Notices

Any news / date of a v10 update ?

This new v10 needs a lot of processing power and drains the battery really fast.
When in use the drive process is at 75% cpu most of the time!

I don't know if it is only in my system but using sygic v10 for an hour reduced my full charged battery to 50%.
With v9 i could use it for more than 3 hours.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Andrew_b View Post
Thanks for the tip Casper27. I hadn't looked at the new voice options in v10 and 'Simon' sounds okay compared to v9's 'Lucien' male voice. I'll give it a bash on my next trip, can't say I'll be switching to kilometres and metres though, and this may be the root of the problem. Fingers crossed it isn't.

Now, if only it didn't keep crashing every few miles. I nearly picked up a speed camera last night because I hadn't noticed it had frozen on the A30 back from Cornwall...
Most of the issues I reported earlier have settled down or went away completely when I disabled all sound from MM10's settings menu.
This is not an acceptable solution but it has made the ordeal more reliable.
Maemo made some changes to how it handles sound in PR1.2. This problem was also present in MM9 for me as well, after the PR1.2 upgrade.

Another thing I learned when pulling together custom POI's in MM9 was that this app will also freeze when bad poi data is used. The POI collection would install with no indications of a problem until a POI with bad info like a "&" or some other character in a label came into view on the screen them bam, the dang thing would lock up.

I'm also thinking if this problem persists in MM10 after disabling sound, The only POI's that were added by Sygic that are different in MM10 are the speed cameras.

If it seems to freeze up only when a certain speed camera icon is on the screen, try disabling the new speed camera feature. Like I tried to say earlier in this post, if the POI data is correct it won't freeze up. so even if you have seen and have used the speed cams in the past on other routes, it does not guarantee that all speed camera's in the data base are correct.

I'm just saying note all screen, hildon notifications, and sound events when a freeze up occurs and maybe Sygic can sort it all out.

BTW, I also know that this is no consolation for those who expected to have all of these features function for the price that they paid. However, some of us paid 3 times as much for WayFinder on the N800 & N810 and even with these features disabled, MM10 is easily twice as good.

Navicore, then Wayfinder after taking our money, was never heard from again. Sygic at least has maintained a presence on our forum and continues to provide upgrades and support... and that's a good thing.

I also think that because of Hildon's peculiarities (particularly how it handles events); TomTom, Navigon, Co-Pilot, or any other navigation software ported to the N900 would have some of these same difficulties. I doubt that they would have devoted as much time and energy as Sygic has, getting up close and personal with its users on this board.

But hey, I'm just some dude surfin' the intertubes and this is just my opinion.

It is also my opinion Sygic Support dudes, that time should be spent understanding what changes were made by Maemo with regard to sound in PR1.2. Also, your POI plug-in needs help as it should be able to ignore/handle bogus or malformed data without a crash.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-09-01 at 03:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

BTW, I also know that this is no consolation for those who expected to have all of these features function for the price that they paid. However, some of us paid 3 times as much for WayFinder on the N800 & N810 and even with these features disabled, MM10 is easily twice as good.
Oh I have to disagree with that. WayFinder Navigator worked very well either though they never released any new versions. Sygic is through at least 2 major and some minor upgrades and it still barely works. I can't even type in an address after I start it up as it eats anywhere between 90-98% of the CPU. Already had crash to desktop with it just sitting on my desk. It's pathetic.

Also, the new "full screen feature" would be great if you could still get access to your apps running in the background - music player aka. Although considering how much CPU it uses I guess it makes no difference.

I'm strongly considering swapping back to MM9 cause this is so frustrating or just using my good old N810 with WayFinder for navigation..

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by sacal View Post
Any news / date of a v10 update ?

This new v10 needs a lot of processing power and drains the battery really fast.
When in use the drive process is at 75% cpu most of the time!

I don't know if it is only in my system but using sygic v10 for an hour reduced my full charged battery to 50%.
With v9 i could use it for more than 3 hours.
Definitely a problem for me as well. Even when I have the N900 plugged into the car charger while driving with MM10 running, I unplug the phone when I reach my destination and have less of a charge than when I started!

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Urmond, Netherlands
Almost a month without a proper functioning navigator.

has anyone the catalogue/repo I can add to get updates. Just had to do a fresh install and now missing it.

Cheers

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by slewis1972 View Post
has anyone the catalogue/repo I can add to get updates. Just had to do a fresh install and now missing it.

Cheers
A Google Search ("sygic maemo update repository") found this...

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Urmond, Netherlands
The bugfix update is live, check your mail

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ south of France
Faster, but still no Traffic...

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Installed update and works fine, however one of the changes was :-
- Exit button moved to first menu page in order to make it easier to exit the app
But it has not moved and is still on the secod page