Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm bummed and surprised at these reports. I keep pushing my N800s and I don't experience these issues. it's like the 770 web thing all over again.

What am I doing "wrong"? :/

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
N800 First 22 days , a recap

First Time DAY 7
I installed the BT plugin, rebooted. At his point it went into a reboot loop. I thought no big deal I will reflash. Using windows reflashed. Boots 3 secs then dies

Second Time DAY 21
built kernel modules, went great. built new kernel. flashed new kernel. Boots 3 secs then dies. I thought no big deal I will reflash original kernel. unpacked original kernel from image using flash tool. flashed the original kernel back. Boots 3 sec then dies.

Third Time DAY 22
loaded some kernel modules usbcore and ohci-hcd. No problems, crashed within 2 minutes, screen lost power turned black. Turned back on, boots 3 secs then dies.

The first time this happend to me, I thought it was a fluke and after trying to reflash several times, I exchanged. The second time it happend I was on Day 21 of my 21 day return policy, so after spending several hours trying linux and windows flashers and different combination of options, I returned it and got a new one again with new 21 day return policy. That was yesterday, after about 30 hours I totaled it again. I had plenty of return time left so I figured start messing with it. I tried all the same things again, nothing worked. When it did work I had no SD cards (not sure if this matters, but they were out) in and it was the windows flasher (not sure that this matter either. No R&D options set, or anything else. I guarantee this will happen again to me, I hope I can or someone can, or nokia will quickly come up with a sequence of events or new flashing tool to make this not an issue. It seems to be correctable, but I can not understand how the third time it happened to me. The first two times it happened it failed to boot only after using the flasher, the third time, it failed for unknown reasons, I had loaded those kernel modules previously and since so it has nothing to do with them. IF it just crashed and failed to boot, this might seem to indicate an actual harware problem, though it seems unlikely.

Perhaps this will help Textrat figure out what hes doing wrong

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Keep an eye on bugs #957 and #999, and provide any further detail if possible. It would probably best to add extra detail in bug #957 as bug #999 is almost certainly a duplicate of #957.

I too had the problem of the infinite reboot.

I set up a linux partition on my HDD and installed linux (from being a windows user), and then used the Research and Dev flasher sudo ./flasher-3.0 -F RX-34_2007SE_2.2006.51-6_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin --enable-r-d --reboot

My Nokia N800 now works again!!!

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ New York City
Looked at the Nokia website and saw this:

Repair Status Results
The repair status of your phone is:
Upon inspection by the Nokia Authorized Service Center, your Nokia N800 device, serial number XXXXXXX, was determined to be out of warranty. Generally devices are deemed out of warranty due to either liquid/physical damage or the warranty coverage time period has expired. Please contact the Nokia Authorized Service Center below to receive an out of warranty repair quote or to have your unrepaired phone returned to you.

Palco Customer Service:

Repair History:
Status Date Status
02/02/2007 Device is Out of Warranty
02/02/2007 Received
This information is provided as a courtesy. All information is provided "as is". It may not reflect the most current status of your repair.

Time to call Nokia and see what is up.

Adam in NYC

Looked up the ESN and got this on Nokia's website.

Warranty Verification Results
The status of the warranty on your Nokia device is:

Your device, serial number XXXXXXXX, appears to be within the initial warranty period. This warranty verification covers the following 10 days. If you send your device in for repair after 10 days, please include a copy of the proof of purchase with your device to confirm that your unit is within the warranty period.

Please visit our Warranty section or reference your purchase documentation for detailed information about your phone's limited warranty. For answers to frequently asked questions, visit our Warranty/Repair FAQs.

Please note that liquid and physical damage are not covered by the warranty. If the out of warranty device is "repairable", you will be contacted by the Nokia Authorized Service Center with a repair quote before the repair can begin. Prices vary by product and the nature of the repair. If the device is deemed "unrepairable" it will be returned to you without prior notification. Please note that the cost of return shipping and handling for out of warranty repair is the responsibility of the customer. Generally, the cost of return shipping and handling will not exceed $15.00. More information about out of warranty repair.

Talked to the Nokia rep on the line. Gotta wait 72 hours. It is Friday. Gotta get back to them on Wednesday.

Adam in NYC

Last edited by Adam in NYC; 2007-02-09 at 14:23.

Best of luck Adam!

See bug #957 for details as to why enabling R&D mode may result in a sucessful boot:

There's a potential reason found for this. In the case there have been earlier >=10 consecutive reboots, the device doesn't clear the reboot count ever and thinks that an error has occured too often in a row. As a result it always powers the device off.

If this is the cause of the bug, enabling the R&D mode (where this check is
not done) with flasher should allow the device to boot up completely.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ New York City
If enabling R&D mode results in a successful boot, why keep off the watchdog monitor? It is there for a reason, no. It is there so if there is a lockup, the Nokia will reboot.

