Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
>>install opera mini and open a gazzilion of tabs super smooth and fast !<<

Forgot I had that too. Second site I tried would not load (www.talkingpointsmemo.com). Maybe there is a more recent version, but nothing shows up as an update.
Seriously ?? Check again mate and opera 6x work fine just dont use those rubbish 4x series they are a diffrent leauge lol

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I don't know what you understand under web browsing but my N900 has never been smoother.
Many sites seem to be less cluttered than in 2009-2010 (Steam, DP Review, etc..) and to be honest I adjusted my "requirement" that the device should do flash in browser.
I would be happy to torture test my device with your favorite websites and post a video on how it goes for your reference.
Waiting your input..
Not necessary. I have had an N900 a long time. I can see for myself. Unless you've done some serious tweaking I doubt it's much different than mine. I was just seriously surprised at how frustrating it is to browse. I think I got my answer.
For the record: I have a Blackberry10 device, and it does Flash in the browser.
I loved the N900, and as I said still use it often. Just not for browsing. I stopped using the N9 because the browser performance was so poor. The N900 is just plain worse.
I am not a troll. I am not trying to stir something up. I was just kind of surprised. I truly wished there was a new browser I had not encountered. If there were I could still see using it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Not necessary. I have had an N900 a long time. I can see for myself..
I am not a troll. I am not trying to stir something up. I was just kind of surprised. I truly wished there was a new browser I had not encountered. If there were I could still see using it.
in any case, you asked why people are still using it as a daily.

I for one am ready to answer that question, but if you are not ready to establish benchmark criteria, so be it and all this remains bar talk..

My short answer: if it wasn't for the N900 I would not bother to struggle typing on this forum from where I am right now. Blackberry may well be an exception being less tiresome..

does anybody have the Fennec specially compiled for Thumb (not the one in repos) Op had posted a link but it's dead now.

thanks in advance!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Second site I tried would not load (www.talkingpointsmemo.com).
OK, no Opera here but I am reading it in MicroB right now:

Name:  Screenshot-20141120-192749.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  24.4 KB

Sure it's not as quick as on some more "modern" phones but the N900 with MicroB wins on three big points as far as I am concerned:
  1. The fact that most web sites do not recognize it as a mobile browser and let me see a proper version of those web sites;
  2. The ability to select and copy text;
  3. The hardware keyboard for proper typing of responses like this one.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
OK, no Opera here but I am reading it in MicroB right now:
Exactly.

But I need to admit that ordering Jolla tablet on indiegogo was not possible with N900 (but was on N9 with mobile version of that bloated site).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sure it's not as quick as on some more "modern" phones but the N900 with MicroB wins on three big points as far as I am concerned:
  1. The fact that most web sites do not recognize it as a mobile browser and let me see a proper version of those web sites;
  2. The ability to select and copy text;
  3. The hardware keyboard for proper typing of responses like this one.
I can do all that with great speed and a hi-res screen, "Desktop mode" setting in the browser, Flash, 3gigs of RAM,...and I took the pic linked below with my real camera, read the SD card via the BlackBerry USB OTG.
Yes, I wish it were more open and customizable in appearance. And I have ongoing questions about BlackBerry's security. But it does it all very well.

https://db.tt/y55Y4Hol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
ok lancewex, you have the greatest blackberry there.
its a nice enough device and I would probable trade one of my N900's for it if you were to propose such..

But it still doesn't explain why you "don't understand why" people are still using the N900 as primary and feel enriched and empowered by doing so.

typed on my N900 with only 256RAM (damn Nokia step 4 out of 5,the aarghogance!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
But it still doesn't explain why you "don't understand why" people are still using the N900 as primary and feel enriched and empowered by doing so.
I didn't say all that. Enriched and empowered? Ok.
I wasn't boasting about the BlackBerry. I was countering the idea that only the N900 can do those things. If you must use a terminal, or that rf transmitter provides an essential function for you, then I get it. There are other reasons too, I know. But the browsing experience...it's very hard for me to understand. I expressed it. Don't take it personally as you seem to be.

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
I didn't say all that. Enriched and empowered? Ok.
I wasn't boasting about the BlackBerry. I was countering the idea that only the N900 can do those things. If you must use a terminal, or that rf transmitter provides an essential function for you, then I get it. There are other reasons too, I know. But the browsing experience...it's very hard for me to understand. I expressed it. Don't take it personally as you seem to be.
I just want to play man, I show jou mine if you show me yours.

I am genuinly interested in what you call 'browsing' .. Inputting in heavy scripted websites? edit: over 20 web windows here.

If my N900 had 3GB of RAM and a dual core CPU, my desktop would always look like this...

Name:  2014-11-20-8082.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  28.4 KB

But even now I can post and upload this pic sent over BT from my 808.

all wbsites are readily browsable, music on background in stock player...doesn t take a lifetime

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Indonesia
I don't know how anyone can still use this phone as their primary. I still use it daily as a media player. But I just tried some web browsing (after not doing so for a long time) and it was so painful. I tried Opera, Fennec, and the stock browser and none could deal with the IndieGogo Jolla page. I tried several other sites on each browser. I won't try that again. So I am seriously asking: do those that use the N900 daily just not web browse? Or is this just a case where you don't know what you are missing so it seems ok? Because unless a fresh browser comes along I'll never do that again. Life is too short.
i still use n900 stock browser daily. sure...after i remove adblock, and hidden user agent microb run fast and smooth.
Plus....there is yappari, facebook chat, SIP service, skype and YM still working.
and FB client (sociality) rose from the grave all of these enough for me and satisfy me.

eh.. almost forgetting. email client "modest" work well, cute tube work awesome and the new ones cuteradio that i use it daily

The Following User Says Thank You to supergaban For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900