Active Topics

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Proporta has a USB power solution that I thought about getting, but I haven't actually tried it.

Currently, I use a wall plug to USB adaptor (like the one in the original post) to a 4 port USB mini-hub, to a USB charging cable I got through cellphoneshop.com ... and then I have another USB charging cable for my samsung phone. I have one of these set ups in my room, in my car (car charger to USB instead of wall charger), home office and work office (plugged into my desktop macs instead of the wall charger).

So I can basically charge all of my devices anywhere I am, without having multiple transformers going (just the 1 for the wall charger). I can also add 2 more devices without having to buy anything other than cables.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
I just saw the canadian tire sale flyer too. A great deal on that charger! The hgher capacity noma units they carry use custom batteries, not AA's. If you want higher capacity, buy the $15 unit, and swap the included batteries with higher capacity ones. More flexibility...
Not only that, the batteries that come with the unit are crap anyway, only 1200 mAh and one of my four had an internal short in it right out of the box. Looking back in this thread I suspect that this is not uncommon.

I think the thing is worth the $15 (just) for the case and the various adapters that come with it, but toss the batteries and use a real charger whenever you can. Stick in some charged 2500 mAh batteries or some alkalines and it seems to work quite nicely.

do the adapters with the noma unit just connect onto the usb cable? ie can they be also used on a standard usb cable conneccted to a pc to charge the n800? be a cheap and easy to find solution if so forr us canucks.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by dont View Post
Not only that, the batteries that come with the unit are crap anyway, only 1200 mAh and one of my four had an internal short in it right out of the box. Looking back in this thread I suspect that this is not uncommon.

I think the thing is worth the $15 (just) for the case and the various adapters that come with it, but toss the batteries and use a real charger whenever you can. Stick in some charged 2500 mAh batteries or some alkalines and it seems to work quite nicely.

Agreed I exchanged mine a couple of times to get one that wasn't flakey.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by s2k View Post
do the adapters with the noma unit just connect onto the usb cable? ie can they be also used on a standard usb cable conneccted to a pc to charge the n800? be a cheap and easy to find solution if so forr us canucks.
The adapters plug onto one end of a usb cable via a round connector. So, with the included usb cable and 2mm nokia plug, it can connect to a pc for charging, or a usb wall wart.

Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
The adapters plug onto one end of a usb cable via a round connector. So, with the included usb cable and 2mm nokia plug, it can connect to a pc for charging, or a usb wall wart.
Excellent thanks, for $15 seems like a good deal since i can pick it up locally then.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Anybody who bought the Canadian Tire 'Noma' charger/battery backup might want to head over to Princess Auto and buy the 'Targus' mini 4-port USB hub that is on sale for less than $10. Now add the OTG adapter (http://internettablettalk.com/forums...82&postcount=6) that Jolouis is proposing to build and you have a very flexible system.

Four host ports for your N800, with/without auxiliary power where the auxiliary power can be portable battery power(4xAAs), AC through the charger that came with the Noma unit or or even through a separate PC USB port.

Last edited by dont; 2008-01-26 at 00:58.

Hey every one. So I have the Tekkon mp1800 and I noticed somthing odd when I just used the USB cable to charge my n800 for my PC after abit the battery was just dead. Like it was unable to charge form the USB cable with 2mm adapter tip, Not the unit was off and just the charge screen was on then while i was watching some TopGear I noticed the NOKIA start screen come up and then the unit just shut off. I pluged it in to the standered charger and it charged up fine. And I can use the USB charge cable to power and charge my BlackBerry Curve (8330) just fine so not a defective cable. But Has any one else ran in to trubble charging with "non Nokia" chargers?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Pity (for an european like me) that the noma charger is only available in Canada, the tekkeon is available through expansys but it's (relatively much) more expensive. Anybody knows the oem and/or an alternative brand available in europe? (at canadian prices )
Note that the only AA usb charger I could find at dealextreme (this one), can only supply 450mA, and I don't think that's enough to charge the tablet (the tekkeon/noma is rated at 800mA)

You know, this MAY be a stupid question. But, it could possibly be a good idea also: Assuming the voltage/current rating of a typical mini USB charger is about the same as the 2mm charger (say 5V at 500mA, more or less), why could someone not just solder a jumper from the N800's mini-USB to the appropriate pin at the 2mm jack (therefore drawing the charging voltage from the USB) making the device chargable from the USB? I know everyone would prefer this; in fact, I would think someone would have already done it. Has anyone?