Notices

Originally Posted by matrim View Post
Webtexter won't intefere with using skype as they are totally seperate and 12voip should be compatable with Webtexter as it is part of the betamax group of providers.
I meant using skype trough webtexter. I guess it can't be done. I'll try to get 12voip working together with webtexter. Maybe I'll switch from using 12voip as my preferred voip service instead of skype as well. I guess it is not possible to call skype contacts from 12voip is it?

Google Voice is still US-only.

Since the OP is using pounds and we are a rather international bunch over here...

Originally Posted by RDJEHV View Post
I meant using skype trough webtexter. I guess it can't be done. I'll try to get 12voip working together with webtexter. Maybe I'll switch from using 12voip as my preferred voip service instead of skype as well. I guess it is not possible to call skype contacts from 12voip is it?
It doesn't support skype. Webtexter supports all Betmax style providers (12voip, Voipcheap, voipbuster etc), blueface (an Irish Voip provider), WebSMS.ru, exetel and all Irish mobile networks.

All the above providers give a http interface \ webpage for sending sms and webtexter calls this to send the SMS. Other similar providers could be reasonably easily added to the list too if they support something similar but unfortunately skype doesn't provide a http interface to send messages so can't be added.

The Following User Says Thank You to matrim For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peet View Post

Since the OP is using pounds and we are a rather international bunch over here...

Just because the OP used the "£", doesn't mean the OP is there "permanently", nor does it mean that someone "else" can not benefit from the info. The Canadian "mate" may be able to find some benefit. Its also why I included the (US) country designation.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-20 at 17:51.

managed to get it to work, settings in webtexter are:

* provider: other Betamax
* don't use cabbage web proxy
* Betamax URL: http://www.12voip.com/myaccount/sendsms.php

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Peet View Post

Once a Google Voice account is set up, SMS messages can be sent and received through any email address, anywhere in the world. For setting up the account, there are ways to get through Google's verification by using (1) a proxy server with a US IP, and (2) a temporary virtual US phone number that will forward to your real number anywhere in the world. You can look it up on - guess where - Google. Search "Google Voice Canada" and follow the link to www.wifitalk.ca . The link to themainframe.ca has an out-of-date suggestion of opening a Gizmo5 account. (You can't get a new account on Gizmo5 since Google Voice took it over - must be too evil for Google).

Amazingly, colnago is right about the Canadian friend, so long as the friend is in Southern Alberta (area code 403). Apparently, nobody has told Google that Southern Alberta is outside the USA. That's the only part of Canada where you can set up Google Voice without US proxy IP and US phone (real or virtual).

If you don't like fiddling around with proxies and virtual phones, you could follow any of matrim's suggestions, or you could use http://www.ipipi.com/ . It costs much less than most mobile providers charge (and if you imagine that Google services are free, you are not thinking very hard). You can use it to send SMS from your browser or your email client, among many other messaging options.

Finally, you could use email for no cost beyond the 2 or 3 kB of data, if you use the email client rather than webmail. Does your Canadian friend have an email client on his phone?

You can also get superb results that I have been gaining by utilizing the sms marketing app for my business. I had this idea when I was seeking the affordable business growth options and came across some positive reviews of the app for text message marketing for car dealerships. It is truly great.