 has been broken for long even on desktop linux. The biggest drawback for Linux IS X11 escpecially for 3D(And yes thats a bigg issue on embedded) rendering for gamers, graphics but also video rendering. Fact stand the X11 technology is to old and def not for embedded or desktop. Its for remote server administration machines from the begining and then it has been "hacked" for years to make it work better on desktop but now it has come to the fact that it need to be replaced.

Seriously it sounds more like people want X11 to tell others "hey I can run foobar X11 app on my phone" even if that X11 app will be a pointless toy cause it is unusable on a phone anyway.

Wayland or/and maybe MIR IS the future of Linux on embedded. And even on dekstop Wayland/Mir is the future if it want to be a competitor for games and graphics etc... And the biggest reason is again 3D Graphics.

Ofcourse there will be apps that will not work, especially apps that is not written in Gtk or Qt but most are anyway. And port apps from Qt4 -> Qt5 should not be an big issue for most developers AFAIK most of the API is not changed and QTQuick1(means harmattan components shoudl work) still exist in Qt5.

And Qt team gave tip already 2011 what Qt API should be avoided to be compatible in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I admit I haven't studied them very much (I'm still a bit behind, on Qt4.8) but AIUI QtQuick controls are meant to be for all kinds of interfaces

for example
http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/q...ols/touch.html
To late check now but if I remember correct there is also some kind of "theming API" in QtQC to make a custom look and feel on the widgets.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
@wayland vs X11
There is still the issue of network transparency. While not really that important in out case (mobile/embedded application development), it still stands that it is something X11 has and Wayland is lacking so far.

Yes, this has been already discussed elsewhere quite heavily and yes, it should be possible to do it with Wayland using pixel scrapping.

But it still stands there is no such implementation in the current Wayland/Weston implementation.

Network transparency use-cases
From personal experience these work just fine on local (100 Mb Ethernet) network & are quite handy(as the application context stays on one machine, but the application can be used on many other machines):
  • graphical terminal emulators
  • Geany (wrote my bachelors thesis like this) and other editors
  • Thunderbird
  • Inkscape
  • modRana

Last edited by MartinK; 2013-07-18 at 23:54.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
@wayland vs X11
There is still the issue of network transparency. While not really that important in out case (mobile/embedded application development), it still stands that it is something X11 has and Wayland is lacking so far.
Wayland will implement its own network transparency, which will even allow using Wayland natively for stuff like what Nx (Nomachine protocol) does today, where X11 is just a performance hog. It's just that Wayland doesn't prioritize that aspect.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8zwnqKysfI&t=1h11m51s

By the way. Weston is not part of Wayland - it's a reference compositor. Actual DEs, including the mobile ones will implement their own compositors, and I guess they'll have to support such features if Wayland will define a stable protocol for network transparency.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-07-19 at 01:31.

Note this in the Sailfish video (at 16:10)

The user interface layer is something that's at the moment Jolla specific and closed, that will not remain in the future as such, but of course I can not go in the details which components will be open and which will be not open. We need to get the device out before somebody else you know, takes our stuff and does the device with it.
Similar to what Stskeeps said, but sounds a bit more optimistic (he said "that will not remain as such", whatever that means).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Why I think I've already seen the same back in 2010-2011?

Scratch GTK in favor of Qt. Scratch Maemo, rush for Meego. Debian packaging is working fine? So what, go for rpm.

Toldya, no way to make a new whorehouse with the old whores

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
The same what? Switch to Qt and RPM was in Meego. Mer continues it. Nothing new in this aspect. You are several years late to complain.

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open