Active Topics

I've just been told by my Nokia Care Centre that because I've flashed my eMMC on third party software,my warranty is void. He said it should have been done by a Nokia 'Agent' using their software.

I wasn't aware that this was the case. I told them that my device had issues before the flash(random reboots,memory issues etc.) and it was almost definitely the hardware. But he told me that was highly unlikely and that "that's the problem with using 3rd party software" and it's probably the flasher program which caused the issues.

Is he right? Am I shafted?

Cheers

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Sounds like nonsense to me. Nokia themselves have made the flasher program and eMMC firmware image available, so there's no third-party software involved.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Reflash to stock before returning for repair.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
The eMMC only contains stock content, so I don't really see how they can tell that you've flashed it.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This is total nonsense. Overclocking is a different issue; this is completely standard.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I have never in my life heard so much bull, where the hell do Nokia get these staff from?????.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I have never in my life heard so much bull, where the hell do Nokia get these staff from?????.
Well, if you've worked in the business, you know. Some people are good at pretending they know things, but then when you put them with customers, it becomes obvious they don't.

Also, we don't have the video on this interaction. Words could have been used that implied that something totally different went on to the staff person. When you only have one side of the story, the story is inevitably distorted. Even when you have both sides of the story, you may never find out what really happened.

The good news is that this user has almost certainly NOT voided the warranty judging from what we know now.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by georgefjones View Post
But he told me that was highly unlikely and that "that's the problem with using 3rd party software" and it's probably the flasher program which caused the issues.
Sounds like the person in charge is being ignorant.

If i were you, i would show them the EULA on http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/d3.php to prove to them that the software that you were using was from Nokia and that you were authorized to use it.

And if they still reject you, i would complain directly to Nokia - and if that doesn't work, get the Better Business Bureau involved. Flashing nokia-provided firmware with nokia-provided tools shouldn't void your warranty period unless stated otherwise by Nokia.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
I called them back and explained how both the SW and the FW were both supplied by Nokia. They said that I should bring it in and they can confirm which SW I used before they send it off.

So,all being well, problem solved.

Thanks for the advice.