Active Topics

I'm trying to decide which N8x0 to buy. One of the main things I do with my current handheld is jot down quick notes, so one of my first concerns is the keyboard.

Overall, I like the N800 better ($200 cheaper, SD cards, and FM tuner win me over), but all the screenshots I've seen of the on-screen keyboard look like it takes up most of the screen, which I think I would find bothersome. I've seen a reference to a half-screen keyboard, but I can't find any screenshots of it. Also, I've seen some posts about it not working with some apps like Flash games and ScummVM.

The N810 also looks like a great device, but I'm not sure the hardware keyboard (which would presumably address my KB concerns) outweighs the things I like about the N800.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Anybody used both that could give me a comparison?

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpiritGeek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
I may be mistaken however I think that the 810 has all 3. I've only used the 810.
I use the "thumb" board while I'm walking.
I use the little "hunt an peck" with the stylus, especially if I have to enter numbers.
I slide out the keyboard fairly frequently if I need to do more than a few words.
I hook up my $30 BT iGo when it gets serious.
The thumb board is good but you have to shift for numbers etc. The h&p is very handy for phone numbers etc, (no double tap of the Fn key).
PLEASE use the Wiki

It's difficult. I bought the n800 just before the n810 came out. At first I thought I'd like the 810 better but I'm not sure anymore.

The n800:
is a lot cheaper
has 2 full sd slots
has fm radio
boots faster ?
has easy to reach buttons (no need to slide)

but:
no gps
no hardware kb

I think I'd still choose the n800 but I'm not sure. I do know I don't regret buying one.

but the n810 has a tricolorled