fullpage ads in sunday magazines, internet ads on sites like NME, the n97 is getting the kind of push we all wanted to see for the NITs previously, and the weird thing is they're all based on the web usage - mentioning twitter, facebook etc...

If "rover" is going to be the same form factor but with a more gutsy insides, it confuses me totally.

The Following User Says Thank You to flareup For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
unless (don't say it) the rover is still 6 months off....

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Wien , Austria
It's maybe a stupid question, but what can you do with a N97 that you can't do with a N810? (except the phone functions obviously).
The N97 unlocked must be around 700 USD, while you can by a N810 for around 200 USD, not mentioning the higher res of the N810, major bonus for browsing the web. Ok, the N810 do not have 32gig of embedded memory, but microSD cards are cheap now.
Just don't get the point.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
agent770 - I think you are forgetting the business segment who want reliable software/hardware + mail/calendar sync.

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
agent770 - I think you are forgetting the business segment who want reliable software/hardware + mail/calendar sync.
I certainly hope Maemo will be able to provide those soon. At least if the leaked Harmattan concept screenshots are true, Nokia will be looking into adding PIM to maemo.

Besides, sync works perfectly even on lowly S40 devices, so why wouldn't they be able to make it work also with Maemo?

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
I can completly understand that there are ppl who would love to use the NIT's but due to its learning curve it deters a lot of would be consumers. I was in the market for a device to handle my media downloads and almost bought a ipod touch but I some how found out about the n810 which does so much more. It took some time just to learn what I know to get my tablet the way it is and it will be even more time to really tweak it, but i had a thurst for the knowledge and really wanted to use the tablet as a way to learn more about linux to help me when I finally switch my OS to Ubuntu. now for others who just want to use it for business or what ever, the tablet really isnt that bad to get use the only thing it lacks is simple app for non-tech savy ppl. I spent plenty of time reading the threads to figure out what to do to get things to work the way I want, instead of it just having a very simple discription and an abvious name. So i guess if the what my point is, if it was as easy as say apple's app store to just download and go I think more ppl would have caught on to the NIT's and they wouldnt "Finally" be pushing the something like the N97 for things that the NITs can already do.

and the n810 doesnt come with 32gb, but with the adapter it can store a full size SD card. I'm enjoying mine thanks to a member of this site that made it possible, Thanks craves1!

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-20 at 09:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalladin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It seems to pay off for Nokia, btw.... Vodafone claims the N97 is its top selling phone ATM, outselling even the 5800. This may only be the initial peak and change after a few weeks, but still.... given the hostile reviews... not bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I wonder if it will sell as good in the US once available, if it were a better price than maybe i would think about it, but $700 is a bit steap for even a new device, during such harsh economical times. espicially when the last two big mobile devices were released at around $199 and $299

Nokia better bring it... with not only the N97 but the next NIT as well because cutting edge gadgets with snazy UI's, fresh look, and a few app doesnt cut it any more, when the price is too high...

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-20 at 10:50.

With all comments considered,

I always wonderd what makes ppl just stick with what they have... like i love the form factor of the N810 and can't see myself with the N800 but there really isnt any difference under the hood between them. Now I see some post from die hard 770 users here too which is kind of wierd to me, I know new isnt better especially if you have thing you do that dnt require you to move on to the next model.

The fact that my whole gadget loving little world was complete once i read about the N810 and more so when I recieved it, was amazing, but my question is with all the hype, speculation, and things about the N900 what is it that you/we want from the next gen tablet besides an all new look...

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-20 at 13:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalladin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Actually, the N97 IS available in the USA, and it's currently $599 at the Nokia store. I saw them in the Chicago flagship store on the weekend, and was pretty impressed (but I'm still holding out for Rover).