Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I just found this post on DosBox, and I don't know where else to ask my question, which is:

On the N900, and using the key mapper, is Dosbox now working with all of the keys accessible? I mean, is DosBox fairly stable and quick on the N900, and can I use any key from the N900's keyboard, including the numbers keys and + - / \ : ; etc. and will all keypresses be understood by any program running in DosBox?

Thanks.

[

dosbox now running on Nokia 770!

Download at http://pupnik.de/dosbox.html

Changes: Packaged to .deb, updated to 0.72+ cvs with new alignment fixes. Support for xkbd autostart. Mouse auto-calibration should work in some games - drag stylus slowly across all four corners of the game screen.

Update Feb 16: New N800/N810 version up - should install without dependencies - fixed N810 keyboard problem - should install on OS2007 also (not tested).

Update Feb 27: Thanks to ukki we now have Rubybox! a dosbox frontend launcher specifically for maemo/ITOS.

Rubybox requires two ruby packages:
ruby1.8
ruby1.8-maemo
To install these on OS2008, click on the following link to the .install file for the GPL Systems Repository (repository containing ruby) then in application manager go to the section 'programming' and install the ruby packages.

[

Update March 04: New dosbox bundled with vertical/left-hand-side keyboard map. You can now change the .xkbd map by editing /usr/bin/dosboxkbd to point to whatever .xkbd layoutfile and -geometry positioning you want.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
looks stable... i have never used it tho... youtue it you'll see a bunch of ppl using to emulate win3.11/win95 etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Recently, I got a strange problem with Dosbox on N900. When i try to use it with:
Code:
output=overlay
...in config, Dosbox crash with segfault. Here is output I get, when running it from within terminal:
Code:
DOSBox version 0.74
Copyright 2002-2010 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /home/user/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74.conf
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
ALSA:Can't open sequencer
MIDI:Opened device:none
Segmentation fault
I thought it is something sound-related, but messing with sound emulation settings doesn't help, and just setting:
Code:
output=surface
..."fixes" the problem. Ho ever, surface doesn't allow scalling, so I get original resolution (even in fullscreen) = most games are unplayable, or too small to be enjoyable.

The most weird thing is, that it worked with same setting ~2 months ago. I haven't used dosbox in meantime, nor changed it's settings. Ho ever, for sure I've updated some packages - I got no idea, which one may be related. I'm using latest CSSU and kp48 (also was updated in time between last use of dosbox, and today failure)

I tried to search this thread for similar issues, without any luck. Help *much* appreciated...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Ok, some new research data about "problem":

output=overlay still result in segmentation fail, no matter of settings. ho ever, I "discovered", that error lines just before segfault - about alsa, snd etc - are not related to problem. They appear also, when using output=surface.

It seems now, that surface is only one working mode for N900. Ho ever, it's possible to use it with image stretched to full screen - using <any scaner>2x (3x ones result in segfault, probably for resolution reasons). It seems ok - still I think surface=overlay with scaler=none and fullscreen resolution set to 800x480 could be faster, but it isn't working. And, I'm not sure about any speed advantage, it's just guesswork (hardware scaling).

It seems that I might be mistaken - maybe it was surface, that worked month or two ago. It's possible that I experimented, and by accident, left output=overlay for a long time, resulting in "me thinking" that such settings worked before.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-11-13 at 00:58.

Shameless bump, + another small question - is there a way to achieve right mouse click in dosbox? I got it working in Maemo by using alt_gr(also called - wrong - FN, aka blue arrow) + tap, but dosbox ignores Maemo settings...

Thanks for help in advance, if, by any chance, someone is still reading this. Which, I'm beginning to doubt
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Shameless bump, + another small question - is there a way to achieve right mouse click in dosbox? I got it working in Maemo by using alt_gr(also called - wrong - FN, aka blue arrow) + tap, but dosbox ignores Maemo settings...

Thanks for help in advance, if, by any chance, someone is still reading this. Which, I'm beginning to doubt
What about the volume rockers?

tbh, I use DosBox within NITDroid, works much smoother.

To be honest, unless someone give rationale why it should run smoother on incomplete (for N900) OS, I count it as placebo effect. I remember, that you were advocating aDosbox as "faster" few months ago - then, after requests for source code (due to adosbox violating GPL), it turned out to be worth of *none* speedup changes, compared to real dosbox. So, it worked exactly the same way as normal dosbox.

If this time You're using regular dosbox on Android, it is also placebo, cause code is exactly same.

---

Anyway, volume rockers are F8 and F7, respectively. Finally, I found a way to assign F10 and other non-standard keys - without need for external keyboard. I was interpreting mapper wrong way - keyboard show on it is virtual, and pressed keys are "real", hardware ones. I thought it is the way other (displayed keys real, pressed is binded virtual).

So, it was just matter of choosing F10 on screen, pressing key I like to assign as F10 (lets say x), then, deleting binding virtual x to real x (otherwise, pressing x would result in casting x and F10 at the same time).

Still, I have no idea how to assign right mouse button in dosbox - it is crucial in some programs and games.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2011-11-13 at 01:00.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
While it might not be sexy, I use xbindkeys with xmodmap.

/usr/bin/left
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3"

/usr/bin/right
xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"

/home/user/.xbindkeysrc
"usr/bin/left"
F8

"usr/bin/right"
F7

To find the correct key code to change the bindings
xbindkeys -k

To start the key bindings
xbindkeys

To end it
killall xbindkeys

Cheers.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I asked this awhile ago to make it easier but never got a response.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ys#post1065744

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
To be honest, unless someone give rationale why it should run smoother on incomplete (for N900) OS, I count it as placebo effect. I remember, that you were advocating aDosbox as "faster" few months ago - then, after requests for source code (due to adosbox violating GPL), it turned out to be worth of *none* speedup changes, compared to real dosbox. So, it worked exactly the same way as normal dosbox.

If this time You're using regular dosbox on Android, it is also placebo, cause code is exactly same.
I think you mean anDosbox, not adosbox.
And yes, if you do compare them, you WILL see that it IS much smoother then the Maemo version.

Also, the use of special keys are just working VERY well on anDosBox. I will make a video where you can see that it IS actually MUCH better then the original Maemo port.

I'll be back with a video comparison.