Notices

Is there a usable Usenet client for the n8x?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I think there is a Pan port but I'm not entirely sure.

Also see http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16726 although it might be a bit dated.

There used to be a newsreader called pan... but i don't know if it still works with latest OS (and also don't remember if I was happy with it.) Micronews appeared recently but I don't think it actually works yet. They say Claws Mail does news and some (perhaps many) really seem to like claws. I assume you could use older stuff like tin or pine for text-based groups?

I guess that nowadays many ppl only use usenet for binaries; occasionally I would use Easynews's web based interface which imo is great for tablet.

It seems like it would be easy to fix up a simple binary downloader for maemo.... have a list of your group's headers with little check boxes aside each one.... check the ones you want (hardware key + click to select a range) and a button tto puush to download to selected location. Perhps program could show complete multipart msgs as one entry to keep things neat.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto
Text newsgroups would be great ... as is, I have to use webnews to get my science-fiction newsgroups on news.sff.net, and I'm not all that happy.

Oh yea... I seem to recall that lynx (old console www client) worked well for news. To bad microb couldn't do news:// in a basic threaded way. I haven't really used a (non-nokia) computer since '06 ... can firefox/opera/explorer thread news these days?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
NNTPgrab web interface allows you to remotely grab binaries (NZB). There is also HellaNZB. You can also use tin or slrn over SSH.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by lordapophis View Post
Is there a usable Usenet client for the n8x?
Have a look here :

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=hellanzb

Hope you like ...