What happens if there is a segfault and the watchdog is off? This is not a regular PC and I don't see a hardware reset nor a control-alt-delete would resolve things.

I would rather work with a safety net than have access to the N800 and then some buggy code gives it the final bork.

In the line of work I'm in, I am always without a safety net. Don't want it off on my Nokias. Let my Nokia reboot a dozen times until I get a stable screen. As for my N800, I am thinking of writing it off and taking the brick to the Nokia store if the depot does not want to repair it.

Sigh.

Last edited by Adam in NYC; 2007-02-09 at 14:49.

Originally Posted by Adam in NYC View Post
If enabling R&D mode results in a successful boot, why keep off the watchdog monitor? It is there for a reason, no. It is there so if there is a lockup, the Nokia will reboot.

What happens if there is a segfault and the watchdog is off? This is not a regular PC and I don't see a hardware reset nor a control-alt-delete would resolve things.
I imagine you can disable R&D mode once you have successfully booted and the reboot count has been reset to zero.

If you were to disable the lifeguard reset the worst thing that can happen is the device hangs instead of rebooting - if it hangs you just pull the battery out for a second and reinsert. If it is indeed necessary to disable the lifeguard reset to resolve the reboot issue, the inconvenience of having to pull the battery surely outweighs the inconvenience you would experience from a reboot loop.

I would rather work with a safety net than have access to the N800 and then some buggy code gives it the final bork.
Pulling the battery is the ultimate three-fingered-salute, essentially the same as power cycling a PC which I've had to do from time to time in Windows when it locks solid and no longer responds to the keyboard/mouse.

on my Nokias. Let my Nokia reboot a dozen times until I get a stable screen. As for my N800, I am thinking of writing it off and taking the brick to the Nokia store if the depot does not want to repair it.
Fair enough.

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
OK, it happened to me, too :-(: My N800 (well, my wife's one at this point , and this forum's people should know why this statement) woke me up in the middle of the night while going in a reboot loop.

No reason, no problem, no previous advices, simply reboot loop!

At the end, everything went fine thanx to the --set-rd-flag/--disable-rd-mode procedure, and now I'm going back to sleep rather peaceful.
The matter is that I have nothing more to add to the bug filed in bugzilla #957, and I didn't think just and only to --set-rd-flag before trying turning on the machine.
I thought that switch on and off the flags should have been enough to reset the consecutive-resets counter as mr. Taaminen explained, but I didn't try to boot with the RD mode on.
What I can say is that the procedure

Code:
flasher 3.0 --set-rd-flag=no-lifeguard-reset
flasher 3.0 --disable-rd-mode
boot
didn't ended in a succesful boot.

So i flashed the device following exactly the instructions found here and on the list - i.e.

Code:
flasher-3.0 --set-rd-flag=no-lifeguard-reset -F RX-34_2007SE_2.2006.51-6_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
and the device booted on its second try.

After that I disabled the RD mode with
Code:
flasher3.0 --disable-rd-mode
and rebooted with
Code:
flasher3.0 -R
before disconneting the usb cable, and now it seems everything works fine

Just for the sake of specifying, the device wasn't too hacked: xterm, ssh, horizon and vnc, nothing else (didn't I say that it's my wife's device ?.....)

Conclusions:
  • it's a pity that such a device could encounter with such troubles. Why, after all the discussion we had about that and the reason for a whole flash instead a step by step update in case of upgrading of the OS, a software problem couldn't be resolved with a simple flash but needed some tricks? Nokia couldn't expect the joe user to try everything, the flash is the simplest and safest way to repair every software problem. Also members of service center could not be able to repair such a problem and could be tempted to send the device to Nokia main centers, all in all probably they are not members of ITT forum nor Maemo lists
  • thanx to everybody who pointed me towards the right direction to unbrick the device.
  • I am still in love with these devices, the 770 is the first palm that works for me for more than two months without ending up sinking in some drawer, but... definitely, these problems should not happen! (oh, btw never had this kind of problem with my 770, only a broken display fortunately covered by warranty)

Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
So i flashed the device following exactly the instructions found here and on the list - i.e.

Code:
flasher-3.0 --set-rd-flag=no-lifeguard-reset -F RX-34_2007SE_2.2006.51-6_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
and the device booted on its second try.
According to this post in the Maemo newsgroup, N800 (not sure about 770) devices no longer boot fully after being flashed if the USB cable is still connected. This is so that the user can continue to adjust flasher flags, however for most ordinary users this behaviour is inappropriate as such users won't continue tweaking flags. Unless the user is expecting the device to return to flasher mode it appears as though the device has hung on the first boot.

A warning in the flasher might be a good idea, Nokia! And perhaps add a switch to control the reboot behaviour - by default the device should reboot fully, with a switch to reboot in flasher mode as a convenience to the user. No way should developer oriented convenience behaviour be the default on a consumer device!