Active Topics

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Non-existent to pitiful.
I guess many people have the expectation it would behave like desktop Ubuntu. But it doesn't. The people responsible for this part of behavior have time and again used the "iOS does it like this and look how successfull it is" excuse. Ubuntu Touch is looking at copying iOS in many aspects because they see it as successfull and what users want and need, and there doesn't seem to be much room for trying to do some of these things better.
The true multitasking of a desktop OS is mandatory for me to replace my N900 - the absence of it makes ubuntu touch totally irrelevant - i might as well just buy an android phone.

I think i'll wait for the next jolla phone - hopefully it'll be better than the existing one in terms of resolution, memory, CPU and a larger external SD card support.

i wonder if their wireless chip supports monitor/sniffing mode.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Why not? That video showed nothing about multitasking. The best case scenario is that when tablet is docked it allows multitasking (and that's not enough at least for me).
I think you are right. As an undocked tablet it will behave as does UT at the moment, unless you override and place it in windowed mode and then just OOM considerations apply.

Originally Posted by impeham View Post
I think i'll wait for the next jolla phone - hopefully it'll be better than the existing one in terms of resolution, memory, CPU and a larger external SD card support.
Well Jolla supports very large SD cards, mine has a 128GB in it, you just need to format it a format like ext4 or btrfs or install exfat fuse support. I use ext4 on my card. I suspect it can support up to 2TB. The reason they cannot advertise it is they did not pay a license to Microsoft for the exfat support as required by spec so they can only claim to suppor the fat32 cards and below.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
One comment on Android, if it is Google Android (play support and all that) there are privacy concerns so one thing Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish has is perhaps less tracking of everything you do. If that is interesting to you then that would be a reason to get UT over Google Android. That said you can of course get Android without all the Google stuff.

...Despite my seemingly scathing words I'd like to still empathize that it is still open-source - much more than SailfishOS for example. So even though they have made choices that I strongly detest, you could modify even those parts if you were determined enough.

So I do nevertheless support Ubuntu Touch and wish them well, even though at it's current state I see little reason to use it myself.
Thanks for this insight,
- I was left wondering exactly this after using UT for awhile - if sailfish would be a viable alternative - and there is simply no way I would use something less open.
Ubuntu is a borked cadaver infested with webfarts
crawling around pretending to be actual programs,
but yes, apt-get on UT still works.
The only use for apt-get are console programs but that still beats nothing at all by a huge margin.
Still,
even then wiping Ubuntu Touch
and trying to shoehorn Nemo is beginning to seem to be
potentially more attractive than continuing to suffer this
suicidally depressive Ubuntu Touch.

A tablet with Ubuntu Touch sounds like a
cutting board with led background.
Useful, perhaps,
for chopping onions

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
As of right now I see this tablet as the best option if you want to support something open-source, since Jolla failed big time with the tablet I don't exclect another try for a while and other OSes don't have the power to make a name to get enough support to make it work.

I don't get everything I want but atleast I get something.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
The price has been.announced http://http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/20...tion-buy-price
Link is Broken. Its a scam?

Too many http for My tastes...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
The price has been.announced http://http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/20...tion-buy-price
Correct Link

A++

The Following User Says Thank You to colin.stephane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
As of right now I see this tablet as the best option if you want to support something open-source, since Jolla failed big time with the tablet I don't exclect another try for a while and other OSes don't have the power to make a name to get enough support to make it work.

I don't get everything I want but atleast I get something.
If it can be set to dual/multi boot - Android/UT that would suite me. I caanot buy a tablet that does not support Minecraft PE... Sorry, I would not be forgiven.