Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@Fellfrosch, I think its a brilliant idea! Now, when we talk about main menu, would be great to get rid of all these switches on the bottom (auto-center, auto-rotate, auto-zoom). We do have mapview buttons that we could use for all of them.

So, for mapview buttons:

Autocenter: I would suggest to have single tap to center and if the second tap will come in a short period of time (3 seconds?), then to center automatically. Next tap would release from autocenter.

For discoverability, I can add a short notification that would suggest to tap once more for autocenter.

For showing that autocenter is enabled, there are 2 options: add small "A" (to the right top, for example) or keep the button recessed. I think keeping button recessed (bit gray and such), while intuitive, will look ugly. So, I do prefer to have "A" or some other indicator instead.

For autozoom: you can enable it by tapping on scale. Not many probably know it, since there are not much in UI suggesting it.

Again, to show that autozoom is enabled, I can add small "A" on the top right.

To indicate that such switch is possible, notifications can be added to suggest autozoom tap (works only when autocenter works). So, 2 notifications for discoverability are needed: one suggesting to press on scale for autozoom when autocenter is enabled and one stating that autozoom requires autocenter (when user presses on scale but without autocenter enabled).

Autorotate: I would suggest to keep it as it is. Although, question is whether it would be better for users to have the same "A" indicator when enabled.

Thoughts?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
@rinigus

I think the way you describe the functionality is very good. I also thought about the autoscale function but didn't mentioned it because - as you said - there is no indicator, that it is a button.

For the indicator i personally wouldn't choose an A, but if you want to avoid the pressed button look, I would just set a small red dot, wich overlaps a little bit the icons.

Edit:
A further possibility is to outline the buttons not black when active but with a dark red. For the scale you than, just make the scale line in dark red.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by XOleg View Post
why did you choose the icon at the left for "offline mode"?
It's icons "Record" of tape recorder for me.
Maybe I'm very old...
Media skip/play/record/pause/etc buttons are all horizontal. The literal meaning of the one olf proposed is "skip forward" when horizontal.

But our uplink/downlink symbol is vertical and imo giving it a new meaning by blocking the up/downlink. Also the effect of "change the icon in place" when selecting another profil will contribute to the user understanding its meaning. What will happen when you go eg. from online to offline is that the trails disappear, the arrow-triangles stay in place and get blocked by the outer streaks.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Okay both arrows have the same color whereas the arrows for online/mixed ve a white one and a grey one, right?
So it is on purpose?
Yes. In sailfish icons the highlighted areas suggest "activity" to me. So i think of the online/mixed icons showing activity on the up-line, the offline icon is actively "blocking".

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Regarding the center on current position button, I would even go a step further:
Not quoting all because i fully agree.
I proposed a long-press for this also some pages back but now that rinigus mentioned to make the 2 functions of the buttons available by cycling through them it even makes more sense to me.
That brings to mind we are switching states and that could be made clear to the user by having three or two distinctly designed states of the buttons in question.
For consistency reasons i would keep the white(or black) background button part unchanged but signal the current state whithin the icon/symbol.
Cycling through features is always better to understand when the thing you click on reflects the state you are currently in.
Also +1 for notifications or/and additional "A" rinigus mentioned to make it ultimately clear.

@Fellfroschs red dot idea is along thoses lines whereas i think changing the white/black shadowy backgroundbutton will do no good.

Last edited by mosen; 2019-03-24 at 10:11.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2016 @ Yekaterinbourg, Russia
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
It was distinct and at the same time in the same line of the icons as offline and mixed. not sure whether that symbol is used anymore for recording, but I never checked
@rinigus, @mosen. It' possible to see exemples of button "record" https://habr.com/ru/company/audiomania/blog/423017/

But, yes. It's artwork :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Red dot would be good as well, I think. This will allow to have the same symbol for scale bar (which is not shown as a button) and buttons. And sufficiently clear, I think.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Fully agree to removing.
Like the idea of toggling and prefer the little red dot to show 'auto'.

@mosen
Okay!
I only thought the left displays incoming data as white and the right oitgoing as grey. That is why I suggested to have all left white and all right grey.
But hey, you are the designer. So your choice.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Haha, indeed! I forgot about large tapes

Cut from the video so you do not have to listen to modern talking

I still think we can define a new meaning for millennials.
They seem to believe everything they are told...

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
But hey, you are the designer. So your choice.
I know designers, they do not discuss and explain much during the process.
So i can not be a designer
And on top, design that needs an explanation is as good as a joke that needs one.

Re-Reddot, That makes so much sense. Lets do it.
Attached Images

Last edited by mosen; 2019-03-24 at 10:37.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
just a quick and dirty example with red dots:
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
just a quick and dirty example with red dots:
Nice!
I have the exact same idea in incscape open and you posted earlier.
Red is not ideal, clashing with the compass. How about bright green, orange, or blue?
Also the upper left placement in buttons is complicated because in your draft the reddot now exceeds the size of the icon.
But maybe it can be placed like that as an overlay, only containing the red-dot, @rinigus?
Furthermore, i do have gripes with the compass now having a state where it overlaps or points to the red-dot. Will look into how it appears when centered.
EDIT: Tried centered versions of the dot/led and it looks so awful i will not post and stay with upper right placement like fellfrosh suggests also.

Otherwise. the dot is a great idea, in the scale it already looks superb. Bravo all!

EDIT, only to prove the coincidence that i have the same thing going in my head as fellfrosch: (dot is obviously broken somehow)
Attached Images

Last edited by mosen; 2019-03-24 at 11:20.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
@mosen regarding the colour, I think it does't really matter, because the needle has two sides. So you still know in which direction it shows. For me red means active. So I would choose red. Anyway, we could use a darker one than that I used on that first shot. That should solve the problem!?

By the way, i mentioned it before, adding a grey circle to the the compass like in your screenshot and in some of your proposals before looks in my eyes much better. Maybe @rinigus wants to use that icon, instead of just showing the needle.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post: