Posts: 67 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Hope this is the right thread to ask for help.
Today I installed nitdroid using the nitdroid installer from the repositories.
Tried installing the Umay edition using the various methods mentioned but always ended up in a bootloop and had to reflash the maemo kernel to get my phone back to life.
The STD installer worked a treat, multibooting between nitdroid and maemo.
Only problem is, the version it installs is topaz which is based on 1.6 and is an old version. I think that, by using the STD nitdroid installer I have installed it to my mmc card (8gb) but am not sure - how do I check? But more importantly, any instructions or advice as to how to upgrade to Umay edition? I tried a search but the instructions seem to be for an emmc installation and when I try downloading and installing the Umay via changing the nitdroid.manifest file, I end up in the bootloop again.
Hope you can point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Last edited by mmarks; 2011-08-17 at 21:47.

Just a bit curious any of you guys have encountered the problem of not having the 'add new apn' option in access point names after a clean install of N12UMay? It is happening to me though I installes Umay twice and I still get no add new apn option. any clues??

Originally Posted by mmarks View Post
Hope this is the right thread to ask for help.
Today I installed nitdroid using the nitdroid installer from the repositories.
Tried installing the Umay edition using the various methods mentioned but always ended up in a bootloop and had to reflash the maemo kernel to get my phone back to life.
The STD installer worked a treat, multibooting between nitdroid and maemo.
Only problem is, the version it installs is topaz which is based on 1.6 and is an old version. I think that, by using the STD nitdroid installer I have installed it to my mmc card (8gb) but am not sure - how do I check? But more importantly, any instructions or advice as to how to upgrade to Umay edition? I tried a search but the instructions seem to be for an emmc installation and when I try downloading and installing the Umay via changing the nitdroid.manifest file, I end up in the bootloop again.
Hope you can point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.
Mike
I seriously suggest doing a clean install of UMay onto your emmc. Use the Nitdroid easy install to emmc thread. follow it to the T for method 2 till where you have to unpack the image and the kernel. There you have to type the current names of the image and kernel you are using. BTW which kernel are you using at the moment??

The Following User Says Thank You to rafpac For This Useful Post:
Thanks rafpac. Can you point a link to the thread, I am finding lots of different ones and not sure which is the one you refer to.
Also, to do a clean install, how do I completely remove the existing install?
I am using the kernel that came with the topov install - not sure which one that is.

Thanks rafpac. Can you point a link to the thread, I am finding lots of different ones and not sure which is the one you refer to.
Also, to do a clean install, how do I completely remove the existing install?
I am using the kernel that came with the topov install - not sure which one that is.C
Ok for UMay you are going to need ntrdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07_rc3. I assume you know where to get it.

Here's the link for the guide:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Nitdroid_easy_install_on_EMMC

follow method 2 and it should uninstall your previous install. One more thing the firs three items they ask you to download to root is the image which should be N12_UMay.tar.bz2, kernel which is the one I metioned before and the fdisk, use the link provided.

post to the thread how it goes.

Last edited by rafpac; 2011-08-18 at 07:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to rafpac For This Useful Post:
Thanks again rafpac, I am concerned over installing to emmc as I will then lose all my MyDocs folders (16gb music, 1000s of photoes etc). I know it suggests backup first but I still feel dubious. Also, how does this implement multiboot? I read through the method 2 instructions and can't work out how it is implemented. Is there any difinitive guide to installing UMay on MMC (without bootloops!!!!)

Thanks again rafpac, I am concerned over installing to emmc as I will then lose all my MyDocs folders (16gb music, 1000s of photoes etc). I know it suggests backup first but I still feel dubious. Also, how does this implement multiboot? I read through the method 2 instructions and can't work out how it is implemented. Is there any difinitive guide to installing UMay on MMC (without bootloops!!!!)
all valid questions mmarks. Its just as easy as taking all your folders and files from your n900 root and putting them somewhere in your computer. as for multi boot you'll notice at the end of the guide the last few commands setup mmcblk0p5 as the partition to depackage and install the image and the kernel. Once you install the kernel multiboot is implemented. once you are done copy all your files and folders back into your n900 root. you will lse about 8 gigs to android though. but thats cool.
NOTE KEEP A SDCARD IN THE CARD SLOT OR ANDROID WONT BOOT.

Originally Posted by trigaum View Post
Thank you guys!
My NITDroid UMay is fully functional!

I had Vostok on EMMC and installed UMay on top of it just using the method listed on the Wiki.
And installed the new Kernel RC3 by the XTerminal and the SMS and USB MASS is working fine!
Thank you!!!
Hey Trigaum. just read your post. seems like you got it all figured out. i am kinda stuck. i installed umay on clean and it loads up nice. however when i try to setup my mobile data i dont get the option add new APN. did you face this problem? Let me know if you have any ideas. my sms sending recieving works fine. but no edge or 3g

Anyways I figured out the problem with the APN. So onto the main business at hand. I would like to thank e-yes and all the members of nitdroid project. I dont know why you work day and night to make this happen and still put up with our nonsense but we appreciate you for it.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Chennai, India
I was just wondering, why would i get this "Guru meditation error" for the first ever time while starting over again with NITDroid. Then i realized to remove the mmc card and the booted into NITDroid, voila. No more such errors.

My MicroSD card had MeeGo image written,for the other kernel to boot.

Is there any check on the Microsd card though i haven't mentioned mmcblk1 anywhere in NITDroid?

Tags
android, nitdroid