Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
While the indicators on the compass and the map scale are looking really nice visually (I like the bright colours), I completely failed to understand what they mean.
Reading todays many posts, I gather their purpose is just to indicate a "recording" state.

This is superfluous IMO, as the red LED on compact cassette recorders was necessary, because no other way of indicating the "recording" (in contrast to just "playing") state existed.
But this is different for a GUI application: As @Fellfrosch already pointed out in his "Edit", parts of the indicators itself can be coloured, e.g. the compass outline and the scale proper (with or without the text).

IMO this would be a better approach, not introducing an additional element in these indicators, which is hard to understand / may result in misinterpretations.

Last edited by olf; 2019-03-24 at 14:56.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by olf View Post
While the indicators on the compass and the map scale are looking really nice visually (I like the bright colours), I completely failed to understand what they mean.
No recording involved. /That was mentioned in Laufhelden discussion and to illustrate other meaning of the new "offline" profile icon. Not related to this specific lights/dots discussion we are in now.

To wrap up, the "lights" are ment to indicate that either "keep position centered" (center-button) or "follow direction" (compass) or "Auto zoom" (on the scale) are active.
EDIT, realizing now, what we are doing ist to move the silica dots that are now in the menu with each option are simply moved to the icons on map. genius. wow.

The compass and scale would have two states, press to activate -> indicated by light/dot. Press again to switch off.
The center button has 3 states, inactive -> press once to center once. Press again (or keep holding or both within given timeframe) to activate "keep centered" state indicated by light/dot. Press again to switch off/inactivate.

Last edited by mosen; 2019-03-24 at 15:15.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
No recording involved. [...]
Thanks for the info.
It was a bit hard to capture, as this thread is moving so fast at weekends.

To wrap up, the "lights" are ment to indicate that either "keep position centered" (center-button) or "follow direction" (compass) or "Auto zoom" (on the scale) are active.
EDIT, realizing now, what we are doing ist to move the silica dots that are now in the menu with each option are simply moved to the icons on map. genius. wow.

The compass and scale would have two states, press to activate -> indicated by light/dot. Press again to switch off.
The center button has 3 states, inactive -> press once to center once. Press again (or keep holding or both within given timeframe) to activate "keep centered" state indicated by light/dot. Press again to switch off/inactivate.
Still, this does not need a new indicator element, as these states can be expressed by colouring existing indicator elements.

Actually a similar, even more advanced visualization, which I perceived as extremely nice, is displayed in "Maps" when switching "driving / cycling / walking" mode, while navigating: No extra "rerouting" symbol, instead embedding this nicely into an existing indicator.

Last edited by olf; 2019-03-24 at 17:12.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Google Maps (both app and web) and Here are out of competition, because they presumably are primarily data collecting tools, while navigating / displaying maps is their secondary function.
In terms of functionality, user interaction and GUI elements, these are not out of competition. Lately, when working on search redesign, I started looking into what's done by those and by OSMAnd and Maps.me. In case of search functionality, HERE was most intuitive, but still I found some things confusing. In the end, we would benefit from looking into what is done around and, if found interesting and useful, mold it into our application.

Obviously, Google and HERE have access to some data that we don't (public transport & traffic, for example), but even these data can be found in part through some services.

There is also Apple Maps tutorial which is good watch to get a feeling of that application. At some point, we would probably have to make similar tutorials for different functions. For example, how many of you are aware that you can search for favorite coffee shop chain along your route when using Pure Maps/OSM Scout Server combo? Tutorials for such things maybe are great way of distributing info. Note that since we have Linux support, all tutorials can be done on desktop with video capture supported out of the box. But that will come later.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info.
It was a bit hard to capture, as this thread is moving so fast at weekends.

Still, this does not need a new indicator elements, as these states can be expressed by colouring existing indicator elements.

Actually a similar, even more advanced visualization, which I perceived as extremely nice, is displayed in "Maps" when switching "driving / cycling / walking" mode, while navigating: No extra "rerouting" symbol, instead embedding this nicely into an existing indicator.
Fortunately, not every weekend.

Coloring is possible. For arrow and center, we can just drop shadow around the button. That will work for light maps, for dark maps we can also make the buttons glow. Actually, same can be done for scale, I guess.

So, as an alternative to the dots, we can consider:

* shadow - normal state of the button. no shadow for scale
* glow - activated (autocenter, rotate, zoom). should we try green for glowing?

Alternative, is to use green (most popular) dots, as suggested earlier. I guess I can try with the glow and post screenshots. Then we can compare them with the posted dots and decide.

For any of the solutions, some teaching of the users will be added in terms of notification messages.

(By Maps you mean Maps.Me fork, right?).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
@Olf mentioned "Still, this does not need a new indicator elements, as these states can be expressed by colouring existing indicator elements."

Well, we have non and could easily introduce the light thingy for on-map usage as they look kind of cool.

Another way to indicate could be to color the symbols as you said but that would mean changing the compass color which i would not want honestly. Also i am already so much satisfied with the dots i will not invest more time. Someone else?

Speaking of, i tried changing shadows into glow and recolor the circles and was not impressed because the overall look is altered to much and it would not be consitant with the scale-button imo. But i am always in for a pleasent surprise!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2016 @ Yekaterinbourg, Russia
never gonna give you up, never gonna let you doown.
(@XOleg, do not post those video again. pleeease.)
@mosen, I'm sorry. I just read this article, I didn't watch the video.

I vote for green, red it's "danger", "attention"...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
Green dots it is, for now at least. Glow is a bit aggressive on buttons and scalebar (that can be probably fixed/calibrated). We can test later, if dots are deemed bad, whether glow + scalebar color change would do.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
[...]
(By Maps you mean Maps.Me fork, right?).
Yes, com.github.axet.maps aka "Maps" and its source code repository at Gitlab.

The original Maps.me application is still Free Software, its source code repository is located at Github. The whole Maps.me suite is actually Free Software, but for the Maps.me application no release archives or binaries are provided.
The OSM-Wiki provides a nice overview.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by XOleg View Post
I vote for green, red it's "danger", "attention"...
#offtopic
Not everywhere ...
In Japan for instance there is in production lines sometimes another meaning like red-running/working, green-stopped
instead of almost 99% European style red-stopped/problem, green-running
See
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art.../#!po=0.892857
chapter 'Actual condition survey' and 'Results'

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: