Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Aynall Clenliniss View Post
Just to update - I sent the phone back to Nokia UK and it was returned fully repaired exactly one week later. Screen is mine, but the internals are new (different IMEI number now). Can't tell if the keyboard was replaced (as I rarely use it anyway).

Used the NokiaCare home collection and delivery service and made a point of stressing in my email to them that this was a known problem with this phone - used the phrase "Inherent design fault known about by Nokia" IIRC. And it certainly seemed to work.

Well chuffed!
Nice to see at least the UK is doing things properly regarding the USB design fault by replacing the unit with no sad stories.

The rest of the world should take heed of how the UK deals with this problem so please keep at them and remind them of this very thread.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gopinathloganthan View Post
Hi i am gopinath using N900 the micro usb popped out but the nokia care says its a hw issue which cannot be repaired or replaced
They are misinforming you. Point them to this thread. It's a Nokia-caused defect and Care has been instructed to repair devices under warranty.

Be persistent!

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
hmm... my usb port got broken too.... i ve soldered it back in ... but still no charging...

i ve tested out (with a cut usb cable) that i have connection from cable -> over the usbport -> to the PCB...

used testpoints:

GND -> everywere
+5v - > a resistor next to the usb port
d+ -> there are 2 tespoints next to the camera
d- -> same as above.

and ... when i take out the battery and put it back in the n900 starts...

btw.. there are no shortcuts

19 Lockerz.com Invites Left -- PM me if you need one...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...enixsiggi1.gif @ mods plz allow me that pic....

The Following User Says Thank You to ~phoenix~ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
are there fuses for the 5v wire?? i tried to fix my n900 by myself an had everything soldered together but usb was not regognised.... BUT

when i use a cutoff usb cable and short the Data wires it boots when i put in a battery ... that means the data pins are correct soldered ...

but i have connection with gnd and +5v (from cut off usb cable to testpoints on the pcb) too.

that means:

the usb is soldered it correctly.

data wires are regognised

issue could be an fuse...

i never saw an fused gnd

so it must be a fuse somewhere on +5v...
or an broken USB cotroller.

someone know where the fuses are??
how can i test the usb controller??

19 Lockerz.com Invites Left -- PM me if you need one...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...enixsiggi1.gif @ mods plz allow me that pic....

had a bit of a scare tonight as my main nokia charger stopped charging the phone, my usb has been a tad loose as of late and my instant thoughts where oh god its broken, then to be confused with why my phone to pc cable was charging the phone,
only to then test with a second old nokia charger with usb attachment did the phone charge, so it seems its the nokia charger thats stopped working not the phone, thank god!!

gav

I'm on my 2nd N900 after a little over a year. It seems the USB on this phone is failing too. My warranty for the first phone expired in March 2011. Should the warranty for the replacement phone expire 90 days after receiving it in the mail or 90 days after the original warranty of the first phone (march)?

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Lately my phone has been not charging unless I unplug/plugin the cable a few times. I dont know if its software or if its becoming loose.

Is it worth disassembling it and putting in some superglue for futureproofing?

yep now its not charging at all, my thoughts where right, lets go find a screw driver
yep its totally disconnected from the phone now ~.~

gav

Last edited by shaddam; 2011-05-03 at 16:07.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Mine still firmly attached, after opening it up. Wondering if I should hotglue it anyway.

Sorry if what i am about to say has been covered before, with over 200 pages of thread to read through it probably has i am bound to have missed it. Can anyone here tell me if they have returned theirs to CarPhone Warehouse only to be fobbed off with some crap about it being caused by water damage? I ask because with my one, although it didn't come right out the USB socket had moved off the board, looking at it straight it is raised at one end and it would no longer charge or do data transfer (so unable to turn it on to do a back up). So i took it back to CPW and 2 weeks later some snotty cow at the desk tells me 'sorry sir, nuffink we can do about it, engineer says it's water damage not covered under warranty .. you should have got it insured' as i speak mine is making its way back to Nokia repair, fortunately when typing in the IMEI number Nokia says it's still within warranty

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty