Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Here is the picture of the keyboard for the lazy people out there who didn't subscribe to the newsletter

Edit:

The second comma that you see, is actually a '
They probably used a wrong symbol over there as well.
All the symbols ` ' " ^ are there on the keyboard, so you can use them for the dead keys. Android and Maemo5 does support dead keys, don't know about the others though.
Oh right, I didn't even see the ^. Where are the ´ and ¨ though? ¨ usually doesn't have a dedicated key, it's a " which turns into a ¨ if pressed before a compatible letter. Excellent news if dead keys can be supported.

Here is the full newsletter with pictures and text, and you can find the previous newsletters in the Past Issues at the top: https://us19.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=34f36cdb66

[Edit]
Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
Merry Xmas! What variants there will be? Scandic?
No clear confirmation of the available layouts at launch, but the newsletter does say that Qwertz or Scandic layouts will be easy to get by just swapping a few keys. My guess is it would be done in the factory and not by the user, but it's just a guess.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Oh right, I didn't even see the ^. Where are the ´ and ¨ though? ¨ usually doesn't have a dedicated key, it's a " which turns into a ¨ if pressed before a compatible letter. Excellent news if dead keys can be supported.
Yes, to achieve ´ and ¨ you can use ' and " indeed. for example:
' = á
" = ä
` = à
^ = â
~ = ã

Seems like TMO has resized the image, see full size below:
https://i.imgur.com/fU1Cyvs.png

I wonder what will happen to the 'empty' button. I would go for a circle as a 'Home' button.
See attached image
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I wonder what will happen to the 'empty' button. I would go for a circle as a 'Home' button.
See attached image
Well spot.

Yes functionally I want to make that key being "go home" by default. But did not put Android circle as the device is supposed to load other OSes as well and I feel the "circle" will spoil the feel of integrity under other OSes.

So I want to reveal this one when it's formally launched, and hopefully it can be re-mapped for different functions other than just go home.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Well spot.

Yes functionally I want to make that key being "go home" by default. But did not put Android circle as the device is supposed to load other OSes as well and I feel the "circle" will spoil the feel of integrity under other OSes.

So I want to reveal this one when it's formally launched, and hopefully it can be re-mapped for different functions other than just go home.
But Circle is pretty generic. I don't think that it will hurt too much if it's a circle.
I'm curious what it will be. (The F logo of Fx?)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
I don’t know if it’s too late but I think an orthogonal layout (like the N900 keyboard) is more suitable for thumb typing. Staggered keys just don’t feel natural when you want to flick your thumb from one key to another.

But then again. There is no other modern phone that sports a hardware keyboard.

Phones: Motorola Moto G 2nd gen | Nokia N900
Tablet: Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830
SBC: Raspberry Pi 2

Proud supporter of open source software

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Well spot.

Great attention to detail, thanks. However silly it is, I can tell how irritating it is to have a Windows key on a computer not running Windows. Blank is just perfect. If it's the only blank, there's no confusion.

Since you mentioned other OSes Chen, do you know already if it will be possible to dual-boot like on the Gemini? Android alongside a community port of Sailfish (hopefully) or Leste would be a nice solution to cope with the lack of Alien Dalvik. It would be a bit more cumbersome for users who use Alien Dalvik frequently, but then having something more recent than 4.4 would outweigh the cost and allow a much wider range of applications.

Yes, to achieve ´ and ¨ you can use ' and " indeed. for example:
' = á
" = ä
` = à
^ = â
~ = ã
You're absolutely right. I was so focused on the fact that I couldn't see the ' that I got myself confused and just forgot how it is on a Qwerty keyboard (I don't have default keycaps anymore so I didn't even check on mine). But since the extra comma should be a ', no problem.

Originally Posted by Ariadeno View Post
I don’t know if it’s too late but I think an orthogonal layout (like the N900 keyboard) is more suitable for thumb typing. Staggered keys just don’t feel natural when you want to flick your thumb from one key to another.

But then again. There is no other modern phone that sports a hardware keyboard.
It was discussed several times during the earlier steps of the project, but feedback on the Moto Mod led Chen to go for the staggered layout. I was all for the orthogonal layout as well since I think it's better for position awareness without looking, but on the other hand, if people were massively asking for staggered layout on the Moto Mod, then it might very well be the best option to secure sales here, which is by far the most important to make the ReadyFx a success; and perhaps the beginning of a longer story.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-12-26 at 00:22.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Just a quick comment:
AFAIK, Pebble does not have an e-ink display (no Pebble variation had it, be it color or b&w). Some website may simplify it as such (also could be good marketing of Pebble, calling it "e-paper"), but it is an LCD display.

See:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Pebb...n/13319#s45410
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Pebb...Teardown/42382
Ah ? Thanks about this, I always thougth it was e-link ...

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
No clear confirmation of the available layouts at launch, but the newsletter does say that Qwertz or Scandic layouts will be easy to get by just swapping a few keys. My guess is it would be done in the factory and not by the user, but it's just a guess.
Don't forget the AZERTY layout !

The Following User Says Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So it’s 4 different layouts? No more no less.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
The picture of the keyboard makes me think is there enough space between the body of the phone and the upper key row? Should be enough space so that it is easy to press the keys.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
So it’s 4 different layouts? No more no less.
Yes, and don't forget, on the AZERTY layout, the enter key has a different form than on the other layouts and there is one additional key. Only moving keys is not enough

Of course, this is only joking, if there is only qwerty, I'll still be happy, until I can exchange physical keys and remap the keyboard by myself :>

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit