Active Topics

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Actually, I would disagree on this point. Ten years ago, I had the luxury of acquiring an HP Journada handheld PC. The keyboard was just big enough to touch-type on, and the screen just wide enough to comfortably read text; thus, I was able to use the device very much like a traditional laptop machine. But, the handheld PC concept has apparently died out.
Excellent points, being able to develop on the N900 for the N900 is a very liberating experience and completely fits with the full desktop experience as you describe. I would like to completely retract the blatant inaccuracy I tried to put forward that mobile devices are converging on a desktop experience (-:

You have nailed the point on media consumption.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LES.. For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by LES.. View Post
You have nailed the point on media consumption.
I think even Nokia used to define a smartphone as being a "convergent device", meaning it would be usable for consumption and for production of content.

I think the N900 is the last "phone" (even if it's not primarily a phone) having the ability to produce content. The rest are "toys", in the sense that they can only be used for listening and/or viewing content.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/mt/arc...the_iphon.html
Things are getting better on the stylus front though.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Another problem is microUSB for everything : charging, connecting to PC, video output via MHL. So in many smartphone models, the microUSB port is prone to break more easily than some years ago, when charging and video output was done with diferent connectors.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Another problem is microUSB for everything
Well, I don't see the problem there. That means I don't have to keep a bunch of different cords for their respective devices.

I'm cheating though. I couldn't get rid of all my uUSB cords if I tried.

Now having the standard for the majority of smartphones while other smartphones have their own proprietary connectors (e.g. iPhone)? That's annoying.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tigerroast For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
MicroUSB is good for USB connection but really lousy for charging the device. As it happens you need to charge modern phones almost daily so the connector is subject to extra wear and possible bending/breaking...

A while back I learned that repair shops have a list price for repairing damaged microUSB ports, as it seems to be the top contestant for repair, the other being of course fixing broken iPhone displays

What I'd like to see is a sturdy enough connector for charging only, standardized for all handhelds, or wireless charging.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...

Wireless charging is here: but where do you connect it to? Same, micro-USB port. I am speaking about third-party Qi-charging. Unless you have Qi-charging built-in by manufacturer, of course.

Nokia tried to have standard charging connector: 2mm. Round. Small. Probably sturdy. Not manufacturing such phones anymore, though.

Best wishes.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Desktop Syncing - This feature is terribly implemented by all mobile oses and it is one of the most ultra basic.
My bigggest gripe with the N900. I still find it hard to believe that owning a N900 does not allow one to sync ones Evolution email with Modest email. Funambol and what not are not an alternative. These are work-arounds and not a very elegant one at that.

http://213.128.137.28/showthread.php?t=58058

Missed chance for Nokia to get the basics right. That being said: I still use the N900 on a daily basis.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
speaking of reality that we not might even aware of...
David Miller's 10hr seminar which is directly related not just technology but entire future.
Here is part when he speaks of mobile device (cellphone) that now in existence and way mobile industry will go......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgcW6Hzn46w&t=59m25s

The Following User Says Thank You to ed00 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
MicroUSB is good for USB connection but really lousy for charging the device. As it happens you need to charge modern phones almost daily so the connector is subject to extra wear and possible bending/breaking...

A while back I learned that repair shops have a list price for repairing damaged microUSB ports, as it seems to be the top contestant for repair, the other being of course fixing broken iPhone displays

What I'd like to see is a sturdy enough connector for charging only, standardized for all handhelds, or wireless charging.
I know I like to give my Windows Phone a hard time, but this is an area where it deserves credit.

After years of wear-and-tear, that uUSB port is working like Day 1. There seems to be nothing I could do that can break it.

Anecdotal? Yes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tigerroast For This Useful Post: