Notices

http://www.zdez.org/kismet_2008-05-R1.tar.gz is the corresponding source.

1. If I wasn't running any other programs kismet ran for 50 minutes. When something else was going, after about 10 minutes I saw a dmesg indication it couldn't access the card. This is probably something simple.

2. kismet.conf has GPS off by default. This version wants to use hildon to enable it when you turn it on, but it fails because kismet tries to do so as root, not user. Even if it is already up (map) it will try to enable it (and fail). Kismet stops when this happens. If I run my minigpsd, it does get GPS, but something was wrong with the wifi, so no packets (kismet_server in one xterm, kismet_client in another).

I compiled libpcap.0.9.8 from the main archive sources to produce the .a file, and it will work statically linked (if a bit bigger). The earlier ones have a deb, so it shoudln't be that hard to make one for kismet.

Anyone want to start a maemo garage project for this?

In kismet_server.cc, gps will come on with the following hack (around line 2540). It turns the GPS on, but you need to shut it off manually (or add UID wrappers around gpsbt_stop, or leave the child running until signaled...).

Code:
#ifdef HAVE_HILDON
                fprintf(stderr, "Waiting for Hildon gps to enable...\n");
                int wpstat = 0;
                int pid = fork(); 
                if (!pid ) {
                        setuid(29999);
                        int gbret = gpsbt_start(NULL, 0, 0, 0 /* default port */, 
                                                status, STATUS_MAX, 
                                                0, &gpsbt_ctx);
                        printf("Hildon BT %d: %s\n", gbret, status);
                        exit(gbret);
                }
                else
                        waitpid(pid, &wpstat, 0 );
                sleep(3);
#endif

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
I changed it not to fork, and to do seteuid(suid_id) before, then seteuid(0) after gpsbt_start. setEuid, not setuid.

Nokia's GPS is not quite useless, but close. After standing outside for several minutes without lock I got the BT one from my motorcycle (in my room not near a window it locks in 30 seconds).

Fresh from a reboot (RSS feeder refreshes 8 hours, everything else off, etc. - anything that "turns on" the connection kills kismet), I ran the server in one xterm, the client in a second xterm (the base kismet program didn't work for some reason) and it just worked. Like when I wardrove with my Zaurus. Over 30 minutes, with GPS.

I had to reboot once to get wifi back, but most times just disconnect and reconnect worked.

Only conf file changes from stock (deb) install were gpson and pointing at /media/mmc1/Kismet for log files and the revised kismet_server.

Code:
diff -Bburw kismet-2008-05-R1/kismet_server.cc ../kismet-2008-05-R1/kismet_server.cc
--- kismet-2008-05-R1/kismet_server.cc  2008-04-08 02:39:47.000000000 -0500
+++ ../kismet-2008-05-R1/kismet_server.cc       2008-07-09 19:48:08.000000000 -0500
@@ -2533,12 +2533,12 @@

#ifdef HAVE_HILDON
                fprintf(stderr, "Waiting for Hildon gps to enable...\n");
-               if (gpsbt_start(NULL, 0, 0, 0 /* default port */, 
-                                               status, STATUS_MAX, 
-                                               0, &gpsbt_ctx) < 0) {
-                       printf("Hildon BT failed: %s\n", status);
-               }
-               sleep(1);
+       seteuid(suid_id);
+       int gbret = gpsbt_start(NULL, 0, 0, 0 /* default port */, 
+                               status, STATUS_MAX, 0, &gpsbt_ctx);
+       seteuid(0);
+       printf("Hildon BT %d: %s\n", gbret, status);
+       sleep(1); // for gpsd to start and open everything
 #endif

} else {

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Thanks, tz1!

I ran the server in one xterm, the client in a second xterm (the base kismet program didn't work for some reason) and it just worked. Like when I wardrove with my Zaurus. Over 30 minutes, with GPS.

I had to reboot once to get wifi back, but most times just disconnect and reconnect worked.

Only conf file changes from stock (deb) install were gpson and pointing at /media/mmc1/Kismet for log files and the revised kismet_server.
Bear with my ignorance on this. I have your latest kismet build but have not tried installing it yet. Some questions:

* Is it advisable to use apt-get to install, or will the application manager work?

* should I uninstall your 2007 version first, along with the old confs?

* Will your new .deb copy the confs to /etc, or do I have to do that manually?

* With your 2007 version, I've just been running 'kimet' from xterm as root. Can you please elaborate on on running the client and server in seperate xterms?

Thanks,

Steve

hildon-app-manager works.

Do uninstall the old version, but keep the confs around if you've done customization.

New deb puts confs in /etc/kismet. Defaults as noted above (but will change).

Kismet as root from xerm might still work. But it seemed to get hung after launching. kismet_server is setuid so runs from a normal xterm. So I run it in one xterm, then (after it says it is up) I launch kismet_client in a second xterm.

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
@tz1

I finally was able to install and test your new kismet build. Thanks again for your efforts! It's nice to see the n810 source as the default. Here's some observations and, yet again, more questions.

* I deleted all the old kismet conf files, and the old kismet binaries. I looked in App Manager, but could not find nokismet. Tried to install your new one, but it failed. I had to use Red Pill; then I could see and uninstall the old nokismet. After that, your new build installed OK ( I stayed in Red Pill for the install).

* In xterm as my regular user, I can launch kismet_server. But, I can't launch another instance of xterm to run kismet_client. I if try , it just pops me back into the already open xterm session, the one running kismet_server. I got around the problem thus:
Code:
 kismet_server &
, which gave me back my prompt to that I can then run kismet_client
Question: is there is an easier way.

* Enabling speech on the client does nothing, but it works OK if I enable it on the server.
Question: Is that normal?

* The problem that started with Diablo where pressing "r" no longer brings up the packet graph is still present. It worked fine with nokismet under Chinook:
Question: Do you have this problem?

* Still no signal strength reported.
Question: Do you have this problem?

Thanks,

Steve

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
for multiple terminals:
menu>windows>new window

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Thanks, tso!

Anyone had a chance to test tz1's latest and see if they also have the problems with no signal strength, speech only working on kismet_server, and "r" key not working? Also noticed that the battery meter does not work in Kismet (no biggie)

One nice thing about tz1's new build is that it installs it into the App Manager hierarchy, where it can be launched without using xterm. That begs the question - why bother running the client and server separately? Why not just launch it with a click?

Thanks,

Steve

I tried this package (the aircrack one, not the kismet one) but when I run one of the tools all I get is this message "Wireless tools not found".

Anyone know where you can get wireless-tools for OS2008? I found a package for OS2007, but noone for OS2008.

The 2007 one should work for 2008.