Closed Thread
good luck !

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
exams on monday and tuesday, then moar assembling!
If it's an electronic/computer engineering subject, you can likely ask people here at TMO for help :-)

I tried to read trough the whole thread, but it did not spot why did you choose to use this particular keyboard?
There are many better keyboards out there. For me swapping from Motorola Droid 4 keyboard to this would feel a big disappointment & regression.

- Hount

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Hount View Post
I tried to read trough the whole thread, but it did not spot why did you choose to use this particular keyboard?
because:
-it is available (both keypad and domesheet! 100 pieces)
-it is affordable (<10$ for keypad and domesheet)
-it has an easy contruction

stated a lot of times in this thread. for instance:

The reasons for this are repeated a lot of times in this thread! But -again- a quick recap: availability of both the keyboard and domesheet and ease of construction. A lot of suggestions resulted in keyboards that were not even for sale. Also, the way the a855 kb is made will result in a very simple and strong part.
or
This has been stated before, but again:
1. domesheet is not available
2. makes construction more complex and thus weaker.
As stated before, the key in building a successful qwerty-oh is using of-the-shelf products!

There are many better keyboards out there.
Sure there are! Find me one that fulfills all three. But given that I have searched for two months, I highly doubt you will find one.

Or design your own one!

For me swapping from Motorola Droid 4 keyboard to this would feel a big disappointment & regression.
Thanks for the compliment.. NOT! Anyway, it is all sold out!

Try to design and build your own, my files are online. I think you will very quickly run into a brick wall when you want to purchase your perfect keypad.

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Hount, you could try to build one with an N900 keyboard for yourself, Dirkvl did his first prototypes with an N900 keyboard, so we know that it works. You will likely have to buy a used N900 and butcher it for parts to get the keyboard and domesheet. That is not an option for Dirkvl when he is building 75 of them, but OK when just building one.

The Following User Says Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
Hount, you could try to build one with an N900 keyboard for yourself, Dirkvl did his first prototypes with an N900 keyboard, so we know that it works. You will likely have to buy a used N900 and butcher it for parts to get the keyboard and domesheet. That is not an option for Dirkvl when he is building 75 of them, but OK when just building one.
By the way if anybody does that someday, please give instructions for people not experienced in that sort of DIY. I have two N900, including one with broken USB port, and its keyboard would be perfect for me (I prefer it over the Droid's one, but understand there were constraints here).

Can anyone answer the below question please?

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Is your OH completely flat when closed? On mine, the top side of the external layer (where the camera hole is) is 2 mm away from the main part, while the bottom side firmly touches the main part. I tried to correct it but couldn't. The result is that the half profile is not "straight" when closed.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
By the way if anybody does that someday, please give instructions for people not experienced in that sort of DIY. I have two N900, including one with broken USB port, and its keyboard would be perfect for me (I prefer it over the Droid's one, but understand there were constraints here).
The constraints for not using the n900 keyboard were the availability of the keyboard and domesheet in large quantities. But also, I think the keyboard of the N900 is waaayyyyyyy too small for the Jolla.

If anyone still wants to persue this, let me know and I can help!

Is your OH completely flat when closed? On mine, the top side of the external layer (where the camera hole is) is 2 mm away from the main part, while the bottom side firmly touches the main part. I tried to correct it but couldn't. The result is that the half profile is not "straight" when closed.
they all seem to have that a little. there should be a gap -to be able to slide the keyboard out- all around, but it seems the hinge still pushes a bit to twist it.

because:
-it is available (both keypad and domesheet! 100 pieces)
-it is affordable (<10$ for keypad and domesheet)
-it has an easy contruction
Okay, thanks for the answer. I must have missed it (60+ pages, no wonder)

Sure there are! Find me one that fulfills all three. But given that I have searched for two months, I highly doubt you will find one.

Or design your own one!
Yes. I agree, there may not be any that match all three requirements. I don't have enough free time over my work and hobby projects to build my own. That's why I really appreciate your work on this. Thank you.

Thanks for the compliment.. NOT! Anyway, it is all sold out!
Okay... no need to be offensive. I was only asking why you chose this particular keyboard and gave my personal usage habit comparison to your current keyboard design. I've been following your work with great enthusiasm. But I chose not to order this particular keyboard for the reasons I stated earlier. Thanks for clarifying that all are sold out.

Try to design and build your own, my files are online. I think you will very quickly run into a brick wall when you want to purchase your perfect keypad.
That will most likely be the case if I would ever build my own keyboard. I would probably scrap my one keyboard from otherwise broken phone as I would require only one keyboard. Not 100 or 75.

- Hount

Last edited by Hount; 2014-04-04 at 12:10.

Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
After giving out my last N900 I've used so many good physical qwerty phones that I've grown out from the 3 row'er that I used to like with N900. I still have couple of N900 keyboards, circuit boards, broken screens and other spare parts if I ever were to use them in any project. I'll probably better recycle them as I'm not going to build anything out of them. But if you need them I'm happy to give the spare parts to you? After all it was you who brought up the N900. I'd prefer something with more keys .

- Hount

But if you need them I'm happy to give the spare parts to you?

- Hount
Thanks for the offer, but I have enough N900 and spares lying around myself :-)

Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty