Active Topics

Being the Linux geek that I am, I always check into Distrowatch to see what goodies I can play around with.

Well I may have found a useful (in the near future) distribution for our N900s!

Igelle from the description seems to be an independent Linux distribution, that has it's own interface (so doesn't use RPM or DEB packages, has it's own package management AND doesn't use Gnome or KDE or anything else I've seen before)

Best part, here is their response when I inquired about N900 support

"We have not tested on the N900 hardware, but we are quite confident that there will be no issues. This device is one of our planned targets. We also hope we will be able to support the older N8x0 series and even the N700."

So there you have it, another possibility for the N900's future (and we all know that the N900 has a lot of possibilities!

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Wow.. that's kind of cool.

Would be interesting to see a single OS across all the "tablets" .

We'll see who gets there first... MeeGo or Igelle.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

It certainly would be. I found it interesting that they aren't basing their distribution on anything else, that very rarely happens anymore.

Most of the time to make releases faster, they base it on Debian, Fedora, Slackware, Gentoo or SuSE. (Pretty sure I nailed all the core distros, although I don't really count SuSE ('cause I hate it) because it's still RPM based, and uses the same general package management system that Fedora / Redhat uses.)

Igelle does sound like they are trying for a universal platform, a sort of run on desktop, mobile, your toaster, etc.

slaapliedje

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
http://www.igelledash.com/
Coming on January 27, 2011.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The land of windmills, tulips and marihuana..
Within 3 days it would be ready.

The Following User Says Thank You to curryfun For This Useful Post:
hmm.. from the about page of job and esther technologies...

Our company is built on a Bible-oriented philosophy that places great emphasis on personal integrity, individual growth, and the power of a healthy family. We firmly believe that Christian values must shape the way we do business in order to provide a corporate atmosphere that promotes mental stability, creative breakthrough, advancement in learning, strong families, and win-win business relationships with the people and companies we have the pleasure of transacting with

The Following User Says Thank You to ny-hardcore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United Arab Emirates
will it be free or?

The Following User Says Thank You to ayazpak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
"We have not tested on the N900 hardware, but we are quite confident that there will be no issues. This device is one of our planned targets. We also hope we will be able to support the older N8x0 series and even the N700."
I have a N8x0 lying around which I would gladly test this on, just for kicks. Maybe someone should tip them that the "N700" doesn't exist - I guess they meant the 770 (without an "N" :-).

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
This is coming out TOMORROW!

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United Arab Emirates
I will out today, waiting 4 it........

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayazpak For This Useful Post: