Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
@fanoush

Code:
~ $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.18-omap1 (root@bifh.research.nokia.com) (gcc version 3.4.4 (release) (CodeSourcery ARM 2005q3-2)) #2 Wed Mar 7 15:36:09 EET 2007
~ $  cat /mnt/initfs/etc/initfs_version
osso-RX-34 2007-10 1
Thanks. This means most/all stuff using kernel modules should work (cifs, uinput in kbdd,..). Reflashing old SDHC kernel may probably work too (you may miss some bugfixes in kernel but maybe nothing critical), worth of trying if you can cope with reboot loop and reflashing kernel back. Bootmenu will not work until updated, but most likely it will be possible to dualboot between older and newer system.

Umm, on second thought, the updated video stuff is probably also in kernel so maybe older kernel is not good idea after all, it may break video player.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-03-23 at 15:19. Reason: second thought

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I guess I'm just going to have to go and put a "Not fixed in 3.2007.10-7" comment against most of my N800 bugs as very few seem to have been addressed by this firmware.

Not quite the improvement I'd been hoping for, fingers crossed firmware 4 will be the one. Don't keep me waiting too long Nokia!

There is one thing I dont get. After flashing with new firmware, our devices will have factory settings, so EVERYTHING has to be done again. That will consume a few hours... One month, maybe two or three months later, the next firmware will be out, so again installing all stuff again? That is not very linux-like, rather it's windows-like. And all this makes the "booting from SD card" stuff I use completely useless, cause my backups will last only till the next update

And what's with these timeouts that then go back and pull the whole damn file again? Cmon this is BS!!

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Ocean City
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Note to NOKIA. Please please please. Let the download happen BEFORE we have to connect our devices. No reason at all to have to waste THE PRECIOUS (battery power) waiting on a download.
I used the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard
from the bottom of this page:http://www.nokiausa.com/support/phon...1,N800,00.html
and
OS 2007 edition v. 3.2007.10-7 from here http://maemo.org/downloads/nokia_N80...ED_MR0_ARM.bin
First downloaded the new software OS 2007 to my computer.
Then ran Wizard, when asked to download software from Internet, I declined- pointing to the already downloaded software.

Originally Posted by alvindd View Post
Milhouse said,
"Try "uname -v" at the command line, if the build date is after 1 Jan 2007 you most likely have an SDHC enabled kernel."
I did that today and got: #2 Wed Mar 7 15:36:09 EEt 2007
so does that mean we can use a SDHC card?
You're having a laugh...

I made that comment at a time when all non-SDHC firmware had 2006 build dates (ie. all Nokia official builds). It wasn't meant to mean that all firmwares with 2007 builds dates would support SDHC, just that at the time the only firmware with SDHC support had 2007 build dates.

Now that Nokia have today released a new firmware without SDHC support but with a 2007 build date, that extremely simplistic method for identifying SDHC support no longer applies.

It has also been stated earlier in this thread that the new firmware DOES NOT support SDHC.

Originally Posted by DCr33P View Post
There is one thing I dont get. After flashing with new firmware, our devices will have factory settings, so EVERYTHING has to be done again. That will consume a few hours... One month, maybe two or three months later, the next firmware will be out, so again installing all stuff again? That is not very linux-like, rather it's windows-like. And all this makes the "booting from SD card" stuff I use completely useless, cause my backups will last only till the next update
You're right, and plans are being made to make life easier in future.

For those of us who don't boot from SD it didn't take long to get up and running again. The standard backup (and it found the backup by itself and suggested to use it, after the flash upgrade) kept track of email and settings and stuff, and sources.list, so the only thing I had to to after the update was to re-pair the phone (it was already configured by the backup so it was only a question of inputting the pairing code the first time). My wi-fi settings, all there. I had to walk through the program manager listing and reinstall the apps, that was quick enough. But I didn't have to input the repository listing.
About the only stuff I had to re-install from my own tar backup was the maemo maps (as I don't keep them on the SD card), and some stuff I had put manually in /usr/local/bin (like gnu tar).
All in all, not much trouble. A matter of fifteen minutes total I would say, upgrade and all.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
There is also, along with the Camera application, the "mnotify" toolbar applet.
It is available from the Nokia repositories too.
It is very handy has it notifies you whether your Gmail account has got mail or not without the need to keep a browser open (and without the need to remember to go take a look at the Gmail web page).

I'd actually say that unless you are experiencing a problem with the previous 2.2006.51-6 firmware or need specific video support, this new 3.2007.10-7 firmware isn't that big of a deal.