Posts: 90 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Indore,India
thnx steve for creating apple which gave us garageband (ftw)
May steve R.I.P (Rock In Peace)

The Fastest Transition.ini file is here !! Along with Smooth transitions !!

Plz help in expanding the harmattan icons pack !!

Can i has thanks ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidd211095 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Sevastopol, Cremea, Ukraine
RIP. Steve

(((

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
My core intention was not to correct you; it was to amuse myself and possibly others. I'm quite certain that you know your way 'round a dictionary; no demonstrations of competence are required here. In a grammar war, there will be no winners.

Besides, I've been reading your posts for a long time now and when they're good, they're good (e.g. your recent post on vi was useful and informative, some time ago I learned about the Right To Repair Bill from one of your posts etc. etc.)

So, err... peace!
It's all good--I was just rockin' the direct reply... also I was right. "Puff piece" is a common term and some people don't even fully understand the term they're using (like a lot of common phrases). Also remember to read my stuff keeping in mind that I'm not trying to be hostile--it's just a simple correction and I like to cite things as evidence and that sometimes comes off as pounding away. (Too often someone will dismiss a correction without citation, so it's a habit.)

In a gesture of good will, please accept this offering of popcorn while you read my rambling posts:

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
A whole bunch of discussions about basically what some people are labeling Jobs as their personal hero; keyword being personal.

You simply cannot argue that. I've labeled Steve Jobs many times prior, as our generations P.T. Barnum, a seriously skilled salesman that could sell and hype anything to the point people would line up and disregard what most would call common sense.

I don't think that's a bad thing. But to continue down a path where you spout out such negativity as I've seen in this thread over a person who just recently died - I find it tasteless.

If you have nothing good to say, then say nothing. If you have nothing but bad to say, that's on you. When you pass away, who knows what people will say about you.

Regardless it speaks volumes as to your ability to be compassionate about the loss of life. I'm sticking with what I've always said about Steve Jobs - salesman, visionary. I state the last one because the man undeniably decided he was going to do things his way. I didn't agree with even half of what he had done, what he said was even less agreeable by my standards.

But he went from the garage, to a startup, to a major business in a lifetime. If I'm only so lucky to do the same in my lifetime via my own rules.

I hope the same happens to you - the success, not the death. That last one is inevitable. The success is due to how well you work what you've been given and create your own path.

My take, my own personal opinions. Carry on...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It's all good--I was just rockin' the direct reply... also I was right. "Puff piece" is a common term and some people don't even fully understand the term they're using (like a lot of common phrases). Also remember to read my stuff keeping in mind that I'm not trying to be hostile
You don't come off as hostile. This is the internet, after all, so you'd have to try much harder than that

--it's just a simple correction and I like to cite things as evidence
A commendable trait.

and that sometimes comes off as pounding away.
Saucy!

(Too often someone will dismiss a correction without citation, so it's a habit.)
Agreed. The lack of citations marks me out as a rather lazy author. However, I don't see where your cited source defines the transitive verb 'to puffer <object>', so we'll have to agree to disagree about the following part of your post:
I was right

Finally:
In a gesture of good will, please accept this offering of popcorn while you read my rambling posts
It would be pretty cold of me not to accept your offering of virtual popcorn. Thanks for the popcorn, and the posts.

:wq! /home/user/off-topic

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-10-07 at 18:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
The way reports about Steve Jobs' life are now popping up on almost every news site reminds me a bit of Citizen Kane...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Romania
Even though I never bought one, you knew how to sell your phones...
Rest In Peace Steve.

Originally Posted by marrat View Post
The way reports about Steve Jobs' life are now popping up on almost every news site reminds me a bit of Citizen Kane...
You mean "'tizen Kane" (a tag somebody made in the Tizen thread here at Talk)

@gerbick - sorry, not meant to be directly aimed at you

He was a brilliant businessman but that's as far as it goes for me. While I can see that, when I read the stories about his younger days (his pocketing a bonus that should've been split with The Woz, his failing to acknowledge he had a daughter for many years of her life), I just really can't respect him.

And I know this talks about their computers (which are not locked down, I know), I just find it funny that a company that once put out this advert would try so hard to make jailbreaking illegal. Apple certainly weren't the first to lock down their phones - Sony Ericsson would make authors of flashing tools and real phone exploring tools (read: full access to the filesystem) play in a cat-and-mouse game of certificates and updated phone revisions - but it was Apple who took the most extreme approach of trying to take away your freedom.

According to Wikipedia, he was a Buddhist. Isn't a core concept of Buddhism karma? Sure I'm being horribly callous now, but I'm sure my words will be offset by the people still crying over him, busting one over him...

Last edited by jstokes; 2011-10-08 at 09:13.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm not sure why my name was referenced. Regardless, I've said my opinion. And you've said yours. Let's leave it at that.

Edit: No worries mate. I thought I pissed off somebody. Again.

Last edited by gerbick; 2011-10-08 at 09:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:

Tags
r.i.p., steve jobs