I can't say that I really hate Elop, since he's probably doing what he thinks is right. Even if he's a Trojan he's just a little spyboy in it for the money and glory. Nokia is not worth people lamenting over it. It's a big corporation with bloody power struggles going on inside it.

Nokia has lost a lot of trust here in Finland during its downfall. But it must be said that even when it was very successful there was some talk here how it bullied its subcontractors into very Nokia-favorable deals just because it could. A bit like I read yesterday that Apple is forcing its subcontractors to lower the prices because they order so much stuff from them. It's all just business as usual.

One Nokia subcontractor (whose name I can't remember, but it is pretty big one here) was interviewed and they told that they started to let Nokia go a few years ago and that they are doing so much more business nowadays when Nokia can't control them anymore. Here in Finland it is thought at the moment that because Nokia used to gobble all the best engineers earlier and is now letting them go that we will start to have loads of new startups. There probably won't be another massive Nokia here but a lot of smaller firms, like Rovio, which of course is getting pretty big in its own right.

Personally I wouldn't mind if Nokia moved to USA, since it seems that all its decisions are already coming from there. The national pride that I felt about Nokia is pretty much disappeared first with Elop coming onboard and then with WP becoming their new and only platform. I guess I am a bit angry about the situation but largely because in the end Apple, Google and MS will be the ones controlling the smartphone markets. All those companies are "evil" in their own ways, and even if I certainly don't see Nokia as a saint it still tried to push open source stuff and linux into limelight. To me the smartphone choice will be between Android and WP, and I can't say that I really like either of them.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
Blame Canada!
This is how I've felt while watching Elop's W9:

"Oh my God, they killed Kenny (Maemo/Meego) ! ...You bastards!"

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
elop's dad didnt buy a rubber.. thats where it all started..

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Another Anagram for his own name:
Pee Helps Not
OMG this is brilliant! Stephen Elop is the incarnation of what Anssi Vanjoki said about Android!

...too bad Nokia decided to get warm by soiling itself instead...

See here http://store.ovi.com/content/121617

The protagonist of the game is called "Elpo" that landed on an oil rig, will try to destroy it by giving it focus. Your task will be to extinguish the flames set by this shady character by using a fire hydrant, which can be activated with a tap on the button at the bottom right.

It's only for Symbian 3.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
This is how I've felt while watching Elop's W9:

"Oh my God, they killed Kenny (Maemo/Meego) ! ...You bastards!"

MeeGo version:

Name:  otep_100x100.png
Views: 293
Size:  6.7 KB

The problem is not mainly elop but the board, who just messed up everything in the last years. Of course they did some things right, like acquiring Qt, but they did it too late. When I first used an iphone I knew what I saw was the future (it was easy to see), somehow nokia did not. The switch to Qt took its time, but I wonder if it would have happened faster without all the destractions along the road. Like the maemo/moblin merge, huge investments in symbian and some of those failed ovi services. I think the board members are in general very risk-averse, they prefered symbian because it was considered a mature platform, and now they don't believe their own meego software guys can compete with google/apple/microsoft, even if the signs are there. Rather choosing the easy way by embracing microsoft. Thats the way to make your company more and more irrelevant.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
The problem is not mainly elop but the board, who just messed up everything in the last years. Of course they did some things right, like acquiring Qt, but they did it too late. When I first used an iphone I knew what I saw was the future (it was easy to see), somehow nokia did not. The switch to Qt took its time, but I wonder if it would have happened faster without all the destractions along the road. Like the maemo/moblin merge, huge investments in symbian and some of those failed ovi services. I think the board members are in general very risk-averse, they prefered symbian because it was considered a mature platform, and now they don't believe their own meego software guys can compete with google/apple/microsoft, even if the signs are there. Rather choosing the easy way by embracing microsoft. Thats the way to make your company more and more irrelevant.
You could not have told it better if you tried and i fully agree totally !!!.

Nokia's weakness is and always was from the software side not the hardware and that was clear to see too.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Elop bombed Nokia's stock value by ~50% in 5 months.
And he's still not fired.

Shoot the damn board.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants

Tags
boring thread, hatersgonnahate, here be ranting, off topic, oh boy!!!