Notices

Hi,

I am looking at a stack of bills and I know I should have been expecting them but I wasn't. So, I am thinking of setting up a little budget. I have a free windows program for it somewhere, but I never liked the GUI of that. Now I'm thinking this would be a neat N900 application.

Is there anything like this on the platform? I want to be able to plan recurring bills at different intervals, see where they stack up, so I can be a little better prepared. So, simple needs. Don't need to handle accounts or anything, I guess.

If there isn't any budget planning software like this, I'm thinking I'll just write myself a net application for it. Unless you already know of one that is free and works well for this kind of recurring planning? I suspect Google Calendar, Remember The Milk and services like these aren't right for budgets... But I might be wrong.

Wha'yasay?

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
I think you're likely to find a package for this in the Debian world that you could get working on the N900 using the Easy Debian environment that's been mentioned many times on forum...

Or there's always the simpler and non-technical solution: set up an automatic transfer of funds from your main checking/current account into a savings account, and forget it's there until you need it. Doing this smooths things like my yearly car insurance payment out nicely for me.
http://www.eff.org.

Well, that's what I am planning to do anyway, but I want to know how large these automatic transfers needs to be :B

Actually I have had easydeb installed a week or so, tried it first time yesterday. I don't think there were too many simple freeware planning applications on windows, I don't know what exists on Debian. My needs aren't too different from what I'd want in a simple calendar like the one already in the N900. Just bills instead of tasks. Also, the N900 one doesn't work too good on recursive things anyway. But it works better on set dates than every 2nd monday, so I guess it'd do.

On a side note, the program I mentioned I have been using on Windows is Ace Money Lite.

There was some interest in this, so I am planning to make some concept interface mock-up here... If I get the time.

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by volt View Post
There was some interest in this, so I am planning to make some concept interface mock-up here... If I get the time.
ive got some ideas as well myself, have been giving it some thought on the weekend after our discussion.
Was planning on starting a prototype this week, the graphs and stuff seem to be the bigger effort, wondering if I shouldleave that out for now and get a working app running first....
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

I think that is smart. Once the numbers can be crunched into a working system, we can begin thinking about what we can do with them.

Edit: kinda makes me want to set up a dev environment myself.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ New Delhi, India
What about the Qtbudget app in the devel.. It looks sleek, but it is a demo I think. I can't find how to delete any entries that I have already made. Once the app is finished, I guess it should be good enough.

You can check out siggy, it's a budget planner, should be in extras-devel

I'll have a look at siggy, then.

Also noticed that one of the "winners" from last years application contest was a finance tracker of some sort. That was on Symbian though.

And now there's a contest again, "Best application for the Nokia N900 will get $50,000 in cash".