Active Topics

http://www.umpcportal.com/2015/09/ve...y-dock-leaked/

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/...0005t58558usca

I will be most likely getting a Dell Venue 8 Pro 5855 after Christmas to replace my aging Samsung Galaxy note 8.0, when the device is widely available. The pen functionality, USB c Port, 1920x1200 screen, atom x5 processor and windows 10 are what attract me. If not this device I will probably get a Hp Pro Tablet 608 g1. Android is too meh for my taste and the gnu/Linux Tablet options are not that good, Windows is my tablet choice for the time being.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Android is too meh for my taste and the gnu/Linux Tablet options are not that good, Windows is my tablet choice for the time being.
What led you to rule out iOS/iPad?

Also would like to see update on your experience after you get your new device.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
http://www.umpcportal.com/2015/09/ve...y-dock-leaked/

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/...0005t58558usca

I will be most likely getting a Dell Venue 8 Pro 5855 after Christmas to replace my aging Samsung Galaxy note 8.0, when the device is widely available. The pen functionality, USB c Port, 1920x1200 screen, atom x5 processor and windows 10 are what attract me. If not this device I will probably get a Hp Pro Tablet 608 g1. Android is too meh for my taste and the gnu/Linux Tablet options are not that good, Windows is my tablet choice for the time being.
I got plenty of Venue 8 Pro, Acer Iconias 1/2, some Toshibas, and Prestigios in company I work for. And I can say its a nightmare to manage big amount of Windows Tablets.

They all share similar hardware, and problems, like hanging camera(needs reboots, disabling "Fast Boot" helps usually(but not always), and Dells with WiFi and LTE sometimes crashesh OS (Dell tried to help us, released some BIOS updates later, that fixed problem partially (with FastBoot disabled its even better). Their official recommendation is to disable WiFi or LTE Modem in Device Manager...

Problem with Camera happens on all brands, BIOS versions, Driver versions and Windows 8.1/Windows10. It happened few times to be out-of-the-box experience on Venue 8 Pro ;-)

The worst are Prestigio (never used other no-name brands like Colorovo), they got broken batteries or power circuits, and we are sending them again and again to service centers. Battery breaks and sometimes explodes after few months of usage. It doesn't matter if its original charger or if its hot or cold(we bought first Prestigios in December and got problems immediately). We never had similar problems with Dell, Toshiba and Acers.

The cheaest 16GB Prestigios with Win8.0 were very unstable and needed factory reset after filling HDD, what happened in few days after giving it to employee. 16GB sounds not so bad, but 5GB are dedicated to Recovery Parition, Windows 8.1 with updates takes 10.4GB(its somehow compressed to 7.66GB), and theres also Program Files and Users Dirs.
If you Install Windows 10(there's option when upgrading to not save content), and make cleaning(there's diedicated tool in disk properties), it will be better

It's getting better after they started deliovering with updated version of Windows 8.1 (or maybe Micro$oft fixed something in their update servers), but over year ago it was lottery if it will be succesfully updated(the worst ere win8.0 to 8.1 upgrades, hopefully it's no longer a case). Some of them needed 3 attempts(with factory resets between) to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

So I'm not recommending anything running Windows, but I don't have any experience with non-windows tablets (I don't need computer w/o keyboard, Nokia n9 is enough for most tasks, when I am too far(or too lazy to get laptop from backpack). It's Swype is perfect for SMS and VKB/FingerTerm are enough for SSH. It got VPN(so I have access to corporate network), the only problem is old WWW browser which misrenders many sites(some are unusable).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to badpixel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Keep your tablet at home. Don't use it in public. Find yourself a gnu/Linux tablet with a HW keyboard on board.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Android is too meh for my taste and the gnu/Linux Tablet options are not that good, Windows is my tablet choice for the time being.
I've ordered one of these. I'd also prefer Windows 10 on Intel rather than Android. Hopefully in due course Canonical will deliver something worth having, until then...

The Following User Says Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
Keep your tablet at home. Don't use it in public. Find yourself a gnu/Linux tablet with a HW keyboard on board.
I still own a Nokia n810 which is in good condition. That said I want to keep in good condition so I don't really use it heavily and the performance is understandably low. I use it from time to time and show it to fascinated people but as an everyday device it is simply not adequate and fails at many tasks, which is to be expected given the age. Very few Linux tablets actually exist especially ones with keyboards. If I need a keyboard I can get an attachment keyboard or Bluetooth and if I need Linux I can probably install it or dual boot given newer atoms use 64 bit oses and efis and given that Windows tablets are x86 based. So yes I will use a Windows tablet in public.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
What led you to rule out iOS/iPad?

Also would like to see update on your experience after you get your new device.
I have used iOs and I find it too limiting for my taste, even more so than Android. I really don't like the interface.The options for USB host or HDMI out are more limited and not as elegant. SD card support is a feature I must have which no Apple devices have. I also need pen support which only the iPad Pro has, the iPad Pro is too large and too expensive for my needs plus most software doesn't properly utilize the Apple pen. Most iOs apps are not as good as desktop applications, even Android has apps that are ported from the Linux desktop or applications that are comparable to desktop counterparts in terms of features and quality. The ability to customize iOs or use it outside of Apple's ecosystem is limited and requires jailbreaking. These reasons plus the fact that I have nothing in Apple's ecosystem and there is not much unique about apple products makes it a no go for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20SYM9r3UxU
I filmed Windows 10 on the lower end HP Envy Note 8. IT has a Atom x5-z8300, 32gb of storage, and 2gb ram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20SYM9r3UxU
I filmed Windows 10 on the lower end HP Envy Note 8. IT has a Atom x5-z8300, 32gb of storage, and 2gb ram.
Although the atom has firmly established itself as junk,
I have not had the opportunity yet to play with any
Atom x5 hardware - do you think this Envy can be booted into linux ?

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
Although the atom has firmly established itself as junk,
I have not had the opportunity yet to play with any
Atom x5 hardware - do you think this Envy can be booted into linux ?
I don't think the Atom is firmly established as junk for the form factors Atom are in the performance is quite good, even managing to play some older Windows games without problems. The main issue from what I can understand is EFI support. Linux does not support 32 bit EFIs. So make sure whatever Windows Tablet you are buying has a 64 bit EFI and a 64 bit version of Windows. I wasn't able to check as to whether it was 32 bit or 64 bit Windows. There might be some driver issues regardless of what device you are buying, but I can't imagine them being too substantial and if there are there are probably workarounds.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post: