Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I think the script is named start_desktop.sh not just start_desktop. But other than that, there seems to be an issue with Sid now, as xf86vidmodeproto is a required package but is now missing from the unstable repository, which was not the case when we set up our Sid containers here. It should work if you can find a way to install it on Sid (unless there are other issues downstream), or alternatively you could try installing Buster instead, but you'll lose the benefit of having a rolling distributions. You can try Debian Testing too, I'm not sure if it's rolling or discontinuous releases.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I think the script is named start_desktop.sh not just start_desktop. But other than that, there seems to be an issue with Sid now, as xf86vidmodeproto is a required package but is now missing from the unstable repository, which was not the case when we set up our Sid containers here. It should work if you can find a way to install it on Sid (unless there are other issues downstream), or alternatively you could try installing Buster instead, but you'll lose the benefit of having a rolling distributions. You can try Debian Testing too, I'm not sure if it's rolling or discontinuous releases.
Thanks for your anwser. I noticed the script name, and tried to change it before, with no success.
But you're right; it's working with Buster, I was almost sure it was my fault and that I had missed something, with a simple "missing file error".
Thanks a lot

EDIT : run really smooth. But i have 4 littles questions

1 : Is there some tricks about enlarging the UI to be more easy to use with fingers ?
2 : How to right click ? I didn't installed mouse/cursor support, is this related ?
3 : Auto-show when editing text doesn't work with Onboard.
And i tried to export and edit with dconf but i get an empty file.
4 : I have no sound. Tried to install pavucontrol but already installed. Have someone an idea ?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by malibu1106; 2020-08-31 at 13:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malibu1106 For This Useful Post:
1. There is a xfce4 setting hidden somewhere in Appearance settings, together with Font size, but I heard UI scaling might not be included in Buster, just in more recent releases of xfce4 (it is in Sid). You can check in xsettings too I think. This might be a significant issue if there is no way to do that in Buster, let us know.

In i3, I customized the DPI value in ~/.Xresources as follows (you can see the scale in the video in the first page):

~/.Xresources

Code:
Xft.dpi: 180
xterm*font: *-font-*-*-*-20-*
And then I source ~/.Xresources in ~/.xinitrc with:

~/.xinitrc
Code:
xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
And ~/.xinitrc itself is sourced in my i3 configuration file like this:

~/.config/i3/config

Code:
exec_always --no-startup-id source ~/.xinitrc
2. I believe it depends on the application. On the xfce4 desktop, it might be shift+click, not sure anymore. I don't remember how to do it nemo/nautilus, maybe I didn't find a way and just used Alt to open the menu items. In Firefox, it'll be long press. For Firefox, you'll have to enable touch scrolling too by the way, see here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/8539.../994483#994483

Mouse/cursor support is not a requirement, but works really well if you intend to use a USB or BT mouse at some point, see instructions temporarily written here: https://github.com/sailfish-on-fxtec...ment-680788660

3. I just scratched the surface for Onboard to get a working solution for touch-only devices, and it turned out to work okay, but I didn't try auto-show. You can always autostart Onboard and select the option to show an button on screen (in addition to the system tray icon), that's not automatic but worked very well for me. The issue, if confirmed, would not be specific to LXC though I think, try to check if someone else has had this issue on superuser/askubuntu/stackoverflow?

I think someone else reported getting an empty file with dconf dump. Can you install the dconf editor GUI and browse manually to make sure the path to Onboard settings is correct? It works for me with the path I posted here, but I'm on Sid, so maybe there are differences.

4. What does pavucontrol show? And pactl list sinks? Have you tried to reboot, just in case?

Sorry I can't help with more accurate answers. I wanted to put some info in the wiki but I pushed it back as much as I could, still today, I'm very bad at finding the motivation to write proper definitive documentation. :< Hopefully this topic will help gather some information already, that can then just be summarized in the wiki. But we are still in a testing phase with few users, it would be good to have a better idea of what works and doesn't work on various devices. Also, Illyria has been busy with other exciting projects lately.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2020-08-31 at 15:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malibu1106 View Post
1 : Is there some tricks about enlarging the UI to be more easy to use with fingers ?
2 : How to right click ? I didn't installed mouse/cursor support, is this related ?
3 : Auto-show when editing text doesn't work with Onboard.
And i tried to export and edit with dconf but i get an empty file.
4 : I have no sound. Tried to install pavucontrol but already installed. Have someone an idea ?

Thanks a lot.
1. If you install the mouse support it is easier to set up. However, you can do it with your fingers too. Go to "Start menu" then "Settings" then:
  • "Appearance" - under "Fonts" set the font size (for me: Default font: 26, Default Monospace font: 18
  • "Desktop" - under "Icons" set the icon size (for me File/launcher icons: 76)
  • "File manager preferences" - under "Side Pane" set the icon size within the file manager (for me both icon size: 64px)
  • "Onboard preferences" - set the preferred onboard style, layout and other stuff
  • "Panel" - under "Display" set the size of the panels (for me "Panel1 aka. Start menu" Row size: 76, "Panel2 aka Docker" Row size: 128) - Under "Items" you can set what apps/elements you would like to see on the panel.
  • "Window manager" - under "Style" set the "Title font" (for me is 26)
Some pictures:
Desktop & keyboard
Telegram Web
Starting Windows XP

I only use the mouse to right-click. I recommend that as that is consistent everywhere, otherwise this might not be available in apps.

Try to play with the "Onboard preferences". For me, it works, however, I think it required to start the onboard first. (When I start it doesn't appear straight away, but when I go into an input field, it appears automatically. You can start automatically in "Settings"/"Session and startup"/"Application startup"

Yep. if you managed to get sound, please let me know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
What I spotted on my XA2. If I run the container, the incoming calls do not have sound. I have missed a few calls because it didn't ring because the LXC was running.
Has anyone experienced this?

Not at all, but my containers were installed months ago and I don't remember if I had to do anything to fix sound. However, while I don't remember if sound was working right away in LXC, I'm almost positive that sound on the SFOS side was not broken.

Have you tried toying around with Audio Output Chooser? I don't believe this would solve your issues, but it is worth investigating.

On the Proš, Pavucontrol shows I'm using "Droid sink deep_buffer" in the "Playback device" tab. In the "Output devices" tab, I have "Droid sink primary_output" and "Droid sink deep_buffer", both with "Port: Output to speaker (plugged in)".

1. If you install the mouse support it is easier to set up. However, you can do it with your fingers too. Go to "Start menu" then "Settings" then:

"Appearance" - under "Fonts" set the font size (for me: Default font: 26, Default Monospace font: 18
"Desktop" - under "Icons" set the icon size (for me File/launcher icons: 76)
"File manager preferences" - under "Side Pane" set the icon size within the file manager (for me both icon size: 64px)
"Onboard preferences" - set the preferred onboard style, layout and other stuff
"Panel" - under "Display" set the size of the panels (for me "Panel1 aka. Start menu" Row size: 76, "Panel2 aka Docker" Row size: 128) - Under "Items" you can set what apps/elements you would like to see on the panel.
"Window manager" - under "Style" set the "Title font" (for me is 26)
Beware that if you find the UI scaling setting (but I think it may not be available in xfce4 shipped with Buster, as said above), and set it to something too large, it won't be able to display the bottom of the windows, including that one. That means you cannot change this setting back to another value to fix it.

Don't reinstall though, there are workarounds: you may be able to scroll down this window if you use an external mouse (with the instructions above), or you can find a window called "Xsettings" (if I remember correctly, as I don't use xfce4 anymore) in Menu > Settings, and it should list all settings including the UI scaling at the bottom, with a handy scroll bar on the right. There is also a configuration file somewhere in /home/user/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml or /home/user/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfwm4.xml.

In the xsettings.xml fle, the UI scaling setting is the following by the way, so maybe you could try adding it and change the value even if your version of xfce4 doesn't offer it in the GUI, never know:

Code:
<property name="Gdk" type="empty">
  <property name="WindowScalingFactor" type="int" value="1">
</property>
Try to play with the "Onboard preferences". For me, it works, however, I think it required to start the onboard first. (When I start it doesn't appear straight away, but when I go into an input field, it appears automatically. You can start automatically in "Settings"/"Session and startup"/"Application startup"
Yes that makes sense, I think Onboard has to be autostarted in any case. Maybe just add its .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2020-09-02 at 08:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by edp17 View Post
If the GUI doesn't work (for some unofficial ports, this is the case), this can be done manually from a command line. Here are the steps: sudo lxc-create -t sfos-download -n <container-name> sudo lxc-start -n <container-name> Manually change the the /usr/share/sailfish-containers/guest to /usr/share/harbour-containers/scripts/guest in the /var/lib/lxc/< container name >/config sudo lxc-attach -n <container-name> then within the container: /mnt/guest/setup_desktop.sh /mnt/guest/setups/debian.sh Start 2! command lines and in one of them issue this as nemo: /usr/bin/qxdisplay --wayland-socket-name "../../display/wayland-container-0" (or to start with mouse cursor support use this: /usr/bin/qxcompositor -o portrait --wayland-socket-name "../../display/wayland-container-0") In the other command-line attach the container, then: /mnt/guest/start_desktop 0 Done.
I'm using XZ2c port. Everything working fine with installation and gui, as well as containers creation, x-session setup, attach, etc. When I tap 'start x-session', though, I get a perpetual "Waiting for x-window" message. When I try to do it manually, as quoted above, the output of the last command, run inside of attached, (which Ithink has a typo in your post - should be '/mnt/guest/start_desktop.sh 0', right?), is shown in tje screenshot ...
any ideas? Thanks
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by levone1 View Post
I'm using XZ2c port. Everything working fine with installation and gui, as well as containers creation, x-session setup, attach, etc. When I tap 'start x-session', though, I get a perpetual "Waiting for x-window" message. When I try to do it manually, as quoted above, the output of the last command, run inside of attached, (which Ithink has a typo in your post - should be '/mnt/guest/start_desktop.sh 0', right?), is shown in tje screenshot ...
any ideas? Thanks
Yes, you were right there was a typo in the command. I have fixed that. Thanks, for the heads up.

When you start manually, first you need to start the container, then you need to enter into it in a command line:
Code:
sudo lxc-attach -n <container_name>
then within there run the command:
Code:
/mnt/guest/start_desktop.sh 0
or

with one command:
Code:
sudo lxc-attach -n <container_name> -- /mnt/guest/start_desktop.sh 0 &
Please check the scripts (Some useful scripts: section) that I provided for manual start from the command line.
Those scripts do start the container if they are not running then issuing the command above to start the desktop.
When you see the message "Waiting for x-window" wait for a while, then after a while, your desktop will appear. For me, I need to wait for around a half or a minute to get the desktop screen.

Yes, you were right there was a typo in the command. I have fixed that. Thanks, for the heads up.

When you start manually, first you need to start the container, then you need to enter into it in a command line:
Code:
Code:
or

with one command:
Code:
Please check the scripts (Some useful scripts: section) that I provided for manual start from the command line.
Those scripts do start the container if they are not running then issuing the command above to start the desktop.
When you see the message "Waiting for x-window" wait for a while, then after a while, your desktop will appear. For me, I need to wait for around a half or a minute to get the desktop screen.
I tried again, as you said, with the same result. As I said, starting the container, and attaching to gain shell, as well as every other function I've tried, works fine from the gui. Container starts, shows 'running', and root@Linux shell appears when tapping "attach", with full fs intact. But attempting to open x-session shows, "...xwayland not found". I've waited for up to 10 mins...
Thanks
Attached Images

Code:
Code:
or

with one command:
Code:
(edit - nevermind this post - I realized the problem... I'm starting over with a new container now...)

Tags
application, development, linux