Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Why was this thread moved from the only forum where it's really topical (the PalmOS forum)?
I thought it had been moved to *this* forum, although it did seem odd the way it is listed in the index.

Originally Posted by burmashave View Post
I thought it had been moved to *this* forum, although it did seem odd the way it is listed in the index.
Technically this is the News forum under General Discussions. It really should be filed in the Palm forum with a link to it from News.

For what it is worth I do not see any performance difference between beta 2 and beta 3. The apps I could not run before I still can not run. It is still unstable and wipes clean its installed database on occasion, so make sure you do backup .gvm.

Last edited by Machster; 2008-12-01 at 01:15.

I just download the Garnet-vm_1.0.2b-ITOS2008.deb. When I try to install it, it fail to install with error missing packages: libfreetype6 (v2.3.5), libglib2.0-0 (v2.12.12-1oss10), libhildonfm2 (v1.2.0.5) and libosso1 (v2.1.6). I have been installin Garnet-vm through the release in Apil, 2008 (not sure what version that is) without problem.
1. So how do I get these packages? I am using N800. I see many of you have
been installing the new verison without problem. Please help me get the new Garnet-VM installed.
2. By the way, do I have to uninstall the version I have?
3. How do I backup what I have in garnet before I install?
Thank.

How? Does my post on the previous page answer?

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. Do I have to upgrade my version of OS2008?

How? Does my post on the previous page answer?
Sorry for skipping the answer. The question mentioned missing library and I did not think that is the same as missing packages. I do not know anything about linux codes. When I see all the coding in the answer, it scare me off. Please be patient with me.

So how do I do with you instruction? I know I have to start the xterm. Do I have to type anything else? Go to a specific place before I enter the command?

Also, do I uninstall the previous veriosn before I enter the command.

Do I backup everything first?

Talladur, I tried to PM you but couldn't, perhaps because you're a new member. PM me about the Garnet Beta 2 deb file.
Hi burmashave,

I would like to PM, but the PM option seems not to be available for your user. I just enabled PM, it should work this way now.

Thanks a lot,

Talladur

Originally Posted by talladur View Post
Hi burmashave,

I would like to PM, but the PM option seems not to be available for your user. I just enabled PM, it should work this way now.

Thanks a lot,

Talladur
Good grief. I have no idea how the private messaging here works. I still cannot PM you, and my profile had already been set to receive PM's. Here's the best I can do:

[edit: link removed]

Repost when you've downloaded it so I can pull it off my server. By the way, the file is the beta 2 deb, although the version number is 1.0.1b.

Last edited by burmashave; 2008-12-03 at 14:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to burmashave For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NCC1701-k View Post
Sorry for skipping the answer. The question mentioned missing library and I did not think that is the same as missing packages. I do not know anything about linux codes. When I see all the coding in the answer, it scare me off. Please be patient with me.

So how do I do with you instruction? I know I have to start the xterm. Do I have to type anything else? Go to a specific place before I enter the command?

Also, do I uninstall the previous veriosn before I enter the command.

Do I backup everything first?
I think the best way for you to proceed would be to upgrade your installation to Diablo. That should take care of the dependency issues. There are a few threads about how to upgrade, but of course, make sure you back everything up first.

You could do what I did, but I wouldn't recommend that someone very new to Linux. Essentially, I forced the installer to ignore dependencies that had been specified by the package maintainers (in this case Access). In general, this is not a good idea; however, I am comfortable with it because I understand the risk I am taking, and I feel confident I can fix something if it breaks. What I did is not necessarily safe.

Edit: Consider as well that the benefits of upgrading to beta 3 are minimal compared to the effort you would be expending. It may be best to simply skip the update.

Last edited by burmashave; 2008-12-02 at 01:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to burmashave For This Useful Post:
Thank for your advice.
I guess I will wait before upgrade. At least until I know all about diablo or until the redeposit get update with new verisons.

Tags
garnet, palm