Posts: 118 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Brazil
Hey there!

I'm a proudly owner of a N900, and really impressed.

I've read the Jakiman's overclocking tutorial, and there says that at most 5% of the existing N900 can overclock through 1150Mhz.

Today I gave a try and I find myself confused. It was completely stable at Ideal preset and 850Mhz, so i decided to go beyond. 1Ghz, still stable. As expected, I went to 1.15Ghz, Ideal. The device was absolutely normal, and a bit more fast than 850Mhz.

"Duh, " - I thought -"I have to set 1Ghz min and 1.15Ghz max to really see a difference!"

Said and done, my N900 was stable, hot and not that fast as I imagine it would be. MyPaint would still doing that kinda lag and so on. The games (like WebOS' Hero of Sparta) run great, but like it was at 850Mhz max.

Im my opinion (w/ really testing it) it wasn't really at 1.15Ghz, at the second try. Does anybody know something about this? And, is normal that SmartReflex doesn't work?

Thanks in advance!

I was born intelligent
education ruined me.

Originally Posted by tuliobaars View Post

"Duh, " - I thought -"I have to set 1Ghz min and 1.15Ghz max to really see a difference!"

Im my opinion (w/ really testing it) it wasn't really at 1.15Ghz, at the second try. Does anybody know something about this? And, is normal that SmartReflex doesn't work?

Thanks in advance!
To your first point, hell no. The "ondemand" governor will speed the processor up to max when the CPU load exceeds 75%, then taper it down as the load drops off. You may/will get slightly more responsiveness by setting a minimum (it won't wait for CPU load in order to speed up), but, you won't do the device (or your battery life) any good if it spends all its time at 1GHz. Let the ondemand governor do its job, if you want it to be more aggressive about speeding up the CPU when needed, then tune that 75% down to 60% CPU, or even 50%.

Secondly, it is quite normal that SmartReflex doesn't work in tandem with frequencies over 805MHz. If you keep your clock at 805 or below, it seems to work in more cases than not, and does save a worthwhile amount of battery life. Personally, I use the "ideal" voltages (anything less works 'til I use the microSD, then introduces corruption), min. 500 and max. of 805MHz, plus SmartReflex on VDD1 and VDD2, and that has so far worked for pretty much everything I do. The hardware will go higher, but, it's the point of diminishing returns for me in terms of the battery life.