Notices

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
A new version of Erminig-NG is available! More information in this post

The new version sports an easy-to use GUI and is ready for a more widespread testing, since it's now available in extras-devel. Please follow the link above to get more information!

This now obsolete post will stay here for historical purposes, but the old version of Erminig-NG is not available for download anymore.
************************************************** ******************************
Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce the first public (and very alpha) version of Erminig-NG, a tool that allows you to perform two-way synchronization between Fremantle Calendar and Google Calendar.

BIG FAT WARNING: this is still alpha-quality software, so it's not really for those people who are afraid to lose events in their calendars!

Currently Erminig-NG is a command-line only tool (a GUI will follow), and no .deb file is available. At the end of this post there's a .tar.gz that you can download and unpack on your device if you are brave enough to try Erminig-NG.

Please first try it on non-important calendars (or better yet, create ad-hoc calendars for the tests), since a screw-up in Erminig-NG may trash your calendars!

Software dependencies: python-gdata (available in Extras). By installing it (I won't give out the instruction about how to install python-gdata, in order to restrict a little bit the audience of crazy people wanting to try Erminig-NG), it will pull all the necessary dependencies (namely Python2.5)

How to install Erminig-NG
Download and unpack the archive file somewhere on your device
Open the file erminig_conf.py and change the first two variables (they represent your Google username and password)

How to run Erminig-NG

For the first run:

Code:
% python2.5 erminig-ng --sync-calendars
This will ask you which calendar (both local and remote) you want to keep in sync

WARNING: For the moment it is important to run Erminig-NG for the first time with the --sync-calendars option, otherwise it will miss old events to import (known bug). Similarly, adding calendars to sync after the first real sync will miss old events (only new events from the time of the last sync will be synced in the the new calendar). Uhm, this is quite convoluted as an explanation...I hope that you will get the essence of this warning though

Code:
% python2.5 erminig-ng
This will perform the bulk of the work and keep in sync the calendars. This is the command you want to run when you wish to synchronize your calendars.

If you added a local or Google calendar, you may want to rerun Erminig-NG with the --sync-calendars, so that it will ask you if you want to sync the newly discovered calendars (with the gotcha mentioned above!)

Important: I won't take any responsibility for trashed calendars, so if you missed a date with your girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/husband/whatever, or you missed your flight, or any kind other kind of event related to calendar due to mis-synchronization I can only be sorry (and I apologize, sincerely), but it cannot go further than that.

UFAQ (Upcoming FAQ ))
  • There's a bug, what should I do?
    Two options:

- report it in this thread, if possible by providing accurate step-by-step instructions
    - Contact me by mail: lorelei@garage.maemo.org (again with accurate instructions)

In the future I will open a bugs.maemo.org component for Erminig-NG, in order to keep track of everything, but first I want to see how it is received within the community before investing resources that are not mine (i.e. maemo.org's bugzilla)
  • Should I synchronize the local calendars called "cal_ti_calendar_synced" and "cal_ti_calendar_private"?
    No idea. I think that those are the built-in default calendars, but I've never tried to sync them.
  • I would like to reset Erminig-NG to a known state (i.e. a state where it doesn't know anything about calendars relationships)
    Remove the file ~/.erminig.db
    This will make Erminig-NG going back to "factory settings"
    Please note that this may generate duplicate events in Google or Fremantle Calendar if you perform a resync on calendar previously synced.
  • What is the stability status of Erminig-NG ?
    It's in early alpha stage. I'm just starting to pin down the basic functionalities before moving on the the GUI part
  • What about sync conflicts (modification of an event both on Google and on the local calendar)?
    There's no explicit handling of conflicting updates for the moment. This will be addressed in a future version
  • Why no .deb package (or why not in Extras-devel)?
    Erminig-NG is still in early development phase, so by publishing only the .tar.gz I will try to "scare away" people who is not comfortable with command-line. This is for your own good. Don't blame me (or maybe yes). Proper packaging will come in its own time.
  • What works, what doesn't work?
    So far, I can tell for sure that recurrent events don't work. It's not a bug (yet): it's simply not implemented yet. This will be supported in the future.
  • How does this relate to Erminig (not -NG?)
    I'm also maintaining Erminig (two-way sync between GPE calendar and Google Calendar), and Erminig-NG will eventually replace it. It is planned to support both GPE and "Fremantle-Calendar". By rewriting Erminig from scratch I will be able to eliminate a lot of unused code in Erminig, and this will allow me to understand more in details how Google Calendar works (please remember that I'm not the original author of Erminig, I just picked up the development. Erminig-NG on the other hand will be essentially a clean-room reimplementation of Erminig)
  • Code is ugly (not really a question, I know).
    hum. Yes. I won't deny it. It's just the first draft. It will get cleaned.
---------------------

with that said, enjoy and please report any bug you may find!

Last edited by lorelei; 2010-03-09 at 08:32. Reason: New version available...

The Following 68 Users Say Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
beeing one of those you (should) scare away from alpha software, I am going to trail this thread hoping it will hit repos soon.

It looks promising, good luck working on it!

Really cool, this is the type of functinality the N900 needs, for now I am using a free 3rd party server that syncs the calender via MfE and it seems to work perfectly so far, I do however look forward to this so I can do it directly within my device.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Can you tell whats the difference with syncing using Mail for exchange and Google calendar? That works here fine.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Can you tell whats the difference with syncing using Mail for exchange and Google calendar? That works here fine.
Syncing with MfE can sync only the main calendar of Google (and not all sub-calendars); likewise only one local calendar can be synced with MfE. Erminig-NG can sync any local or Google Calendar.

Additionally, if I'm not mistaken, the fact that MfE can sync Google Calendar is an "accidental feature", that just happens to work. At the moment I can't find the post that explicitly said that...

ahh i was waiting for such an app to appear..
(if java was a supported language on maemo i already would have picked it up, now i wait for a good development environment on windows first...)

so this app talks directly to google api and syncs it right into the calendar of the N900 including multiply calendars?
Dont know exactly the status of the google api but does it also handle/give you back the shared/public cals i have? Because i have a few that i really want to sync up with (like sports calendar of my favorite club)

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
Will be following this closely. I was just in the process of writing an email to see if anyone was developing this type of application.

Thanks! Sounds great! I'll try to test it in the next couple days...

% python2.5 erminig-ng --sync-calendars

This will ask you which calendar (both local and remote) you want to keep in sync
And, what am I supposed to answer? do I paste in one of the calendar links from the google calendar site? (sorry, I haven't tried this yet, just trying to figure out what the functionality is).

Does this support syncing from multiple calendars?

I use google calendar for 3 calendars, that are shared with 3 different groups of people (read-write) by sharing a google account and password.

The Following User Says Thank You to feydrutha For This Useful Post:

Tags
erminig, erminig-ng, ernie nig, google calendar, google sync, synchronization