Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Wanted to be able to display something of my own choice on the desktop, instead of seeing my operator's name so I wrote a replacement for the applet responsible.

Custom Operator Name Applet, simply put, allows you to display a label of your own choice in lieu of your network operator's name. You can also choose the text and shadow colours of the label. You can have different labels and colours that are dependent upon the state of the N900 phone connectivity (Connected, connecting, not connected). Version 0.1 is in Extras-devel.

Due to hildon-desktop limitations, the N900 must be restarted before the applet is loaded. After that, the applet can be configured from the Control Panel.

Uninstalling the applet - and restarting - will cause the original one to be restored.

Planned:
* Allow you to show the operator's name.
* Allow you to have a (small) image in place of the logo.
* Allow you to see what song is playing in any MAFW-utilising Media Player.
* Show the name of the current profile.
* Show the current volume.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-10-28 at 21:09.

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
That's awesome! Symbian required some hacking and manually replacing the files but this just proves the flexibility of Meamo 5 for everyone.

The Following User Says Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hahaha.. P1MP is so lame... love the idea of showing the currently playing song though. Great stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Option for US English in your app please?

The Following User Says Thank You to Psymastr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philippines
This is awesome!

* Allow you to have a (small) image in place of the logo. What's the pixel size of the picture? Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to gviterbo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by gviterbo View Post
This is awesome!

* Allow you to have a (small) image in place of the logo. What's the pixel size of the picture? Thanks!
I certainly won't place a limit on the size, but you may wish to resize when you see your chosen image covers the entire desktop...

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Is this a passive applet? i.e. does it receives events if tapped?

If so you can show different information one at a time and when tapping you rotate trough them

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Uhm.. I installed it, rebooted and works fine.. but.. what if I want to momentarily show the operator name?

There seem to be no way to do that?

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Uhm.. I installed it, rebooted and works fine.. but.. what if I want to momentarily show the operator name?

There seem to be no way to do that?
No, as said in the first post: It is planned. The official library which can do this is closed source without any headers available, so I have to utilize any workarounds I can find. It just so happens that the workaround I found is rather long and, as such, will take a while for me to do.

Regarding the passive applet question: No, it is not one, and I have no plans on making it so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Says "custom operator name applet" in App Manager Restore dialog.
Should be "widget" instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post: