Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Why is one USB port a bad thing?

Does it not allow use of USB hubs? or Bluetooth keyboards/mice? or wireless networking?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
A single port - be it USB or some propriatary concoction - for charging and data connection is acceptable on small devices that are always slaves. Such as cameras or phones. It is a terrible idea on master devices like laptops and tablets.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Hmm. I'm not so sure about that combination. The thing that won me over for Gnome3, the same thing I had overlooked when I first disgarded it, is the use of keyboard shortcuts. It makes operating the desktop amazingly quick,
+7624876378
I hated it at first, but once you master all key combos......... LOVE
For TS it wouldn't be so good, using it with mouse only pretty much shows how it would be on TS. Still far better than GNOME 2 was on hp tx1000 but keyboard is a must for good experience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
A single port - be it USB or some propriatary concoction - for charging and data connection is acceptable on small devices that are always slaves. Such as cameras or phones. It is a terrible idea on master devices like laptops and tablets.
If the port allows both charging AND usage of HUB at the same time (even if by 3rd party adaptor), then I can accept it on the explanation of size limitations.

Of course, if the port is also used for DVI video out, it should allow all THREE things to happen at the same time (video, USB-hosting and charging) to not be considered crippled design - I have no idea if such combinations are even possible, though. So, in such cases, big +1 for dedicated charging ports.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I can see your point with laptops but not tablets. What do you need to plug in to a tablet?

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
+7624876378
I hated it at first, but once you master all key combos......... LOVE
For TS it wouldn't be so good, using it with mouse only pretty much shows how it would be on TS. Still far better than GNOME 2 was on hp tx1000 but keyboard is a must for good experience.
Yeah, I've talked with people who tried to run Gnome Shell on tablets and they told me it was not really usable unfortunately...

BTW, I think this is probably the wiki page used for Gnome Shell touch screen compatibility tracking.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I can see your point with laptops but not tablets. What do you need to plug in to a tablet?
Pendrive, mouse, keyboard, 3G dongle, whatever? USB host is for purpose, and having it "you either do charging or hostmoding" is silly, esp. that hostmode is the thing using most power, esp. on low-power devices, like tablets.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: