Being locked out upon device failure wouldn't be such a big problem were we to be able to meet someone in person who could reset the system and let us log in again. Fortunitally or not society has moved to technology dependency and away from in person interaction. It's been a long time comming, (30 years, 50 years? +) in but it's here now. You'll never goto a bank and meet a person again. If your device breaks you're lost.

The Following User Says Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
Hello

2FA is the main reason why I have to leave my N900 (with TLS 1.3 support) and I have just received my Fairphone 4 but still investigating how to use it "properly" (LineageOS or /e/OS...)

Before that choice, I had to:

- for work VPN, request a one-time-challenge paper-card alternative to official Android app requiring Google Services

- for a first customer's VPN, request a SIM replacement to get STK authentication based but discovered Maemo has not this software support (introduced later in Meego / oPhono)... so I have to shutdown my N900 to move SIM card to an old Symbian device to authenticate

- for a second customer's VPN, request for the smartcard OTP alternative but support team was no longer at ease how to set it up at first trial (and meanwhile run the application on my son's phone...)

- soon, an online service of my bank (one-time-use visa card generation with credit limit) will no longer send SMS for 2FA, so an Android app will be soon required

I have tried to setup a androidbox to run these applications but I have probably not invest enough time in it... too slow in virtualbox, no access to store...

Definitely I get tired of these efforts to keep my N900 as my only daily phone... But I expect to find enough time to convert it for others' usage (game, music player...) with Leste, when I will be over with my calendar and sms/phone calls history migration to "Android"-or-affiliate I need to discover

The Following User Says Thank You to ymartin59 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by ymartin59 View Post
2FA is the main reason why I have to leave my N900 (with TLS 1.3 support)
We already showed that 2FA works just fine on N900, so this reason can't be the main one :-)

- for a first customer's VPN, request a SIM replacement to get STK authentication based but discovered Maemo has not this software support (introduced later in Meego / oPhono)... so I have to shutdown my N900 to move SIM card to an old Symbian device to authenticate
Yes, STK isn't supported on N900, and in many ways, it might be a good thing.

soon, an online service of my bank (one-time-use visa card generation with credit limit) will no longer send SMS for 2FA, so an Android app will be soon required
I think that OTP program we already mentioned can handle this one too.

Leste, when I will be over with my calendar and sms/phone calls history migration to "Android"-or-affiliate I need to discover
With Leste you can possibly install many more types of OTP applications available in Devuan

The Following User Says Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
N900 with TLS 1.3 support? If someone has got this working why it hasn't been shouted over the roof tops? Does all the other members have this working? Would you be so kind and share all good tricks and tweaks so that others who still use N900 could benefit of yoir knowledge?

I think there are many many tweaks people who have still been using N900 know. Maybe someone who knows stuff could start a thread called "Keeping N900 alive 2022 from mouth to mouth". It would be nice to have all this info even just for historic purposes, when someone likes to trace down how it's been possible people used Fremantle so long.

I myself am mainly interested how security concerned people have done things, to access and use internet, how to circumvent digital profiling.

I hope someone could make a detailed info how to get TLS1.3 support for N900, how to update and setup certs, how to set up nginx for other than default browser (I think Fennec 17 from thumb or Dooble browser would be best browsers to get to work), how to use mail safely etc.

I have nginx setup for microb but it lacks many stuff, Opera with tls 1.2 with openssl 1.1 and certs updated from devel repo doesn't help anymore.

Modest mail with IMAP works with the tinymailcamel package fix, and Easy debbie with Netsurf 3.10 is the latest and securest browser but doesn't handle videos or java that well.

Please if you know good stuff, share.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
You may be right, but I consider I had little chance to reverse-engineer how these 2FA applications are designed to guess how to proceed with multiple round-trip registration steps which are probably implemented to prevent use of "standard" alternative OTP codes.

Did you make some progresses on how to use it "properly" (LineageOS or /e/OS...)?

I personally still feel limpy in my efforts to find an N900 alternative (ATM Xperiy XA2 + SFOS)

The Following User Says Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
@Ric9K Even if it not the right place, I am using stock FairPhone OS (at least for warranty, it sounds me risky to unlock boot loader) without Google account (never accepted conditions) and do not use Google applications/services... even if Youtube still delivers notifications, and Play Store still delivers updates. I have setup F-Droid and use alternatives applications. Next steps are rooting, allow signature spoofing if possible, to replace google services by microG... But probably I will install /e/OS when available for FP4.
I really lack a proper "complete" and "offline" backup/restore process for Android without use of cloud services - typically something like Samsung Smart Switch.