Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
Why nokia don't port Symbian and Ngage (is Ngage an os?) on the tablets?
It could open the Ovi doors to tablet users or use the tablet like a great development platform

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by ciroip View Post
Why nokia don't port Symbian and Ngage (is Ngage an os?) on the tablets?
About Symbian, why would they when there is no consumer products shipping that OS on such hardware?

N-Gage is an API in its own, running on top of Symbian. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Gage_...hnical_details

It could open the Ovi doors to tablet users
I wonder how many tablet users would replace Maemo by Symbian in order to get Ovi services. The natural way to bring Ovi support to the tablets is to bring Ovi support to Maemo.

or use the tablet like a great development platform
How great is a hardware development platform that has no equivalent in consumers hands. And why for a Symbian/S60 developer a tablet would be a better hardware to use than the current S60 top sellers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Nokia is not porting symbian to tablets, because Maemo is way better os.

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
About Symbian, why would they when there is no consumer products shipping that OS on such hardware?
Im my mind Nokia have endless possibility and endless resource and I have no idea how many man-hours would necessary for a port (I suppose beside the arm processor a tablet is a completely different beast, I was probably confused by the N97 and all the voices like a possible Maemo device).
N-Gage is an API in its own, running on top of Symbian. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Gage_...hnical_details
ok, so having symbian is automagically having, hardware limitation apart, NGage . Get it
I wonder how many tablet users would replace Maemo by Symbian in order to get Ovi services. The natural way to bring Ovi support to the tablets is to bring Ovi support to Maemo.
I probably tend to consider a good 80% of user tablet an advanced user (probably Im spoiled having spent time on ITT but I bet the percentage of people downloading the flasher is higher than other Nokia products...) and the re-flashing procedure is great (I suppose Nokia experience in the field is gigantic).
From the user point of view (MY point of view obviously) would be just another option that allow access the Ovi services, music shop and Ngage (at least the old) library. And I just imagine how well could look the Symbian logo on the tablet box...

How great is a hardware development platform that has no equivalent in consumers hands. And why for a Symbian/S60 developer a tablet would be a better hardware to use than the current S60 top sellers.
Again my rantles came from my experience: I have no budget for any S60 (just for playing at the 'little developer game') and a sort of SDK running on Nokia controlled hardware is sure appealing for a cheap developer wannabe (like me or indian or chinese, I have no idea how much Nokia ask for their phones there) and since Im mainly a graphic person just having a touch screen with comparable screen dimension seem a way better intermediary 'step' than a normal pc-based sdk (and easier to install and with a fixed speed parameters) and would give a definitive 'personality' to the tablet. I lurked the S60 comunity a bit and I deeply envy the HUGE user base compared to the tablet (I suppose is matter of order of magnitude ).
+ even like a plain consumer device a Symbian OS could still appeal me but yes last barcelona's phones really overlap all the actual tablets killer features (gps, radio, keyboard, processing power, memory, wifi, audio quality). The screen and the speakers are probably still better than any phone around and is just impossible beat the flexibility.
So I can't see any reason why Nokia should not spend a couple of milions of euro to make his user happy.

To move to Symbian would be a terrible step backwards in my opinion. I jumped on the NIT bandwagon _because_ it runs Linux. I've had enough of closed system software on my devices, including portable ones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Well, Symbian became opensource, but still, IMHO its days are counted.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
symbiam became opensource? I remeber there were talking about that last year when Nokia aquired it for something like half billion dollars but I didnt know it was already opensource.

Anyway @TA-t3: I didn't mean to replace maemo: just and alternative OS.
And I dont really belive Nokia would really port symbian on the tablet (Im sure someone in Tampere already bring up the idea) I am just curios to analyze advantage or disadvantages and qgil gave me some good tips

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
As far as i know it will become open source like 2012...

Just when will Maemo be on the same level of usage than the symbian devices? I did use tablets for about two years and I did get very frustrated about tablets and switch back totally to S60 which I have been using since the 7610 model. Smaller screen, no touchscreen (N96) but very functioning applications. Music, gps, maps, email, all work well comparing to tablets!

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by markku View Post
Just when will Maemo be on the same level of usage than the symbian devices? I did use tablets for about two years and I did get very frustrated about tablets and switch back totally to S60 which I have been using since the 7610 model. Smaller screen, no touchscreen (N96) but very functioning applications. Music, gps, maps, email, all work well comparing to tablets!
For you, for me the experience is the contrary. Slow music player (10 minutes to add a song to the library), slow gallery (30 seconds to open it everytime), stutter recording video, the gps take 10 minutes to get a fix, and so on. Really I am not happy with my Symbian/S60 expensive phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:

Tags
ngage, nokia, s60, symbian