Originally Posted by levone1 View Post
I tried again, as you said, with the same result. As I said, starting the container, and attaching to gain shell, as well as every other function I've tried, works fine from the gui. Container starts, shows 'running', and root@Linux shell appears when tapping "attach", with full fs intact. But attempting to open x-session shows, "...xwayland not found". I've waited for up to 10 mins...
Thanks
Interesting. Silly question, did you install/set up the desktop gui (/mnt/guest/setup_desktop.sh then /mnt/guest/setups/debian.sh from command line within the container or the 'setup xsession' in the app under the 'advanced controls')? From what you describe it looks like there is no GUI installed in the container, only command line.

Edit1:
In your host under /home/.lxc/<container_name>/opt/bin there should be some files:
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      13318156 Jul 28 16:46 Xwayland
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            27 Jul 28 16:23 kill_xwayland.sh -> /mnt/guest/kill_xwayland.sh
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            27 Jul 28 16:23 setup_desktop.sh -> /mnt/guest/setup_desktop.sh
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            27 Jul 28 16:23 start_desktop.sh -> /mnt/guest/start_desktop.sh
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            27 Jul 28 16:23 start_onboard.sh -> /mnt/guest/start_onboard.sh
Edit2:
What was the problem? I guess you haven't installed the gui in your desktop distro.

Last edited by edp17; 2020-09-02 at 13:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by edp17 View Post
Interesting. Silly question, did you install/set up the desktop gui (/mnt/guest/setup_desktop.sh then /mnt/guest/setups/debian.sh from command line within the container or the 'setup xsession' in the app under the 'advanced controls')? From what you describe it looks like there is no GUI installed in the container, only command line.

Edit1:
In your host under /home/.lxc/<container_name>/opt/bin there should be some files:
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            27 Jul 28 16:23 kill_xwayland.sh -> /mnt/guest/kill_xwayland.sh
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            27 Jul 28 16:23 setup_desktop.sh -> /mnt/guest/setup_desktop.sh
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            27 Jul 28 16:23 start_desktop.sh -> /mnt/guest/start_desktop.sh
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            27 Jul 28 16:23 start_onboard.sh -> /mnt/guest/start_onboard.sh
Edit2:
What was the problem? I guess you haven't installed the gui in your desktop distro.
Well, I'm still in the midst of creating new container, I'll let you know ... I realized what the problem was with what I originally posted in my last post, so I changed it to the edited one. Still not sure abou my original problem ... Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
On the Proš, Pavucontrol shows I'm using "Droid sink deep_buffer" in the "Playback device" tab. In the "Output devices" tab, I have "Droid sink primary_output" and "Droid sink deep_buffer", both with "Port: Output to speaker (plugged in)".
I do not have those options.
On "Playback" tab, I have "All streams", "Applications" and "Virtual streams"
On "Output device" tab, I have "All Output Devices", "Hardware Output Devices" and "Virtual Output Devices"

I guess need to install some patches, plugins or extensions, although I don't know what.

The Following User Says Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:

Edit1:
Code:
Edit2:
New container, new error...

Yes I set up desktop gui, trying both with cmd line and with app gui. Both instances were successful, and ended with "...x-session is ready"
Thanks
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by levone1 View Post
New container, new error...

Yes I set up desktop gui, trying both with cmd line and with app gui. Both instances were successful, and ended with "...x-session is ready"
Thanks
I think know now what the problem could be. I just have replicated your scenario.
So, please do the following.
1. Start the container with the gui or manually with sudo lxc-start -n <container_name>
2. Then you need two terminal window (comman-line).
2.a. In one of them issue the following command (watch out for back tick!):
Code:
`/usr/bin/qxdisplay --wayland-socket-name "../../display/wayland-container-0"` &
2.b. Then in the other command-line, run this:
Code:
sudo lxc-attach -n <container_name> -- /mnt/guest/start_desktop.sh 0

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Levone1, can you tell which distribution and release you are trying to install? If Debian Sid, then there is a known issue with the latest updates because a package is no longer available in the repository and this results in a failure to use Xwayland for this release. This was not an issue when I set up my Sid container months ago.

If this is your issue, then there is a failure to compile something during the GUI installation procedure, which you could easily miss because the terminal will just close without giving you time to read any error. When everything goes well, the build procedure should keep the terminal busy for 10-15 minutes depending on the performance of your device.

You may want to try Buster or Testing, or if you're trying to install another distribution, then try to run the setup_desktop.sh script manually in a new terminal session to check where it fails without the window closing itself.

Regarding sound edp17, I didn't install any patches, plugins or extensions, but maybe there is a difference in how the audio sinks are set up between the ports for our respective devices?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Levone1, can you tell which distribution and release you are trying to install? If Debian Sid, then there is a known issue with the latest updates because a package is no longer available in the repository and this results in a failure to use Xwayland for this release. This was not an issue when I set up my Sid container months ago.

If this is your issue, then there is a failure to compile something during the GUI installation procedure, which you could easily miss because the terminal will just close without giving you time to read any error. When everything goes well, the build procedure should keep the terminal busy for 10-15 minutes depending on the performance of your device.

You may want to try Buster or Testing, or if you're trying to install another distribution, then try to run the setup_desktop.sh script manually in a new terminal session to check where it fails without the window closing itself.

Regarding sound edp17, I didn't install any patches, plugins or extensions, but maybe there is a difference in how the audio sinks are set up between the ports for our respective devices?
First attempt was Kali latest. Current attempt is Debian Stretch...

I think know now what the problem could be. I just have replicated your scenario.
So, please do the following.
1. Start the container with the gui or manually with sudo lxc-start -n <container_name>
2. Then you need two terminal window (comman-line).
2.a. In one of them issue the following command (watch out for back tick!):
Code:
`/usr/bin/qxdisplay --wayland-socket-name "../../display/wayland-container-0"` &
2.b. Then in the other command-line, run this:
Code:
sudo lxc-attach -n <container_name> -- /mnt/guest/start_desktop.sh 0
New error...
Attached Images

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Can you try to run the following and post the errors?

Code:
devel-su lxc-attach -n Linux2
/mnt/guest/./setup_desktop.sh
If you don't mind, since we are going into specific details, I suggest creating a new issue on Github to post the output, and continue the discussion there. It would be more adapted to address the issue, and also more useful for future users if the issue turns out to occur in other cases. Also, the developer of the LXC app is not active here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Can you try to run the following and post the errors?

Code:
devel-su lxc-attach -n Linux2
/mnt/guest/./setup_desktop.sh
If you don't mind, since we are going into specific details, I suggest creating a new issue on Github to post the output, and continue the discussion there. It would be more adapted to address the issue, and also more useful for future users if the issue turns out to occur in other cases. Also, the developer of the LXC app is not active here.
Ok... The commands return no errors. First command brings a Linux root shell, and the second one begins the desktop setup as usual , ending with "x-session eeady", (or something).
Maybe I'll try a few different distros...

Tags
application, development, linux