Hello all,

I'm a new member to this forum, and hope to enjoy my stay as much as possible. I have a few questions regarding the N8100 Tablet before I go out and buy it the day after tomorrow.

1. Is it possible to play online flash games?
2. Can I use AIM on the N8100?
3. Can I watch you-tube videos?
4. How does the speed compared to a regular computer. (Assuming both devices are connected to one same router with a DSL internet speed.)
5. Is the N8100 device compatible with most 3rd party online software such as blogging and such?

Thank you very much in advance to all members. I hope to receive some answers to my five questions! I really appreciate anyone reading this and especially the ones that reply =)

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ USA-New Mexico
1. Yes
2. I don't know on that one
3. Yes, can be slow at times
4. About the same until you load a bigger page like engadget the may 2x as slow, also after a surfing for a long time its gets VARY sluggish.
5. Don't think so, but I am not positive what you mean

Also its an N810 not N8100

Thanks for the reply. Any other addition will greatly be appreciated. I really need to know if AIM is compatible. Thanks for the correction too, my bad.

2. yes you can use pidgin or you can modify the built in chat program.

Originally Posted by SKaero View Post
1. Yes
2. I don't know on that one
3. Yes, can be slow at times
4. About the same until you load a bigger page like engadget the may 2x as slow, also after a surfing for a long time its gets VARY sluggish.
5. Don't think so, but I am not positive what you mean

Also its an N810 not N8100
Regarding Youtube, if you use a program called mytube, which will require you to install mplayer, you can view videos at full speed as you would on the youtube website on a desktop. If you view the videos from the page it will be a little slower.

in Mytube you can search videos using any criteria, as you would on the website, but I don't believe you can loginto your youtube account etc. You can also save any videos to your memory card which is quite nice.

The internet speed is the same. I download podcasts at 500KB/s over my cable connection.
While browsing sluggishness will occur based on how big the page is I thin this has to do more with a memory constraint than with an issue with handling internet speed.

You can blog I think using a prog called mauku, but search maemo.org for all the different programs available.

Also check out this thread you might find useful info regarding useful apps.

alright thanks! Also how come people are complaining about the speed? Is this because they have really high expectations or is it reality? As for now I really will go buy it tomorrow

When I bought my N810, first weeks I was comparing the performance with my phone. The interface is snappier and websites load faster than on my phone's browser, and youtube videos play in the standard resolution instead of the reduced res version... I hadn't expected it to be faster, I was expecting performance similar to a phone with bigger screen.

If you compare it to a computer it's definitely slower Many flash games probably run too slow on it to be playable. Browse with many windows open, or just a few heavy sites and it gets slow. The frontpage of internettablettalk is sluggish, for example, though it stutters on my computer too so I'm not sure if it's a good comparison.

Regular windows software doesn't work and can not be installed. There's a collection of linux software adapted to tablet available.

Originally Posted by acer800 View Post
alright thanks! Also how come people are complaining about the speed? Is this because they have really high expectations or is it reality? As for now I really will go buy it tomorrow
Yes, that's exactly right, because some people want to compare it to the performance of a laptop/desktop.
It is a pocket size mobile computing device, and I would challenge anyone to find many similar pocketable devices with 3 year old technology capable of browsing at the speed of an N800/N810

Of course the newer stuff coming out will blow the N810 out of the water.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto
Mauku works for Twitter updates; there is no working Livejournal client that I know of, I just post from my LJ account when out of the house. FaceBook as well. (If you are a labour militant as I am, though, UnionBook.org does not work in the Microb browser.)

Originally Posted by brashley46 View Post
Mauku works for Twitter updates; there is no working Livejournal client that I know of, I just post from my LJ account when out of the house. FaceBook as well. (If you are a labour militant as I am, though, UnionBook.org does not work in the Microb browser.)
You are correct mauku is not the right one I was thinking of WordPy and confused it with mauku. According to the description this program is a working LiveJournal client.

I have never used either of these programs.